Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ait...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Bringing in a new lineup of veteran sa posters, revitalizing the media sphere

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

That doesn't really contradict my point? Not only is there still a pretty big difference between your earlier and current beliefs, but "a non-zero number of people not changing their beliefs" wouldn't contradict with the idea that many/most people will evolve their perspective as they get older and experience different things. And the point I was replying to (that zoomers will be less cynical/ironic) was particularly silly, given that millennials their age included earnest Obama supporters. It's hard to get much more naive and un-cynical than that.

The experience someone has as they become an adult and are finally exposed to the demands of adult life is going to have a big impact on their politics, which is also why I'm very hesitant to characterize "the zoomers" on the basis of a bunch of college students. And that gap will only increase in coming years, as the adult life experience of someone attending an elite institution will differ drastically from any of the other millions of zoomers who find themselves struggling to afford healthcare.

And in general I'm very hesitant to characterize the opinions of a generation based off of some articles and social media posts. It just sets off alarm bells in my head that we're just doing a bunch of meaningless Discourse.

Yeah, those are fair points. I just wonder if Zoomers have that much to lose given deteriorating economic conditions. Maybe a lot of Columbia students already have their futures secured; I don't even know.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

My God it all adds up

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yeah, those are fair points. I just wonder if Zoomers have that much to lose given deteriorating economic conditions. Maybe a lot of Columbia students already have their futures secured; I don't even know.

If any Zoomers still has a positive economic future to speak of, Ivy campuses are probably a good place to find them. The wealthiest among them however then may not have anything in particular to lose, because they can't really lose.

like, what's the worst than can happen to your career if your dad owns an airline or has been the president of a country since the 2000s

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 22:10 on Apr 26, 2024

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I'm a zoomer and I'm voting for Donald J Trump

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

I'm a zoomer and I'm voting for Donald J Trump

Stolen valor. You’re a millennial like the rest of us

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

HashtagGirlboss posted:

genx software engineer who hangs out the dna lounge

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I was a child prodigy of posting

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tokin opposition posted:

Latest wtyp guest is deeply boring

fits in with the rest of the cast

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

I was a child prodigy of posting

Llennial! Llennial!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

If any Zoomers still has a positive economic future to speak of, Ivy campuses are probably a good place to find them. The wealthiest among them however then may not have anything in particular to lose, because they can't really lose.

like, what's the worst than can happen to your career if your dad owns an airline or has been the president of a country since the 2000s

To be fair, there are subsets of people at institutions like Columbia and Harvard who are there on scholarships, though I actually strongly doubt those students make up the main "constituency" for politically active students.

But as others have mentioned, students like this opposing Israel is a big reason our ruling class and media are freaking out so much. I doubt they'd care nearly as much if these protests were just happening at the University of Tennessee or something. But this is a sign that the children of our political and business leaders might be turning on Israel. It's bad news if you're Israel!

I'm just very hesitant to attribute any of this stuff to "zoomers" as a generation, or to assume that they'll go on to become anything other than "the next generation of the ruling class, except now Israel is gauche like apartheid South Africa."

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

just about every poll and election supports the idea of the zoomers and alphas being fairly right-wing in sum, at least in europe. i do not know how you yankees do things in the horrific meat grinder you call a society.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

our youth are allowed to have left wing views because there is no electoral or otherwise means of enacting even vaguely left wing policy in America. countries with parliamentary systems at least have the theoretical threat of left wing electoral outcomes, requiring more active measures.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Best Friends posted:

our youth are allowed to have left wing views because there is no electoral or otherwise means of enacting even vaguely left wing policy in America. countries with parliamentary systems at least have the theoretical threat of left wing electoral outcomes, requiring more active measures.

also were further along in the neoliberal hollowing out of the state that also includes suppression of leftism. Cut rate contractors scamming the security state won’t be as effective as the old school cointelpro was.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Columbia U is pretty well buttoned up. I got a chance to see the big ol hubub from the subway brewing in the evening around 4, but the access control was tight. All gates to the 3ish block campus was locked up with comicly oversized padlocks, each padlock had a private security guard standing over it to ensure no one jiggled the lock. Saw news crews set up an establishing shot and 8000 real cops behind them. No idea what's up in the walled garden so I left and went to go do normal things instead.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

V. Illych L. posted:

just about every poll and election supports the idea of the zoomers and alphas being fairly right-wing in sum, at least in europe. i do not know how you yankees do things in the horrific meat grinder you call a society.
Public schools started having neo-nazi and bonafide racism for the first time around ~2017 here and a lot of teachers were/are freaking out. Teens are obsessed with Andrew Tate right now too.

so.. it's probably a mixed bag in yankland. On average millennials were typical Daily Show liberals (aka simply anti-republican funny face bush=monkey) as the overwhelming solid cohort across the board, but there was very very few what you could ostensibly call some form of "left-wing" (outside of LF/cspam) and maybe low single digit in the far-right/neo-nazi genre (which was mostly non-existent for awhile). But now Zoomers probably have a larger contingent who could be called "left-wing" than prior millennials did, but also far bigger portion in the far-right Andrew Tate simp genre at the same time. so one was more homogeneous, and the other now more heterogeneous and spread out across various right-wing to DSA

e: typo

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:59 on Apr 27, 2024

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Oh man that Civil War movie sounded like dog poo poo

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
had Matt been there for the Civil War ep he’d have suggested the movie roll to credits on this

https://youtu.be/AjilwTUGE5g?si=9pYFwP6CaJhB5tym

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

KomradeX posted:

Oh man that Civil War movie sounded like dog poo poo

that's what everyone says and then i listen to the hate watch and lemon party guys say it whips rear end. i'll probably watch it but through the lens of the journalists as villains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Dr. Killjoy posted:

had Matt been there for the Civil War ep he’d have suggested the movie roll to credits on this

https://youtu.be/AjilwTUGE5g?si=9pYFwP6CaJhB5tym

Matt FTW