Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey! Sorry if there was a better thread to post this in. I looked but couldn't find anything.

I'm looking at buying a new place to live. This place may not have a study for me to have a seperate PC\Room for gaming and being a geek.

So what I'm thinking of doing instead is wall-mounting a big screen (Say 50 inch) in the living room, using it as a TV (obviously), hooking up my game consoles as well as my PC. That way I can make badly worded SomethingAwful threads from my living room!

I figure I'd get a wireless keyboard\mouse, and a fold-away table for when I'm not lazily scrolling through YouTube and stuff.

Is this a possible thing? Is this a doable thing? What are the pros\cons of this setup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

How many consoles? Most/all new TV's have multiple HDMI inputs so it's a non-issue. Conversely, some new TV's don't have legacy inputs or make the old consoles look like crap, so if you're looking to hook-up pre-HDMI consoles you'll probably not want to go with an all-in-one solution.

Either way, using a computer on a TV is a miserable experience and I don't recommend it unless all you're using that computer for is gaming.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

ItBreathes posted:

How many consoles? Most/all new TV's have multiple HDMI inputs so it's a non-issue. Conversely, some new TV's don't have legacy inputs or make the old consoles look like crap, so if you're looking to hook-up pre-HDMI consoles you'll probably not want to go with an all-in-one solution.

Either way, using a computer on a TV is a miserable experience and I don't recommend it unless all you're using that computer for is gaming.

Probably just a Switch and a PS4. I don't have either yet, but I like to future-proof.

What makes using a computer on a TV so miserable?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's real, real big, and most software is not designed to be pleasant to interact with on a screen of that size. Hunting around for window controls and reading poorly scaled text gets old fast.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

ItBreathes posted:

It's real, real big, and most software is not designed to be pleasant to interact with on a screen of that size. Hunting around for window controls and reading poorly scaled text gets old fast.

These sound like issues I was having when I switched to a 4K screen. Most programs have scaled text these days. What window controls did you find to be a particular pain in the rear end?

I don't mean to be deliberately difficult (Though I acknowledge I'm doing a pretty drat good job of doing so!)

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Any reason you wouldn't use a laptop for shitposting from the couch?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chikimiki posted:

Any reason you wouldn't use a laptop for shitposting from the couch?

I absolutely could do that, but I'm also thinking about gaming. My PC is where I do most of my gaming.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Just go hook your computer up to whatever tv you have already and see if it works for you. I did the monitor-tv thing years ago and it was a pain but maybe things have changed.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I did TV as monitor for a while and it's not great. Apart from the issues with UI scaling, TVs generally have much lower pixel density which means most text tuned for a PC monitor will look crap on a TV.

If the use case for plugging your PC into your TV is gaming, Steam's Big Picture mode is far from perfect but provides a nice tv-friendly, controller driven interface and you can add non Steam games as shortcuts. I eventually got a Steam Link once we had a dedicated study for the PC, but Valve have stopped making them. I guess the Nvidia Shield TV does something similar?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
The Shield does both Nvidia's own streaming (if you own a GeForce GPU) as well as Steam streaming, since Steam Link became an app a few months ago. Obviously this will work better if both the PC and the Shield are wired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
I've been running an HTPC for 8 years. I've been on 4k TV for the last 18 months. It was a lot harder to make it all work back in the beginning, compared to now.

The text scaling on my 4k 65" TV is fine. It's still got some corner-cases (old games), but most newer applications and game handle the scaling seamlessly. And because the panel supports 1080p @ 120hz I end up using that for most games, so then the text is nice and huge on old games.

The only hard problem is viewing web content (because your web browser's rendered pages don't automatically scale to your windows text size). But I've had success viewing most websites with FORCE MINIMUM FONT SIZE to 17.

That works with SA Forums, Facebook, Google, Amazon, you name it. I only have issues on layout on a few older sites, or maybe a making a plane reservation (easy to turn off the override).

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 23, 2019