Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I've been looking to develop a career in robotics, and I've noticed that there's a decent number of those jobs in Boston. Trouble is, I have absolutely zero interest in big-city life (much of what I like to do in my spare time requires more than minimum living space). How feasible is it to commute from somewhere with more or less sane housing prices? Having experienced its rush-hour traffic getting home from a trade show, I'm assuming I'd want to do so by train, is that correct? Which cities with train stations are worth living in? Is there anything else in particular I should know? Thank you.

Cockmaster fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

:wrongcity: :wrongcity: :wrongcity: :wrongcity:
:wrongcity: :wrongcity: :wrongcity: :wrongcity:

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

you can either live in the city or be in suburb hell but its more expensive than other states and it’s super not worth moving here to not engage in the local life

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I'm not even sure how to define sane living prices any more. If you want, you could live in New Hampshire on the cheap and commute 2 hours a day by train. Or :wrongcity:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Yeah Boston is a pricy city and Eastern/Central Mass is pricy too. The Commuter Rail isn't awful but it's definitely not 100% reliable. Anywhere that has a proper MBTA subway stop is going to cost you.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Cockmaster posted:

I've been looking to develop a career in robotics, and I've noticed that there's a decent number of those jobs in Boston. Trouble is, I have absolutely zero interest in big-city life (much of what I like to do in my spare time requires more than minimum living space). How feasible is it to commute from somewhere with more or less sane housing prices? Having experienced its rush-hour traffic getting home from a trade show, I'm assuming I'd want to do so by train, is that correct? Which cities with train stations are worth living in? Is there anything else in particular I should know? Thank you.
Your post is fairly nonspecific about how rural you want or what your budget is. It’s not clear what you mean by more or less sane, but if you’re working in robotics you ought to be able to afford something nice, I guess. One nice thing about Boston is that things get leafy and spacious real quick outside the city proper. Consider West Cambridge or Somerville. If you’re looking to really be farther out, start looking at where the Commuter Rail stops. Towns like Lincoln, Concord and Lexington are great, just be prepared to shell the gently caress out if you’re looking to buy. You could even live somewhere like Newburyport, which is about an hour away by train on the New Hampshire border. This is assuming you’re really interested in taking the Commuter Rail in to work everyday, which plenty of people do, but everyone else just drives in and it’s not THAT bad. It’s a pain, but Massholes also just love to bitch.

Your best bet may be to come here and explore!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Knowing how much space you really want/need and a rough budget would help a lot. Do you need a spare bedroom, or a garage or shed? Are you going to make a ton of noise with whatever your hobbies are?

Lots of people are trying to do the same thing as you, so prices for more space in transit-connected towns are also pretty bad. What kind of commute are you prepared to take?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Springfield, MA is pretty nice & rural and there are commuter busses that go to Boston

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I dunno what your threshold for big-city life is, but Boston Dynamics is in Waltham, which I would regard as fairly small city, mid-size town in feel.
You could certainly find a living situation that grants you a decent commute and is not thronging with tourist like downtown is. If iRobot's office is in Bedford, I would say the same for there, too.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Amazon Robotics has an office in Boston and my friends who have worked there enjoyed it, it is evidently free of the dysfunction of the rest of the company.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ashcans posted:

Knowing how much space you really want/need and a rough budget would help a lot. Do you need a spare bedroom, or a garage or shed? Are you going to make a ton of noise with whatever your hobbies are?

Lots of people are trying to do the same thing as you, so prices for more space in transit-connected towns are also pretty bad. What kind of commute are you prepared to take?

Ideally a single-family house with a garage (don't need a big yard, though). At the absolute minimum a spare bedroom with a large un-carpeted living room. It's hard to say what my budget would be without having been offered a specific job with a specific salary, but I think it would end up being in the neighborhood of $1300/month, maybe a bit more.

Commute-wise, I think I'd want to avoid going much more than an hour each way.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Amazon Robotics has an office in Boston and my friends who have worked there enjoyed it, it is evidently free of the dysfunction of the rest of the company.

That's interesting, thank you. I hadn't bothered with Amazon because of all the bad press, but I suppose it makes sense that it wouldn't apply as much to people with not-so-common skills.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Cockmaster posted:

Ideally a single-family house

Cockmaster posted:

neighborhood of $1300/month

Cockmaster posted:

Commute-wise, I think I'd want to avoid going much more than an hour each way.

My dude I have bad news for you. This doesn't exist.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do not live here. This place sucks and has nothing for you or anyone else. Curse this blasted land.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Do not live here. This place sucks and has nothing for you or anyone else. Curse this blasted land.

Wow tell us how you really feel in the Boston thread.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Where are you coming from because it sounds like it would be an enormous shift for you to come here in many more ways than you probably imagine

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

TacoHavoc posted:

My dude I have bad news for you. This doesn't exist.

this but actually. $1300 is solidly “one other roommate in a pretty nice spacious 2br in a triple decker” territory

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

you cannot have a house in boston or boston suburbs or boston exurbs anywhere near that price unless you’re buying and even so it’s a bad idea.

boston owns but it is very much a big city and comes with big city prices. i pay 800 for my share of a 4br in the hipster neighborhood and count myself lucky

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 25, 2019

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
On trips I have to take to the US for business I hit about 15-20 places in a month of travel, running the gamut from Albuquerque to Manhattan and so on. I recall being shocked by the cost of Boston in comparison to nearly anything else - even the suburbs an hour out cost as much to stay in as a major city elsewhere. My natural assumption is that the taxes are funding the Catholic church's legal bills and the dead-ender Irish Republicans, as well as the upcoming Walker Roaders tour, of course.

EDIT: Really, a shockingly expensive city to travel to for no immediately discernible reason. Sounds like living there isn't much different.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

I recall being shocked by the cost of Boston in comparison to nearly anything else

EDIT: Really, a shockingly expensive city to travel to for no immediately discernible reason. Sounds like living there isn't much different.

Just name the other places if there's so few.

Depending on where in the burbs you were staying, the hotels(?) could have been marked up for various businesses stationed out there and not downtown.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

There are a lot of news articles about this kind of stuff, so definitely don't shy away from that type of research too. I live north of the city in NH so I could give more info if you have specific questions.

I would say your best bet is probably following the commuter lines out and seeing what is out there in towns within reasonable distance. I know a few people who suck it up and take the trains in from the terminus.

NH will be cheaper for the type of house you want, but even being 45 min by car with minimal traffic (i.e. leaving home before 6 AM and work by 3 PM), a small not-terrible house will cost you at least ~$1.8k/month (mortgage, ins., taxes). Next option would be taking a bus from a park and ride.

From my experience at work a lot of people are "trying out Boston" by making it work with renting a place in Somerville / Medford / Cambridge for 12-18 months and getting a feel for all 4 seasons this area has...each with their own bit of fuckery to the commute and other lifestyle things.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

OP, did you make any decisions about city life?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I once declared I'd need to make roughly $500k/yr to consider commuting to Boston every day from southern NH, but I'm contemplating applying for a job in the city. It is such a bad idea and I'm talking myself out of it even though the job would be really cool.

I started looking at rentals and condos in towns with commuter rail stops and holy poo poo is everything astronomical. My spouse and I do alright as DINKs, but who the hell wants to/can spend half a million bucks for a condo in Dorchester?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lots of people, which is how you know everything / everyone is insane.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It's all the new fattened idiots working in Seaport, at least as far as loving Dot prices go. Despite how terrible it is and how often it breaks down, almost anyone would rather use the commuter system than try to drive into the city, so every idiot in the financial district and techbro in Kendall is happy to pay too much for the opportunity. If you want to live in/near the city your choice is going to be gentrify one of the neighborhoods like Roslindale or another southern enclave.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Roslindale is full tho no places at all don't even look

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
If you want access to the T, a major highway, and your own house, you may want to investigate Malden. It's still a bit of a commute on the red line but at least you can sit for most of it and watch movies on your phone.

In general, the commute is pretty crap in Boston. There's a reason "Boston is about an hour drive from Boston" is a long time running joke.

That said, if you don't mind the commuter rail as others aid, you will have a lot more options. Some commuter rails do tend to be packed, pricy, and only come at certain hours. But if you don't mind the above and the occasional delay, then you'll have a lot more options.

Also, note that you may need to worry about "being in close contact for more than 15 minutes" of someone who has COVID-19 if you use the Boston T.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

diadem posted:

Also, note that you may need to worry about "being in close contact for more than 15 minutes" of someone who has COVID-19 if you use the Boston T.

Well, commuting in Boston will make you wish for death, so this sort of ends up as a break-even.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not even a joke.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

diadem posted:

Malden. It's still a bit of a commute on the red line

Orange line

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Riptor posted:

Orange line

Yes. This. Riptor's right. My mistake.

Also, when we say traffic in boston is "the worst" we aren't being metaphorical.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
Commuting to Boston happens to be really easy right now. Empty roads, trains, and buses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hey, all it took was a deadly pandemic!