Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
look op using two computers at the same time SOUNDS great

but trust me, it's more of a headache than it is worth. maybe you've watched a lot of CUC or CCU (idk what gets you going ) clips. you know what they don't show? just how clumsy and physically awkward the reality is. hope everyone likes cords and elbows where they shouldn't be. what's more, somebody is going to be left out and just sit there while you input into your favourite or you'll be bored watching as their disks are saturated with mutual file transfers. enjoy blowing up your perfectly stable workstation with a bunch of jealous computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

but trust me, it's more of a headache than it is worth. maybe you've watched a lot of CUC or CCU (idk what gets you going ) clips. you know what they don't show? just how clumsy and physically awkward the reality is. hope everyone likes cords and elbows where they shouldn't be. what's more, somebody is going to be left out and just sit there while you input into your favourite or you'll be bored watching as their disks are saturated with mutual file transfers. enjoy blowing up your perfectly stable workstation with a bunch of jealous computers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I apologize for my transgressions

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pram posted:

whats the most optimal way to share keyboard/mouse between two computers these days. is it still synergy? some kind of bespoke kvm switch setup?

well, if you haven't bought both computers yet, make one a MacBook, then there's minimal foot print, as screen, keyboard and trackpad are built in.

also in the vain of minimizing footprint is this magic keyboard + trackpad holder that gives you the ergonomics of a MacBook and also works on your lap, I believe: https://bullettrain.com/products/express-keyboard-platform?variant=3508308279336

another option is Bluetooth keyboards that support pairing with multiple devices and switching between them easily. like this one: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/multi-device-keyboard-k380

you could use a Bluetooth keyboard like the one above in combination with 2 wired or wireless mice, each attached to one computer. better than using 2 keyboards, given their size. there may also be multi-device Bluetooth mice.

all these options not only minimize footprint, but minimize the amount of cables. the other switch-based options are going to require at least 2 more USB cables and possible a power cable and cable for the switch (if there is one).

but you haven't said your use case. I'm guessing one is a work computer, otherwise you could just virtualize another machine. there's even software that allows GPU usage in VMs, built for gaming or high-performance tasks. maybe you can contact your job and ask for a disk image instead of a computer (which will likely be enterprise windows with whatever weird configs IT departments do to work computers). return the computer, and ask for a few hundred bucks to get a ThreadRipper + second GPU instead. idk.