Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
so I have a road trip coming up and I’m searching for an audiobook to listen to as I drive past the dirt and sagebrush borescape called western washington/southern Idaho.

I’ve listened to this one and it’s a great audiobook despite the author:

I also listened to this one which has some good insights into why radio is so poo poo now from a guy who worked in the industry for a long time, but mostly it’s about how he transitioned from broadcast to podcasts

I also read through Diva’s book and Cats Cradle on my last trip, which while not audio books were still great reads and I’d highly recommend them

someone suggested Hyperion which looks pretty interesting and will probably be what I pick, but I kind of figured yospos needs an audiobook thread anyway

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

My Linux Rig posted:

the sagebrush borescape

https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=185146

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i'm halfway through Use of Weapons on my phone and i've been halfway through for like 8 months

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

animist posted:

i'm halfway through Use of Weapons on my phone and i've been halfway through for like 8 months

:same:

also lol @ the lovely xkcd guy who deserves way more derision in general

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
based on this thread op i recommend crime and punishment

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

jon ronson has a decent reading voice and does odd embedded stories. the extremists one he did was good and it has a bit about alex jones and his comments on him are even better a decade and a half later when that guy is obviously crazy

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

if you liked Cadillac Desert and/or just want to hear about how hosed (and hosed up) California is, check out The Dreamt Land by Mark Arax

if you want something funny check out reincarnation blues by michael poore

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Best audiobook I've heard is The Right Stuff. It's too good.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
listen to old art bell shows if you're on a road trip

animist
Aug 28, 2018

psiox posted:

also lol @ the lovely xkcd guy who deserves way more derision in general

:hmmyes:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

My Linux Rig posted:

sagebrush borescape

but you repeat yourself efb dont care

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
john malkovich did an amusing reading of "breakfast of champions"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Life On Earth read by attenborough himself is a great audiobook, incredibly interesting.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hemingway is actually really great as audiobooks, i highly recommend it for long trips. the terse prose is simply well suited to being spoken where intricate stuff often loses something as it floats past. just do the usual: the sun also rises, for whom the bell tolls, the old man and the sea.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

to give an answer fitting a bit better with your list: "king of hearts" is excellent as an audiobook. documents the gruesome process, filled with sociopathic personalities, of the development of open heart surgery.

i think it actually offers a deeper understanding of a certain kind of ambition, and being audio keeps you from skipping over the parts where the people, who's work have since saved a lot of lives, retire to their lab to kill dogs at a rate of one per hour for weeks on end.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Only good audio book is Norm Macdonald. Read by Norm Macdonald.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I enjoyed Anansi Boys, the version read by Lenny Henry. He does all sorts of voices.

Agile Vector posted:

jon ronson has a decent reading voice

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I like listening to audiobooks read by peter kenney