Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If you haven't heard of Osamu Dezaki, you've almost certainly seen an anime influenced by him. He's one of the original anime creators; he joined Osamu Tezuka's Mushi Productions in 1963 working on Astro Boy. He went on to direct episodes of the original Dororo and Moomin, and then he got his first directorial gig: Ashita no Joe.

Osamu Dezaki had a stark style that made frequent use of split-screen, stark lighting, ample use of dutch angles, and perhaps his most well known trick is one that influenced anime for all time: the "postcard memory."

Takarajima

Ashita no Joe

After Mushi Pro went under, he helped cofound Madhouse Studio, yes, THAT Madhouse Studio, and went on to direct some of the most well known and influential anime of all time, such as Rose of Versailles, Aim for the Ace, Space Adventure Cobra, and Oniisama E. His work has heavily inspired anime directors like Hideaki Anno, Akiyuki Shinbo, Kunihiko Ikuhura, Hiroyuki Imaishi, Takeshi Koike and basically everyone working in anime period.

Space Adventure Cobra

This Summer, please take the time out to watch one of his many great anime and post your thoughts about them here! Personally, I'll be watching his late masterpiece Hakugei: The Moby Dick, a 26 episode anime that took 2 years to complete and is an adaptation of the classic American novel set in space.

Hakugei: Legend of the Moby Dick

Oniisama-E

Ganba no Bouken

Rose of Versailles

Golgo 13: The Professional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i'm kind of interested in moby dick but i hear there's a huge tonal whiplash all the time with wacky unfunny poo poo

i do plan on watching the black jack movie, already seen all the cobra stuff and golgo 13

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are any of his works available to stream?

I kinda had some interest in Onii-sama E after seeing all the screenshots posted, but I wouldn't be averse to giving something else from his filmography a shot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I remember seeing a few episodes of the moby dick thing on comcast on demand an ETERNITY ago, but never knew it was a full two cour series. seemed pretty interesting though, and it's a neat idea to take that old story and put it in space and make moby dick a giant robot space whale

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm gonna finally get around to watching the original Cobra TV series this year for sure.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Relin posted:

i'm kind of interested in moby dick but i hear there's a huge tonal whiplash all the time with wacky unfunny poo poo

i do plan on watching the black jack movie, already seen all the cobra stuff and golgo 13

I rewatched the Black Jack movie somewhat recently, and it's...okay. Definitely not a highlight of Dezaki's library, and I say this as somebody who loves the Black Jack manga.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I checked out the Space Adventure Cobra movie because of this thread. I loved Rose of Versailles when I watched it with the ADTRW simulwatch eons ago, but that's the only other Dezaki thing I've seen. I didn't like this as much, but it looked beautiful. One of the most interesting and beautiful looking animated movies I've ever seen. The video on the blu ray was fantastic too. You wouldn't be able to tell it was from the 80s at all aside from the art style. My favorite parts of this movie were the psychadelic interludes and trippy sci-fi elements. It was a better moving representation of the Heavy Metal magazine aesthetic than the actual pretty bad Heavy Metal movies.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cobra is one of the few times the replacement soundtrack the otherwise crappy Manga Entertainment version gave it worked out in its favour.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm really enjoying Hakugei, mostly. The writing is really weird in it, where sometimes it will set up for an emotional moment then go for a weird gag, but it's just as likely.to take a weird gag and turn it into something really profound and human. It has incredibly striking composition. There are lots of really memorable images constantly. Everyone is always doing something so even though there's a lot of clunky exposition it's fun to watch, like in one episode everyone talks about the plot while eating ice cream, or playing mahjong, or singing karaoke. None of the characters are particularly deep or developed but they all have great character designs and good vas. Some episodes leave me feeling cold like the one about one characters dad that didn't really involve that character at all but then it comes around and has an episode where the whole cast has a song and dance number and sing love songs while pissing.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

From any reasonable metric so far it's a solid 7 but in my heart it's a 10.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hakugei isn't the best Osamu Dezaki anime but it's certainly the most Osamu Dezaki anime and I really love it for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Hakugei and it's one of my favorite anime except when it isn't. Apparently the original production company folded Midway through and it got picked up by someone else but lost 13 episodes in the process and it kind of shows. Things happen that are super satisfying to see but lots of unsatisfying conclusions to character arcs as well. There's a lot of backstory they sort of gloss over that would have been powerful if it had been given time. The finale is one of the prettiest things I've seen in a tv anime. There's a lot.of lines that could be read as feeling frustrated with the short nature of the finale which is interesting. I don't regret watching it and the highs of the show are among my favorite things I've seen in an anime and it cut me really deep emotionally but man. What a mixed bag overall.

I wonder how Dezaki and Akio Sugino felt having to end what's obviously a huge passion project like that. I wonder if out there are any interviews about Hakugei.