Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

every tenant should have the right to kill their landlord at any time for any reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

angryrobots posted:

Well I'm definitely not rich enough to pay the mortgage for someone else to stay in a home, unfortunately. :wtchris:
Presumably your wife had the money to buy it before she met you, where did that money go?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
To be fair a lot of people had to pay the bank in order to sell their house if they didn't want to declare bankruptcy. Mortgages suck

But on the other hand it takes like 20x longer to get evicted for not paying a mortgage vs not paying rent so I have no sympathy

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Landlords generally don't rent at cost regardless.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

angryrobots posted:

I never wanted to be a landlord.

In 2012 we tried to sell my wife's old house, market was still poo poo, were unsuccessful. Rented it to someone who subletted to some of their family without our knowledge. We found this out after the rent stopped being paid, did the whole eviction thing and had to clean two truck and trailer loads of poo poo out of the property. Also had ~$5k in damages. Took the original renters to small claims court and "won" but never saw a dime (claimed loss on taxes tho iirc).

So this is now 2014 and we're planning to renovate and put it on the market again, I'm at the house working. Get a knock on the door, it's this guy and his preg wife and kid, who really really wants to rent and eventually buy the property. I take this with a grain of salt, but we're not really in a financial position to be funding a reno, so we're amicable to this.

4 years into a 2 year lease-to-own, they're still not in a position to get a mortgage loan apparently, thinks that he can pressure me into a new contract (what?). Of course now he claims the real reason is that our contact agreed upon price of $65k (expired btw but I'm still going to honor both the buy price and the monthly portion that accrued toward closing costs, even past the end of lease, if it will get the drat thing gone) is too high and he's just not going to pay that, it's not worth it.

I disagree with this and give them 3 months to get moved out. I make it very clear that if they want the refundable portion of their deposit back, don't leave any crap I have to haul off. Of course all this is too much - it takes two weeks past the move out date for him to get out, and it's still not everything. I haul off a full truck load of junk, including literally burned up car batteries (wtf) that the county recycling center gave me a lot of trouble about.

Anyhow so he was mad about not getting the deposit back. We immediately started on a full remodel, doing most of it ourselves. It was a very painful process and not cheap, but 8 months later we put the house on the market for just over $95k, and got a full price offer within a week.

gently caress renters. Humanity was a mistake, generally. :thermidor:

Also, I stopped by on the move out date and there was a dog. A week later I came back, no dog but a dog sized dirt mound in the back yard. I'm p sure he offed and buried the poor thing, probably because when you've procrastinated until the very last second it's difficult to find a place in your budget that allows dogs. :(

Christ 65k house. how can you find a way to simultaneously be white trash and a land baron.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Probably just lives in the Midwest.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Main Paineframe posted:

you forced a guy to murder his kid's dog because you wanted to extract more profit from a home, and you're saying you couldn't help it because you were just too poor to do anything about it

gently caress the hell off forever
he was prolly a lovely slumlord doing zero routine work the whole time, but i wouldn't pin that on him. im guessing rented it to some lovely rear end in a top hat maga chud redneck that values no animal life given its the rural midwest/south and all and they love to shoot and kill dogs for fun there. theres no excuse to murder a dog and not just like donate it to the pound for free or throw it into the forest (which will kill it anyways, but its still a chance and at least it'll be food for another animal).

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Xaris posted:

he was prolly a lovely slumlord doing zero routine work the whole time, but i wouldn't pin that on him. im guessing rented it to some lovely rear end in a top hat maga chud redneck that values no animal life given its the rural midwest/south and all and they love to shoot and kill dogs for fun there. theres no excuse to murder a dog and not just like donate it to the pound for free or throw it into the forest (which will kill it anyways, but its still a chance and at least it'll be food for another animal).

quick reminder: the worst case scenario for the tenant (redneck maga chud) is always the best case scenario for the landlord

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Xaris posted:

throw it into the forest

:stonk:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
This thread and landlords.txt should be merged

Anyways I figured I should mention there's one weird trick (or at least there was two years ago) to get 10,600 in Chicago if you got evicted by a bank post foreclosure and I don't think anyone ever does it

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wheres landlords.txt

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tollymain posted:

wheres landlords.txt

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893691

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

responsible social landlords, e.g. housing associations in the uk. i work for one in scotland so i'll yell about that:

rent is used to cover upgrade programmes, grounds maintenance and ad-hoc repairs/servicing. there's gov involvement for new build developments and loans tend to get used then. annual reports to a regulator with audits everywhere, and limits on rents. for the rent itself inflation generally two options: hair above inflation, and an option of that plus 0.5% to cover targeted upgrades for vulnerable tenants. why a hair above? the loans for adding new houses. this is all committee-led, so you can skip a year, go for below inflation, etc depending on circumstances

they're created by having groups of tenants decide to work together and create a property management organisation that scales really well. i don't see it working below 50 dwellings, but it all depends on the state of the stock and if there's ownership complications for maintenance. depending on the association the committee composition varies but a large tenant presence is extremely encouraged, but it's good to have professionals as well for the financial and technical details

social housing is one of the better models given how people handle long-term maintenance of their property imo, risk is spread out and that £10k+ roof replacement isn't a sudden surprise one morning

there's major problems with a lease-to-own idea coupled with social housing though: you cut apart the tenant demographics, legislation on that (see right-to-buy) gives them discounts, odds are they'll turn into private landlords instead. even then when people end up owning the houses and seeing the costs involved for large upgrade programmes communal repairs are denied, and if you don't have majority agreement amongst the owners in a block tough luck on getting that roof replaced unless you pay their share (and still get them to agree to it)

Thanks, that’s actually a very interesting view of something that I don’t think exists in the US.

When I was in college I was reading about Ammon Hennacy and wanted to start a Joe Hill style house of hospitality, but the fact is with how bad my depression always is, I’m never going to have the energy for that, especially not the energy for running it and fundraising to keep the doors open. Since then I’ve wondered what there is that I could actually do given my limitations. I had at one point thought about buying an apartment and letting one homeless person live there as they get back on their feet, give them a food/clothing stipend and whatnot like a small scale version of SLC’s publicly funded program, but then I foresee that person trying to help their friends because that’s human nature and all of a sudden there’s seven people living in a 1 bedroom apartment, the government kicks them out for the unit being over occupancy, I get fined to the point I lose the place, and it’s all ruined. There’s also the problem where I’m a terrible judge of character and can’t stop letting people take advantage of me.

Basically I’m a lifelong screwup that somehow managed to get into a field that pays completely disproportionately to how much of a positive difference I’m making in the world despite being a high school dropout and I am trying to figure out how to make up for that while accounting for my depression meaning that I never have the energy or motivation to do extra work. I’ve been working on a project with someone that would have the potential to make a significant difference, but it’s gotten to the point where I’m more of a sounding board than anything else because I’m so far out of my depth on the technical aspects.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

not only are you parasites, you're not even entertaining to read

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Basically it's my tenants fault that I'm too stupid to pull a profit on a rental somehow. And you know it's not that I wanted to be a landlord, its just I bought multiple homes that I then rented out

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Vomik posted:

Christ 65k house. how can you find a way to simultaneously be white trash and a land baron.

There's land for $1,000 an acre in Meth County, California. No joke, Lancaster, Pearblossom, Pinon Hills, etc. If you're real wild you can sometimes find ads for like $800 per acre near Blythe, but it comes with a hostile desert cult.

e: just checked again and now there's some land near Blythe for $500 per acre, but it's 200 acres.

Admiral Ray has issued a correction as of 19:51 on Jul 15, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Blackstone is being a big gay baby about the new state rent laws and halting certain renovations at one of NYC's largest apartment complexes as a result

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Hi comrades,

We have a batshit crazy landlady who got upset with me since I wouldn't have the handyman change the lightbulb, because it would have required him to shut the power off while I was teaching a class over zoom. She then pounded on our door and yelled at me for doing this. In response, I said "I don't need this" and closed the door. She gave me a 30 day eviction notice immediately thereafter and I threatened to "call my lawyer."

Since that day, she has put up printouts about domestic abuse all over her house. She also deliberately parked in my parking space after I left to go to Safeway, and did the same to my girlfriend when she left the unit in her own car. When my girlfriend got home, she recorded a conversation the landlady was having with her friend in which she bragged that she called the sheriff and had video of me attacking both her and the handyman. She even bragged that she figured out the school where I worked and would call them to say that I was a "violent person."

Anyhow, my guess is that this was something she made up over the phone because she thought my girlfriend might be listening, since she was right near our unit when she was calling her friend. Nevertheless, if she's actually crazy enough to edit a video of herself getting attacked by somebody, I wouldn't want anything to happen to me. What are my best options right now?

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

What happened to clip-fed guns? Seems like in a real poo poo's-going-down situation you wouldn't want to be caring about keeping your magazines. Clips 'r nice and disposable, like cigarette butts and private equity.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Yossarian-22 posted:

Hi comrades,

We have a batshit crazy landlady who got upset with me since I wouldn't have the handyman change the lightbulb, because it would have required him to shut the power off while I was teaching a class over zoom. She then pounded on our door and yelled at me for doing this. In response, I said "I don't need this" and closed the door. She gave me a 30 day eviction notice immediately thereafter and I threatened to "call my lawyer."

Since that day, she has put up printouts about domestic abuse all over her house. She also deliberately parked in my parking space after I left to go to Safeway, and did the same to my girlfriend when she left the unit in her own car. When my girlfriend got home, she recorded a conversation the landlady was having with her friend in which she bragged that she called the sheriff and had video of me attacking both her and the handyman. She even bragged that she figured out the school where I worked and would call them to say that I was a "violent person."

Anyhow, my guess is that this was something she made up over the phone because she thought my girlfriend might be listening, since she was right near our unit when she was calling her friend. Nevertheless, if she's actually crazy enough to edit a video of herself getting attacked by somebody, I wouldn't want anything to happen to me. What are my best options right now?

Sorry this is happening homie. I don't really have much advice for you outside of seeing if you have a tenant's union that you can reach out to.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Nice Necro

You should read what the notice says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Yossarian-22 posted:

Hi comrades,

do you live in the same home as her? how much more time is on your lease?

she definitely doesn’t have a video of you nor has ever edited anything

if you’re actually worried about her trying to harm your life maybe take out a restraining order and if she calls your school you can pull out the restraining order that had been filed before she called