Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
ok just saw the trailer for Cade: The Tortured Crossing and I think it has the potential to be the most bonkers film ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

JAMOOOL posted:

ok just saw the trailer for Cade: The Tortured Crossing and I think it has the potential to be the most bonkers film ever made

I'm bummed he appears to have increased the green screen usage, but I'm happy to see he invested heavily in fight and stunt choreography.

Also this may be his breakout hit, according to 340 very sincere voters:

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
good point, if it doesn't have 30 minutes of standing around in the desert and a 10 minute pool party scene, is it even a Neil Breen film??

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

JAMOOOL posted:

What I find interesting is that Breen has independently discovered the look of a 1990s FMV game in which Christopher Walken opens a cyberpunk detective agency in Hell.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Rascar Capac posted:

What I find interesting is that Breen has independently discovered the look of a 1990s FMV game in which Christopher Walken opens a cyberpunk detective agency in Hell.

...I'd play the hell out of a Neil Breen written&directed FMV game, it would prob sell enough to partially finance his next flick too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Did Neil recently take Double Down and I Am Here Now "off the market" as it says on his website or has that been the case for awhile. I didn't notice that disclaimer when I bought Twisted Pair and I'm wondering what his reasoning was, I am sure it is entertaining.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MassRafTer posted:

Did Neil recently take Double Down and I Am Here Now "off the market" as it says on his website or has that been the case for awhile. I didn't notice that disclaimer when I bought Twisted Pair and I'm wondering what his reasoning was, I am sure it is entertaining.

They've been unavailable for a while

I don't remember if he said it outright but fateful findings and pass thru are their replacements

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Sgtzima/status/1670861496023121937?t=yBdLsRzwYKVcZyet_zDWwQ&s=19

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Neil Breen you piece of poo poo snake motherfucker gently caress you :laffo: :lol: :laffo: :lol: :laffo: :lol: :laffo: :lol: :laffo: :lol:

My heart skipped a beat he just said "The Roxy Theater" but then it's one in Saskatoon CA and not the Roxy Cinema in NYC

"Several Alamo Drafthouse theaters will be showing the film. Here is a list of Alamo Drafthouses that will be screening the film on August 8th" and then it cuts off and I have to listen to PART 3 of this AUDIO LIST why am I doing this to myself lmao

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Neil Breen you piece of poo poo snake motherfucker gently caress you :laffo: :lol: :laffo: :lol: :laffo: :lol: :laffo: :lol: :laffo: :lol:

My heart skipped a beat he just said "The Roxy Theater" but then it's one in Saskatoon CA and not the Roxy Cinema in NYC

"Several Alamo Drafthouse theaters will be showing the film. Here is a list of Alamo Drafthouses that will be screening the film on August 8th" and then it cuts off and I have to listen to PART 3 of this AUDIO LIST why am I doing this to myself lmao

Oh poo poo, it is playing at the Roxy? Whelp, I know what I'm doing.

See Neil, this is why you post an actual list. Because if you did that maybe I'd loving know without random chance.

Edit: Realtalk, I can't decide if I should just buy tickets for my spouse without telling her what this is.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I managed until he said "in no particular order" and then his slow, droning voice was drowned out by my peals of laughter. This loving guy.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Breen unironically quoting the IMDB score is so good because I'm legit unsure how much he believes it.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

finally watched Pass Thru, the first 10 minutes of it were mighty boring, and then it suddenly ramps up into maybe the craziest movie I've ever seen. in fact my jaw was pretty much on the floor for the entire second half. I thought the lady in Fateful Findings who played Jim's wife/murderer was the worst actor I've ever seen in a movie but nearly all the actors in this movie were worse, especially the woman who camps out in Breen's van. it's crazy that a movie with so much unsubtlety and no subtext whatsoever could also manage to be so consistently baffling. much like Twisted Pair there are moments where you think Breen has to be loving with you but taken as a whole there's just no way that's the case. God bless this man.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I am pretty psyched to see this and I am seeing it tomorrow. It sounds like it will be a very BREEN film

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am in awe that he never posted an actual comprehensive list of showtimes so I never found out if it was playing near Boston.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

We just got back from seeing this. Absolutely phenomenal.

There are some points where something happens or is said in such a way that you think he's become too self aware and is just doing stuff for the fans or whatever, but every single time that happens, like two seconds later it goes in some other wild direction. This feels like a real evolution of everything he's learned so far even though every single shot is on a stock photo or stock footage background!!!

Sitting in the front row in a reclining seat, I was not prepared for the numerous extreme freeze frame closeups of Neil Breen's face as one of his eyes glows.

The sound mix in this movie is completely loving insane. Like between the at times very low quality audio, the freeze framed people imposed on footage while other characters are walking around and talking, the often decrepit setting, the droning ominous music loops and the repeated scream that's played any time a particular character grabs someone, it's like he inadvertently made a Shibuya Scramble or Kowloon's Gate aesthetic thing at points.

There's this one shot where it's like a pan from left to right across flat static silhouettes of business people in a boardroom and then when it stops the principle character walk out of two of the silhouettes that's legit good and surprising coming from Breen. Every other shot and action in the movie is brainbustingly hilarious in its own way.

Absolute must watch for Breen fans of course but just in general, everyone should see this.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 11, 2023

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Just came back after watching it, amazing and there are two aspects that I never really expected which was the CGI Tiger and dance scene which absolutely blew my mind and I think was one of the few non Breen credits in production.

The music randomly cutting out and in, the change in stock imagery as background immediately after each other, driving a car with a static background and drinking a beer. It had the usual bad editing, freeze frames and such in there.

The question as always does arise in if he is aware and I really can’t see how he isn’t now, but it is a great watch.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah it's like, he's absolutely aware but at the same time, a lot of the aware stuff was stuff he was already doing one way or another before he was aware so who cares lol

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Did anybody who saw tortured crossing have a normal audience at the show? The showing i went to was insane people were screaming at the top of their lungs constantly at every thing that happened

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Mine was hosted by a local bad film club so we knew what we were getting into and it was pretty active. I don’t know anywhere that showed it more than a single show.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Did anybody who saw tortured crossing have a normal audience at the show? The showing i went to was insane people were screaming at the top of their lungs constantly at every thing that happened

Pretty reasonable at mine. People were laughing along but not really any more than you’d get at like a comedy movie. One dude made a few unfunny cracks but was aware enough to stop when he didn’t get much of a reaction.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

This is a normal audience for a Breen film tho

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.
Cade’s Crossing is now available for purchase on his website. $34 for a DVD if you are in the US. I don’t buy a lot of physical media anymore and would generally refuse to pay that much for a dvd, but I’d like to think I am contributing to another cheap laptop that he thrashes about in his movies.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fad posted:

Cade’s Crossing is now available for purchase on his website. $34 for a DVD if you are in the US. I don’t buy a lot of physical media anymore and would generally refuse to pay that much for a dvd, but I’d like to think I am contributing to another cheap laptop that he thrashes about in his movies.

I am very excited for it to show up in a DVD-R jewel case.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Can confirm it still comes in a jewel case

I didn't enjoy Cade as much as his previous work but it's still a good time.

I don't think it's worth discussing how self aware he is because well... Even if the weirdest person you know is aware of how weird they are it's not going to stop them from being weird.

I kind of hope he partners with a distributor someday and releases a box set for all his films but, something about the way his ego pokes out both in his films and when he discusses them makes me think he's impossible to work with.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

goth smoking cloves posted:

Can confirm it still comes in a jewel case

I didn't enjoy Cade as much as his previous work but it's still a good time.

I don't think it's worth discussing how self aware he is because well... Even if the weirdest person you know is aware of how weird they are it's not going to stop them from being weird.

I kind of hope he partners with a distributor someday and releases a box set for all his films but, something about the way his ego pokes out both in his films and when he discusses them makes me think he's impossible to work with.

Like with a bunch of other directors, the boxed set will probably be posthumous.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

ok I'm halfway through this and I'm very confused. a bunch of people get kidnapped and Cade tries to rescue them from the van, but can't because one of the doors is locked. later the van crashes and Cade just happens to be in the forest wrestling a tiger (who is actually a beautiful woman), so he rescues them...and then, five minutes later in the film, they're the same people getting experimented on in the hospital that Cade financed the renovation project for? are these supposed to be the same people or is he just re-using actors and hoping nobody notices? or is this explained later in the film? (LOL)

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

ok I'm halfway through this and I'm very confused. a bunch of people get kidnapped and Cade tries to rescue them from the van, but can't because one of the doors is locked. later the van crashes and Cade just happens to be in the forest wrestling a tiger (who is actually a beautiful woman), so he rescues them...and then, five minutes later in the film, they're the same people getting experimented on in the hospital that Cade financed the renovation project for? are these supposed to be the same people or is he just re-using actors and hoping nobody notices? or is this explained later in the film? (LOL)

Yes

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

JAMOOOL posted:

Is this your first Bren movie.

Also how much does anyone want to bet the tiger woman is not wearing a bra?

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

JAMOOOL posted:

I think he did rescue that first group, remember that we had that great scene of them running from an explosion, I'm not sure if they are supposed to be the same people as the main group of patients.

The masked fighters being played by the same actors as the patients could be a metaphor I guess?

I *think* some of the scenes are supposed to be flashbacks but there is no indication which scenes those are

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

right that's what I'm wondering, several times it seems like he's using the same actors to play different characters. there's one guy who appears to die three times, and also is in a wheelchair, but then is doing dance moves and karate chops? or what about the woman who plays his "girlfriend" (?), is this supposed to be the same person running the hospital, who he's yelling at for a bunch of the film?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

in fact I feel like he basically wrote and shot two completely different versions of the film and just edited them together into one movie

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JAMOOOL posted:

right that's what I'm wondering, several times it seems like he's using the same actors to play different characters. there's one guy who appears to die three times, and also is in a wheelchair, but then is doing dance moves and karate chops? or what about the woman who plays his "girlfriend" (?), is this supposed to be the same person running the hospital, who he's yelling at for a bunch of the film?

I think the answer to your final question is yes. I am not sure what the deal is with say, the guy who is attacked laying on the ground three different times, twice on a sidewalk and once in the hospital.

I couldn't explain anything in this movie but I loved it. It's absolutely wild how the more self aware his movies get the weirder they get in ways no ironic bad movie could ever think to do.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

yeah I got worried with all the people claiming "oh its too bad he's self aware now" - I think he probably understands people enjoy the craziness of his films which he's definitely amped up a couple notches but at the end of the day the film is still authentically Neil Breen. it still has the look and feel of a 90s FMV game (more now than ever really), it still has that Mobius strip-style storytelling where all the scenes feel slightly out of order, the dialogue is hilariously unsubtle, and all the non-Breen characters are just total blank slates, in fact i don't think any of them actually have names? I don't think you could make something this bizarre "on purpose" though I admit the On Cinema spinoff show Decker comes really close.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JAMOOOL posted:

yeah I got worried with all the people claiming "oh its too bad he's self aware now" - I think he probably understands people enjoy the craziness of his films which he's definitely amped up a couple notches but at the end of the day the film is still authentically Neil Breen. it still has the look and feel of a 90s FMV game (more now than ever really), it still has that Mobius strip-style storytelling where all the scenes feel slightly out of order, the dialogue is hilariously unsubtle, and all the non-Breen characters are just total blank slates, in fact i don't think any of them actually have names? I don't think you could make something this bizarre "on purpose" though I admit the On Cinema spinoff show Decker comes really close.

Eventually him walking around the desert and giving a speech about the elites would get old. He knows he has to keep it fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Watching Galaxy Quest

Holy poo poo does Tim Allen's character in the "original TV episodes" shown in the film look like our esteemed Neil Breen.