Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker
Problem description: My Dota 2 client has been hard crashing to desktop (no error given) an enormous amount over the last month or so and is extremely frustrating. My event log shows a large number of WHEA errors which I think may be associated with the crashes, though I am unsure.

quote:

A corrected hardware error has occurred.
Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
Error Type: Internal parity error
Processor APIC ID: 0

Attempted fixes: I have already tried a lot of the basic things like reinstalling the game, Steam and updating video card drivers and the like. CPU/GPU temps appear to be appropriate. I've tried some various compatibility options as well as the normal Steam fixes they recommend.

Recent changes: Nothing big that would be obvious. The only "new" hardware is my GPU that I got 8 months ago and this only really started happening in the last month or so. I have applied all windows updates.

Operating system: Windows 10 home 64 bit

System specs: Home built Intel i5-3570 3.4 ghz processors and an Nvidia GTX 1060 6 gb gpu. Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600, ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 LGA 1150 Mobo

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I'm running Windows 10 on with I have not had any other problems with other games though I do not spend much time in them other than Dota.

Am I on the right track here? Anything else I can do to identify the issue?

Thanks for your help.

*edited to fit requested format*

SavageBastard fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker
I used the Intel Processor diagnostics tool to verify the CPU and it passed without a hitch. Also downloaded Visual Studio to try to parse the dump files and (difficult for me to understand) they seem to refer to a combination of writing to memory that it doesn't have permission or executing a operation that the processor didn't understand. I'm not sure what that means if uninstalling/reinstalling the game 3 times didn't fix it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What's the PSU model and how old is it?

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Zogo posted:

What's the PSU model and how old is it?

Thanks for the reply, Zogo. Power supply is a SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W. Looks like I bought it at the end of 2013.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try running DDU and then installing the latest GPU drivers:
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1750

Also, you could try onboard video for a little and see if that error continues.

That PSU has a lot of good reviews but it's almost six years old and if it's had heavy use it could be deteriorating.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Zogo posted:

You could try running DDU and then installing the latest GPU drivers:
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1750

Also, you could try onboard video for a little and see if that error continues.

That PSU has a lot of good reviews but it's almost six years old and if it's had heavy use it could be deteriorating.

Thanks for the attention, Zogo. Sorry for the late reply. Sorry for my ignorance, but my PSU might be causing CPU errors during a specific game?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

SavageBastard posted:

Thanks for the attention, Zogo. Sorry for the late reply. Sorry for my ignorance, but my PSU might be causing CPU errors during a specific game?

Yea, if a PSU is beginning to fail/underperform it can cause issues with any piece of hardware really.

It's possible it's the memory or the motherboard (or rarely even the CPU itself) but since it's happening only in a game that points more to the GPU and/or PSU.

Have you done overclocking on this machine?

Also, make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Zogo posted:

Yea, if a PSU is beginning to fail/underperform it can cause issues with any piece of hardware really.

It's possible it's the memory or the motherboard (or rarely even the CPU itself) but since it's happening only in a game that points more to the GPU and/or PSU.

Have you done overclocking on this machine?

Also, make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

The GPU is new in December. I did a memory check and that came out clean whatever that is worth. No overclocking and the last bios update released was like 3 years ago or something so I'm good there. Biting the bullet on reformatting the boot drive and then I'll try replacing the PSU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Zogo posted:

Well, gently caress me running. I was about to wipe my hard drive after a long night of speccing out an entirely new system, finally just went to Best Buy and bought some shitbarn PSU, swapped it and I haven't had an error since. Not declaring full victory yet but it's looking pretty good. PM me your Cash app id or whatever...I owe you a six pack. You have no idea the suffering you have alleviated.