Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Problem description: One of my dad's Dell Inspiron 3650 started continually powering on and off just recently. No significant hardware or software changes either.

Attempted fixes: Cleared BIOS, swapped power supplies, used a jumper to start the system, and replaced CMOS battery.

Recent changes: Not that I'm aware of.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home

System specs: Dell Inspiron 3650 - Comes with an i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, nothing too fancy.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

At this point I'm thinking it's got to be the motherboard, but I was curious if any of you all had any other ideas. One thing I failed to try was swapping the memory module from another working machine. I will do that, but the fact that it's not even posting has me a little doubtful.

Here's a YouTube clip if it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B07DB_sEhS4

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try disconnecting any HDs (and other drives) and see if it does anything differently.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That didn’t do it, but I pulled the one stick of RAM and now it’s staying powered on. I ordered some new stuff this morning, and hopefully that does it.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

New RAM didn’t do it either. I tried all the combinations I could think of, but it still powers down as soon as it tries to access the disks.

I can feel the disks get powered up and shortly after that it powers down. If there’s no disks it just powers down sooner.

Any ideas?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What was the original (and replacement) PSU model and age?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

It’s the original power supply now, but my dad has three of these at his office, so I pulled one from a working unit to test that theory.

At any rate it’s coming up on three years of service, but it is some kind of proprietary format I think.

Thanks for your help so far. :)

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

nitsuga posted:

It’s the original power supply now, but my dad has three of these at his office, so I pulled one from a working unit to test that theory.

At any rate it’s coming up on three years of service, but it is some kind of proprietary format I think.

Thanks for your help so far. :)

Done good so far! last thing to try is removing and reseating the cpu. even replacing it from a donor machine. sometimes that helps but be sure you replace the thermal paste.

After that, it could need it's bios reprogrammed. Some dells have a way to recover the bios with a USB stick, most you have to remove the chip and flash it with a programmer though :(

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Thanks for that! I’m wondering if the BIOS might be the more likely problem here. I’ve got to head out of town for the week, but I’ll give it a try as soon as can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

No luck with the BIOS or CPU. Dell charges $40 for their diagnostics, so we opted to go for a new PC entirely.

Thanks again for all the help.