Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

First up, gently caress printers. With that said..

Problem description:
I have a Brother MFC-L2700DW which is a combo printer/scanner/fax thinger. It was working fine previously, and now I'm unable to network print to it. For a variety of reasons wifi networking is the best way to use it, both on the computer and printer sides (there's lack-of-cabling and subnet issues otherwise).

Whatever I do to try and fix it, I can't connect to it, on two different laptops that have previously printed to it, either with drivers and setups that were as they were when it last worked, or via removing and (attempting to) reinstate the printer in the OS settings.

Attempted fixes:
- I've moved the printer closer to the router.
- I've re-set up the wifi on it several times, and it's printing a wifi diagnostic that it considers to be good.
- I've off-and-on-again'd the wifi on the laptops.
- I've rebooted it and the laptops both separately and together.
- I've attempted printing with the drivers as set up before when it was working, and I've also tried setting it up afresh, wherein:
a) The printer isn't showing up in the bonjour-style "local printers" but *is* showing up in the device list of my router
b) Connecting direct with generic drivers does nothing useful
c) The Brother firmware updater can't find the printer
d) The Brother full-fat driver suite can't find the printer
e) The Brother slimline CUPS print driver installs fine and I can find the driver when setting up the printer, but the setup cannot "verify" the printer and if I skip verification I can't print to it
- I can't load the IP in a browser
- I can't ping the IP it's on as reported by my router, I get:
pre:
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
ping: sendto: Host is down
- I have no special routes set up that would interfere with accessing it (this laptop is on 192.168.1.38 and the printer is on 192.168.1.41):
pre:
[~]$ netstat -r
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags        Refs      Use   Netif Expire
default            192.168.1.1        UGSc          134        0     en0       
127                localhost          UCS             0        0     lo0       
localhost          localhost          UH              4      374     lo0       
169.254            link#5             UCS             1        0     en0      !
192.168.1          link#5             UCS             0        0     en0      !
192.168.1.1/32     link#5             UCS             1        0     en0      !
192.168.1.1        4c:60:de:3d:63:4   UHLWIir        96     1307     en0    940
192.168.1.38/32    link#5             UCS             0        0     en0      !
224.0.0/4          link#5             UmCS            2        0     en0      !
224.0.0.251        1:0:5e:0:0:fb      UHmLWI          0        0     en0       
239.255.255.250    1:0:5e:7f:ff:fa    UHmLWI          0       36     en0       
255.255.255.255/32 link#5             UCS             0        0     en0      !
Everything is pointing to the laptops being unable to communicate with the printer but I can't see why that would be, and I'm at a bit of a loss.

Edit: I've also just tried setting it up on my android phone, can't connect.

Recent changes: None that I know about, I previously printed to it fine in the "further away" spot it was in. There's definitely been power cuts in the interim but all the other infrastructure has remained the same. It's possible there's been laptop OS updates in the meantime but I don't print daily so I can't provide a tipping point.

--

Operating system:
This laptop: OSX 10.14.4 (18E226)
Other laptop: probably very similar

System specs:
Printer: Brother MFC-L2700DW
This laptop: MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)
Other laptop: MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, recent 2019)

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes, I've been following guidance on Brother's support site and googling around (everyone is a condescending rear end in a top hat to people with similar issues).

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

OK I have a partial success update to this, I'll update once I've done the thing I needed the printout for.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Alright. So, I moved the printer within cable-reach of the router and plugged it in. After doing so:
- The Brother firmware updater could see it and connect to it, so I updated the firmware, all went fine
- The Brother software suite could see it but not set it up
- one laptop could see it over bonjour, neither could connect to it or set it up properly, either via bonjour or direct IP
- neither could ping it, though at least not getting "host is down"
- Windows 10 could see it over whatever bonjour equivalent it uses, and despite some trouble with setup it eventually set up correctly and I was able to print. Whether that's because the Windows machine is wired, or some other Windows-specific difference, I don't know.
- Still neither OSX laptop is able to print.