Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdoch
Jan 23, 2008
Problem description:
I am helping my neighbour, he has and old laptop he bought secondhand, the screen went black while defragging (my dumb idea to defrag, after googling and searching I did find out that defragging isn't necessary anymore...), but a restart by pressing power button fixed that issue, he continued with defrag and it went black again, this time pressing power button does nothing, doesn't turn the computer off nor reboot or anything, screen is just black, I could hear the fan sounding and the computer was hot (though he said it is always getting hot), and some lights turned on (power button and one of the lights near touchpad, not sure what that indicates (it was not lock nor wifi)). He hasn't had the computer long, said he bought it from some guy who works with computers.

Attempted fixes:
I've removed the battery, laptop turns off, then pressing down the power button for a minute or two, putting back battery but nothing. (Google said I should try that, what does it do?)
I connected one of my screens to it through HDMI cable, nothing (no picture on my screen, said no cable connected, and laptop were still showing the black screen).
I tried to reboot it by removing battery (and putting just power cord back in) and pressing various keys (to get to bios if now that would work), I tried to adjust brightness, and pressing Fn +F keys.
I also removed physically the harddrive, after that I tried to remove the memory sticks and testing both of them separately.

Recent changes:
Nothing I am aware of that my neighbour has done, he is not very computer savvy, he does not do much with the laptop but check email basically.

--

Operating system:
Windows 10, old computer so I don't know if it is 32-bit or 64-bit, looks like it came with Win7 but the previous owner upgraded to Win10.

System specs:
Asus laptop, model number: UL30VT-QX030V
6GB of RAM DDR3, I think it was 1,3 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes

Any ideas what the hell can be bothering it? Should I open up completely the laptop and disconnect graphics card or start to check wires? (I've just opened up a laptop once so I am not exactly sure what I'll be doing, and what wires that might be loose that I can do anything about.)

Thanks for any help kind goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Sounds like the cpu burnt out due to it overheating a lot, which explains why you have no video output. This happens a lot with laptops when people use the on soft surfaces and block the vents (and fans never get cleaned, ever).

Pull the drives and memory sticks, tell him it’s done for and time to buy one that’s not been used/abused previously. Then swap in the drive into the new machine and be done.

Murdoch
Jan 23, 2008

Slayerjerman posted:

Sounds like the cpu burnt out due to it overheating a lot, which explains why you have no video output. This happens a lot with laptops when people use the on soft surfaces and block the vents (and fans never get cleaned, ever).

Pull the drives and memory sticks, tell him it’s done for and time to buy one that’s not been used/abused previously. Then swap in the drive into the new machine and be done.

Boo :(
Kinda figured out it would be overheating cpu or maybe gpu, I need to check if I can get one of my old laptops into working order that he can have instead.
Thanks for the reply!