Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
CONCACAF announced the format for 2022 WC Qualifying:

Top 6 teams will qualify for the "final" round of qualifying: Top 3 qualify, 4th place to playoff

Rest of CONCACAF: Divided into 8 qualifying groups: Group Winners advance to a playoff, the survivor out of the playoffs will play against the 4th place team from the Hex to get that .5 spot (International playoff)

So, these six teams would comprise the hex if it was drawn today

Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Honduras, El Salvador

Canada, Panama, Haiti, Trinidad and Tobago would be in the qualifying groups (amongst others)

I can see the shenanigans coming as those on the bubble try desperately to get into the top six.

https://twitter.com/PaulCarr/status/1148974856735772672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

it sucks rear end

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/1149026489637232641

obviously didn't double check his math but canada has already been eliminated from the hex without playing a game

loving incredible

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
tweet's been deleted, but yeah, folks are not a fan:

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2019/07/10/new-concacaf-world-cup-qualifying-method-is-downright-outrageous/

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Terrible. So the top 6 only play each other? Until the end when the 4th place team annihilates St Kitts or some poo poo? What a dumbass unnecessary change.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

Terrible. So the top 6 only play each other? Until the end when the 4th place team annihilates St Kitts or some poo poo? What a dumbass unnecessary change.

More likely Haiti or T&T for the last one, but yes. And then that team gets fuckin' pumped by Peru or Uruguay.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Correct: The top 6 play each other, 3 qualify, fourth place gets sent to the CONCACAF playoff.

The other 29 teams play in 8 qualifying groups (3 with three teams, 5 with 4), and the eight group winners play off for the other spot in the playoff.

The winner of 4th Place in the Hex vs the 8-team-knockout of qualifying group winners plays in the intercontinental playoff (against I think either Asia or South America) for a World Cup spot.

Now, this article is from 2016, but I'm posting a link to it for a very good reason:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/09/concacaf-world-cup-qualifying-more-teams

Concacaf president Victor Montagliani has instigated a review of an “archaic” format that leaves only six out of the region’s 35 teams still in with a shot at qualifying for Russia in 2018.

The end result?

The format that leaves only six out of the region's 35 teams still in with a shot for DIRECT QUALIFICATION for QATAR in 2022.

Plus ca change., Plus ca le meme chose..

Or as the Who would sing: "MEET THE NEW BOSS.. SAME AS THE OLD BOSS"

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

This sucks. My favorite part of qualifying was always the away games on some random Caribbean cricket ground in disrepair

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Honestly, that's one of the reasons that I expect the Carib nations to howl up a storm about this. Not only do you miss out on direct qualification, but there's no way to extort money from US and Mexico from home matches (outside of the Hex).. remember BeIN Sports hosting several US matches because ESPN/FS wouldn't pay seven figures for one game?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I remember having to go to the one bar in Nevada that carried a qualifier because the home country decided to sell the rights to a closed circuit provider.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

I see what they're doing (keeping the minnows involved in some fashion beyond a single knockout stage or two), but it still feels weird as gently caress.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I wish we could just do a Europe style 5 groups of 6 or something, but then concacaf wouldn't get that sweet sweet Mexico vs usa payday

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There are too many nations in CONCACAF. Please facilitate a merger between several Caribbean countries.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

There are too many nations in CONCACAF. Please facilitate a merger between several Caribbean countries.
FIFA would never allow that because it means fewer opportunities for bribes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I am not really surprised by this, but I am surprised by how blatant they made it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The thing is I'm most surprised about is that El Sal is somehow the 6th best CONCACAF team

they suck major rear end compared to Panama

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Crazy Ted posted:

FIFA would never allow that because it means fewer opportunities for bribes.

It would also gently caress over their voting power.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The thing is I'm most surprised about is that El Sal is somehow the 6th best CONCACAF team

they suck major rear end compared to Panama

They get screwed harder than anyone, no? #6 gets bombed out of the hex, where 7-10 (except Canada lol) at least have a shot to make the knockout tournament to make the knockout round to make the knockout game against conmebol.

This new format loving sucks, the hex owned

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i just caught up on this and what on earth? this is a shockingly stupid system.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
The system allows most countries to still be in the competition after several games instead of just be eliminated after playing only one game. I think this is good for caribbean and central american countries even if the chances of getting to qualify are still slim

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

El Chingon posted:

The system allows most countries to still be in the competition after several games instead of just be eliminated after playing only one game. I think this is good for caribbean and central american countries even if the chances of getting to qualify are still slim

A large majority of concacaf members now have a 0% chance of qualifying directly.

It's bad

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

its "good" in a sense for the total minnows in that they get more theoretically meaningful games but especially bad for the middle of the pack type teams who generally have a punchers chance of qualifying through the hex if things go right or they hit a nice group of players (panama being the recent obvious example, who qualified in 2018, and who would get it the worst in this system)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Nostradingus posted:

A large majority of concacaf members now have a 0% chance of qualifying directly.

It's bad

A large majority always did, so the only change they see is that they get a few more guaranteed games and a tiny shot at a back door qualifier, which is still an improvement.

Basically only five or so teams actually get screwed by this, and predictably one of them is us!

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
It was only done to sure up us money by making them automatically qualify

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Byolante posted:

It was only done to sure up us money by making them automatically qualify

The US, Mexico, and Costa Rica are the three teams that have literally never failed to qualify for the Hex in the twenty years CONCACAF has used that format.

This change wasn't about them and it means pretty much nothing for them. They now don't have to play the fourth round qualifying group, but those dates will get filled with Nations League games against the same kind of opponents (plus the occasional glamour friendly maybe?) so it's basically a wash.