Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Tusk is... a lot.

Like, every single element of its development, release, and post-release is worthy of discussion

Directed by Kevin Smith, once considered an indie new-wave cinema contemporary of Quinten Tarantino, Tusk (2014) started out as a podcast gag that got wildly out of hand: an ad had been placed in Gumtree, a British classifieds website, offering free room and board if the roommate agreed to dress as a walrus. After riffing on the subject with producer Scott Moser on-air, Smith posted a twitter poll asking if the concept should be turned into a film. The response was overwhelmingly "yes." So, he made it. Because I guess that's the kind of impulse you can indulge in when of a certain status.

It's a movie about a guy who hosts a podcast who gets turned into a walrus by a lunatic.

That's it. That's the thing.

The flick was originally going to be produced by Blumhouse, but he wanted to do it in too tight of a turnaround (fifteen days!), so they parted ways. Then he wanted to premier it at Sundance, but had to be delayed to allow for the score to be completed (lol). The film was eventually released by A24, which you may know as a studio that has since has gone on to release good movies.

this is the only pic I could find of this idiotic scene, so deal

The cast is pretty solid for a genre flick: Michael Parks (in one of his last roles), Justin Long, Haley Joel Osment.....

...Johnny Depp in an extended cameo as a Quebecois detective..

The creature effects were done by Robert Kurtzman, who has worked on drat-near everything, but you wouldn't know it by how terrible lighting obliterates any semblance of believability in the execution.

Uhhh, most of the budget apparently went to securing the rights to the Fleetwood Mac song?

gently caress it, let's talk about this ... thing.

Is it awful? Is it good? Could it have been amazing if directed by literally anyone else?

Tusk if available to watch on Netflix NA, because it's a quality streaming service you pay money for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I think this movie had the potential to be genuinely horrifying if Kevin Smith had wanted to take it in that direction. Like when Justin long woke up and his leg was gone, that was honestly unsettling to me. But things got so cartoonishly ridiculous and the creature effects sucked. I was furious with my husband for making me watch this drat movie. I hate it so goddamn much.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like this movie is a case in point for both why Kevin Smith objectively kind of sucks, but also why I have a really big soft spot for the dude.

Like, this is a straight up badly made movie on most levels. It's paced like poo poo, the casting is all wrong, the effects are wonky, it's shot like a low-budget network TV show, etc. In most regards, this is an object lesson in why Smith is a Bad Director.

But on the other hand, I have to genuinely kind of admire a brain that can turn a stupid podcast joke into a full-on honest-to-Jebus movie in the span of like two weeks, especially when it's a concept as utterly bugshit crazy as this. Smith has a kind of creative energy, when he sets his mind to it, that you really don't see outside of people like Roger Corman and Rob Zombie, and even if he doesn't quite have the technical skill to back it up, I can't get mad at him for saying "gently caress it" and just doing it anyways. poo poo, I wish I could have that mindset.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It'd have been a wild career development for Kevin to become a very competent horror director, especially since he himself has joked that he has no visual style as a director and horror is such a visual genre

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kenneth Anger would have made a great movie out of this concept

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like this movie is a case in point for both why Kevin Smith objectively kind of sucks, but also why I have a really big soft spot for the dude.

Like, this is a straight up badly made movie on most levels. It's paced like poo poo, the casting is all wrong, the effects are wonky, it's shot like a low-budget network TV show, etc. In most regards, this is an object lesson in why Smith is a Bad Director.

But on the other hand, I have to genuinely kind of admire a brain that can turn a stupid podcast joke into a full-on honest-to-Jebus movie in the span of like two weeks, especially when it's a concept as utterly bugshit crazy as this. Smith has a kind of creative energy, when he sets his mind to it, that you really don't see outside of people like Roger Corman and Rob Zombie, and even if he doesn't quite have the technical skill to back it up, I can't get mad at him for saying "gently caress it" and just doing it anyways. poo poo, I wish I could have that mindset.

My biggest issue with the film is that I think it could be a legitimately fantastic film based on the bones, if it had been directed by someone who was more willing to treat the idea authentically. The concept is horrific, but the execution is so mired in bullshit - encapsulated by Depp's bad SNL character bit - that it just becomes tedious. It's too soft to be effective, because Kevin Smith can't be an angry filmmaker, which is what this needed.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tart Kitty posted:

My biggest issue with the film is that I think it could be a legitimately fantastic film based on the bones, if it had been directed by someone who was more willing to treat the idea authentically. The concept is horrific, but the execution is so mired in bullshit - encapsulated by Depp's bad SNL character bit - that it just becomes tedious. It's too soft to be effective, because Kevin Smith can't be an angry filmmaker, which is what this needed.

That movie is called the human centipede

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Tusk is a movie that is a solid example of, it and I was saying to myself when I saw it - "I get what you're trying to do here, but this is just not working."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tart Kitty posted:

Pretty much this. There's enough there for a great horror film but it needed more time to simmer in it. One thing I liked that I would have loved more of was that moment when Justin Long falls into the pool and sees a half-rotting previous attempt to turn someone into a walrus. Another thing is there's a great sense of dread that's almost there, again there's not enough there to actually build upon it.

Instead we get a bunch of filler with the other characters that just kills the pacing. Just think of the tension that could have been there had Justin Long been out there with no one actually looking for him.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I said it when I watched it and I'll say it again now.

I came to see Justin Long get turned into a walrus. I got Justin Long being turned into a walrus. I'm satisfied.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I liked this movie better than Red State at least.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I'm in the same park of "The movie wasn't really that good and neither is Kevin Smith's work, but I have a soft spot for him". Tusk was a movie he made because he wanted to see it, success be damned. To be able to make your hairbrained ideas become a tangible thing is something I think that's that resonates with a fair amount of people. It's enviable.

"I made this because I wanted to and I like it. I hope you like it to, but if you don't it's cool".

Although I couldn't get behind the follow up movie with his and Depp's daughter.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Drunkboxer posted:

I liked this movie better than Red State at least.

Yeah, Red State is terrible.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Yestermoment posted:

I'm in the same park of "The movie wasn't really that good and neither is Kevin Smith's work, but I have a soft spot for him". Tusk was a movie he made because he wanted to see it, success be damned. To be able to make your hairbrained ideas become a tangible thing is something I think that's that resonates with a fair amount of people. It's enviable.

"I made this because I wanted to and I like it. I hope you like it to, but if you don't it's cool".

We went to see a scheduled Kevin Smith talk at a local con one night a year or so after Tusk released and this was pretty much how I felt about it too when the talk was over. The sentiment he expressed at having the opportunity to do something so ridiculous that came from an equally ridiculous origin was just purely genuine. If nothing else, you can't fault the guy for loving what he does.

He did bang on forever about Johnny Depp and casting his daughter though, holy poo poo

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah, Red State is terrible.

I recall liking Red State and yet I cannot remember a single thing about it other than the trumpet scene.

Tusk is one of those movies that I feel worse for having seen it. I'm not squeamish, horror is my second favorite genre and I grew up on Kevin Smith films.
Just after the middle point I hated everything I saw. When I wasn't annoyed, I was bored.

So, it got a reaction, I guess.

Like others, I'm happy that he can make batshit crazy movies like this and I'm enough of an idiot that I'll probably watch them all.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
I really liked the last scene at the zoo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I will have to make a point to find my other posts about it, I think I even made a thread about it, but I actually like this film quite a lot.

It's a film about how Internet notoriety actually really sucks, and I do think that it lands that pretty well. I also do like that you have an unlikable main character who does get his comeuppance, but it's not because he stupid, he really makes very few stupid decisions in the entire film. That ups the terror for me.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The biggest complaint I had about Tusk is it really should be an effective horror movie but it keeps getting distracted by Johnny Depp being “artsy”. It’s pacing is just terrible for that reason because Tusk really is horrifying at times but then you have Depp talking about the Gimli Glider for like 15 minutes.

Props to Kevin Smith for putting this film together like a Frankenstein monster. I can’t even really hate the guy because I still like his View Askew stuff and he really is a funny/chill dude in real life.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Here it is, my thread "I love Kevin Smith's "Tusk" And Think It's a Great Movie". My perspective is there :shrug:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAL7EMMCq-k

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Documentary was just posted on Kevin Smith's youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2IKoonFHJc

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I like Kevin Smith far more than I like his movies.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The whip/snap zoom reveal of the creature itself unsettled me to the point that I had difficulty sleeping for several days after seeing this flick in the theater and the ending only made it worse.

He's gone on record as regretting not allowing marketing to show the walrus so that moment would be impactful, but it was absolutely the right move.

He's making a sequel called Tusk$, which, okay?

Anukahn
Jul 22, 2006

My brain hurts
Only movie where I walked out the theatre, at a festival where I stayed through Zombie rear end.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

just another posted:

I like Kevin Smith far more than I like his movies.
I just find his movies frustrating...

He makes Clerks which is a bit overwritten, but is very endearing and fun. People talk about the guy's skills as a filmmaker, but dude was twenty when he made Clerks. There are people who don't get really competent behind the camera till they're twice his age. He makes a middling follow-up, but does actually make a flawed but decent next step with Chasing Amy. Then the guy makes Dogma, and note, he's not even thirty. And it's a successful and well-liked movie barring controversies and Weinstein fuckery. But you could imagine the guy at this point continuing to grow... and then the guy just collapses in on himself.

He makes the incredibly self-indulgent Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. But then he does try to do something with Jersey Girl which isn't a great movie, but is actually an alright family drama that really had people looking at it sideways because of JLO and Ben Affleck, and then he just got lost. Clerks II is fine enough, but just him going back to the well. Zack and Miri is a Judd Apatow coverband. Cop Out is him trying to do mercenary work. And his pivot to horror has just been unremarkable with him unwilling to go absurd or dark enough to make something interesting.

Dude was thirty-four years old when Jersey Girl came out. You could have imagined him doing a smaller indie dramedy, really learning how to be a stronger filmmaker, build on what he was doing with Chasing Amy, but alas...

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Kevin Smith and Richard Linklater are the Goofus and Gallant of Gen X indie filmmaking

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Imagine Before Sunrise, but Jesse just talks about Masters of the Universe for half of the evening.

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
Smith is a treasure as a raconteur.

https://youtu.be/Wo2KB1dEDdk

https://youtu.be/53hMYw8LX60

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Anukahn posted:

Only movie where I walked out the theatre, at a festival where I stayed through Zombie rear end.

Lmfao

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He'll be the first to tell you he's not very good, which is its own kind of cringe, but the why of it interests me.

Unlike every other rich rear end in a top hat, he's come out and admitted that his great art came from pain and now he's rich and successful, so his only pain is "somebody doesn't like me" and that doesn't make for very good art, so he said on a podcast a couple years back that in order to become the Kevin Smith that made Clerks and Chasing Amy, he'd have to be unhappy again and he's not interested in that.

MotU: Revelation was really good, though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LividLiquid posted:

MotU: Revelation was really good, though.

:emptyquote:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Anukahn posted:

I've watched a lot of films I didn't end up enjoying but this was one I really wished I'd turned off. It was like Human Centipede but shitter.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Absolutely, the Superman story is hysterical and did he do it completely off the cuff? It’s timed so perfectly it’s like something that he fine tuned out of years of working on it at open mics or something.

I don’t know if he should have been a stand up comic, but professional storyteller or something? A profession that doesn’t really exist in our society. He’s very good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's exactly what his job is and has been since that DVD. Even when he releases a film, he tours with it and does talking gigs as part of the show.

He's done a number of stand-up specials at this point and they were all just stories like that.