Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I keep my computer running overnight but turn off the monitors. A few times a year (since when I built my current pc September 2015 and got the monitors at the same time), when I turn my monitors back on in the morning (primary first, then secondary, connected via DisplayPort cables), the primary remains a blank display and I have to turn it off and back on again. Very occasionally, this results in my web browser window being shrunken and having to expand it again, despite both monitors running at a resolution that well exceeds the web browser size.

Today, I had to turn the primary off and back on twice. It came up for a second and then went on standby again.

System specs in case it's relevant:
ASRock Z170 Extreme7+
Intel Core i7-6700K (non-overclocked)
4x16GB Corsair DDR4-2400
Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti
Samsung 850 EVO M.2 500GB
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Windows 8.1 Pro
Dell U2715H (primary)
Dell U2415 (secondary)

Interestingly, according to HWiNFO64, the primary says the monitor name is 'Unknown Model: DELD066', although it does show the correct info for the Manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try running:
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/DDU/download/DDU%20v18.0.1.4.exe

Then installing the latest GPU drivers again.

Upgrading to W10 may fix the issue.