Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

I have money in 401Ks and mutual funds. I just went through a divorce and until my house is sold this is my primary cushion should I need anything. I’m disabled, as well.

I know there’s a penalty to withdraw early, but if it’s reinvested in something like a home or land am I still penalized?

Being disabled, can I withdraw without penalty and if so how do I go about this? Do I just need a physician’s note saying I’m disabled? I didn’t file for disability in time and lost my SS credits, because my ex husband made enough I felt guilty draining the system. If I’d known by not filing I’d lose decades of paying into the system I just would have filed. So, I’m not on disability at this point.

And that’s another question. Since I’m now divorced, can I try for disability again?

Thank you in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I think your situation has a lot of variables in flux that are tough to address without knowing your exact specifics. You're probably best off talking to a professional attorney and accountant rather than depending on the quality of advice that this subforum full of people posting for entertainment purposes can provide.

I'm sorry for being unhelpful, but I think your consequences for mistakes are too high to trust to this clowncar fiesta of shitposters.

As for your last question, you can always try for disability again, but you're best off doing so with the guidance of an attorney who knows your state and federal laws as well as how the judges are inclined to rule on the various factors.

As for your financial questions, if you have money in mutual funds outside of tax deferred vehicles, you can withdraw without penalty. But given how your questions are scattered and vague, I think you should consult with a fiduciary financial planner to verify where exactly your money is and where it is coming from.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Thank you.