Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh good, you guys went in on how little seemed to happen in this game. I thought it was just me. I rewatched the LP like, 3 times since episode 5 and I still can't keep events in order. It's like Phantasmagoria all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, we've opened the last door in the castle. Behind here, Meier Link lies in wait with Charlotte, and D's not going to leave until he's finished his job. However, it turns out that this door held a darker secret, a greater threat than anyone involved could have imagined... Can D escape alive, and with his mark? What about the rest of the cast still inside the castle? All this and more on the story finale of Vampire Hunter D!

And make sure to tune in next week as we cover the alternative endings to the game! We're not quite done yet!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Meier Link's Alpha Centauri

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are you going into more of what happened in the movie? Meier was built up to be pretty much invincible and he almost paid no attention to the sunlight.
It was the only anime I have with just the dub.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
... I am actually disapointed that they didn't the during credits bits where we watch the the rocket eventually arrive at the City of Night.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Pretty short game, at least. Could have grinded out even more with pointless running around for keys.

What kind of game do you think would have suited D better? Action RPG, not cutting out the initial chase? Telling one of the other stories where he has more interactions with people? A faster-paced action fighting game, like Castlevania?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Until now my only experience with this franchise was seeing an AMV set to the Muppet Show version of Mah Na Mah Na (my mom's been an anime fan since the 80s and she got my brother hooked when he was young so they both watched a ton of AMVs during the 00s)

I had held off on outright posting it because I realized watching it that it's based from the OVA that has the same source material as the game so I wanted to avoid spoilers, but now it looks like I'm in the clear and everything in this we haven't seen is stuff that didn't make it into the game and/or made up for the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_iMe7ieo3o

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
There actually is a decent reason for why Carmilla looks like an FF8 sorceress. The illustrations for Vampire Hunter D were by Yoshitaka Amano so the character designer was pretty much just adapting those designs to be something more workable, and then with the sorceresses in FF8, and especially Edea, their designs were Tetsuya Nomura trying to do designs that were very similar in fashion and style to Amano's work. Both end up sorta being Amano but a step removed as a result. Also on a similar note, Carmilla's boss form is extremely a Jenova fight.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

In other news, that other game that was at least clear about what what happening each mission even if you weren't getting tons of new abilities finally put an update out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTEGUlAE_Yo

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: FINAL UPDATE TIME! :siren:

It's time to close the book on this tale of love and hope in an uncaring world! D now experiences the divergent timelines to his stories, where things could have turned out very* differently for him and the rest of the residents of Castle Chaythe. What fate will befall the cast in these other endings, and how significantly does it affect the tone of the story?

And if you're interested in knowing more about the movie that inspired this game, you can check out this podcast I did for last Halloween with friend of the show Hobotron!

YouTube

MP3 Download

Thanks for watching! While the next full group Otaku Trash Machine project is still in the works, I have a short series going up soon that's sure to keep you all entertained while we regain our VP to prep for the LP!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I might as well look for my DVD, but I thought the final part of the ending in the movie was D paying respects to Leila's Wake about 80 years later and seeing her family.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Geez, all that just from the lack of a gun? What a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Scalding Coffee posted:

I might as well look for my DVD, but I thought the final part of the ending in the movie was D paying respects to Leila's Wake about 80 years later and seeing her family.

Yup, that's how it ends. Her grand daughter or something comes up to him as well and recognizes him as that old friend Leila kept talking about.