Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm enjoying this show. It's so melodramatic that "you're the clone of my childhood friend, who was a princess" doesn't even register as weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

looks like final episode will be another double-length

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm enjoying this show. It's so melodramatic that "you're the clone of my childhood friend, who was a princess" doesn't even register as weird.

I mean, it's not like it came completely out of nowhere...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I suppose you could call this last bit of the story Charce's Counter Attack :haw:

Joking aside I wouldn't put it past the author to be thinking that as a base for Charce and Aries/Seira naming wise given how much of this is giving me an "OH OF COURSE!" vibe even after having read the comic.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

ConanThe3rd posted:

I suppose you could call this last bit of the story Charce's Counter Attack :haw:

Joking aside I wouldn't put it past the author to be thinking that as a base for Charce and Aries/Seira naming wise given how much of this is giving me an "OH OF COURSE!" vibe even after having read the comic.
:five:

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Tales of Woe posted:

looks like final episode will be another double-length

I was just thinking that I can't see how they can wrap this up with only one episode but hell yes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Anshu posted:

I mean, it's not like it came completely out of nowhere...

I'm not talking about it being surprising, I'm talking about where it registers on the shark-jump-o-meter.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Charce's backstory. All the character drama has been pretty relatable up till now, and then this guy comes with his bullshit sad anime past. And also Aries officially lost chance to be more interesting. No brain damage, no trauma. I feel like she doesn't quite fit in the group very well.

That said, the show still knows what it's about, its themes still come through. But shonen gotta shonen, I guess.

On a side note I can't wait to see your reaction to the last episode :allears:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Nice touch with the group photo in the credits and which arm Kanata has around Charce.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
This whole episode was just build up for the "right hand man" pun. Worth it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You gotta respect Kanata's dedication to his craft

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dang I sure am wishing that final episode wasn't double length, mainly because that epilogue feels like it's never gonna end.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah that could have been edited down to a normal length episode, i was expecting a bigger twist or payoff for the extra length

enjoyed the series overall but it definitely peaked in episode 9 and everything after that felt a bit lackluster

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I liked it enough to see it through to the end though I'll admit the finale soured me a bit on it.

It's kinda wild that all the infodumps on history being a lie seemed to serve no grand purpose in the narrative other than being a lot of backstory to explain and justify the wormhole haha.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it was 100% unneeded and so incredibly unbelievable

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
That was for real the ending from Monty Python and the Holy Grail and then 30 minutes of epilogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRxwBb7ev1Y&t=95s

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I kept expecting the memory-transplanting tech to have foreshadowed that they already had memory-erasing tech to explain the secret history.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 19, 2019

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sindai posted:

I kept expecting the memory-transplanting tech to have foreshadowed that they already had memory-erasing tech to explain the secret history.

Yeah, having all the foundations of society wiped away, then the most useful technology ever built being completely banned, then history being completely rewritten seemed a bit difficult to pull off without any kind of explanation beyond "They agreed to lie?"

Especially when the heroes blow away the foundations of society in, like, five minutes once they find out the truth.

Pretty bad finale, all told. Twice the length, none of the reveals or interesting conflicts. Everything was pretty much settled last episode, but we stayed for much longer than needed just to clean up loose ends.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I thought it was okay, but it really could've ended at the eyecatch break when the Astra heads down to the planet in formation with the others. Everything past that is just epilogue, and the only real surprise in it is that Ulgar is a clone of Finn rather than their dad.

One plot hole though; Why the gently caress do they even have heavily armed ships like that in a one-world goverment with an era of peace? I could see the equivalent of a naval cruiser with a single turret on the bow, but those things were built for war.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
When I was trying to make sense of the ending, I thought that it's still pretty thematically coherent, which is nice, I guess - you know, planet Astra being "a clone" of the Earth is analogical to kids' clone...ness?hood? idk, and whole humanity must go through the same process as kids upon discovering their true nature (lol). But yeah, it's bad and it made me retroactively like the series way less. I still think it's solid 7/10, pretty good for a shonen and had some great moments.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One plot hole though; Why the gently caress do they even have heavily armed ships like that in a one-world goverment with an era of peace? I could see the equivalent of a naval cruiser with a single turret on the bow, but those things were built for war.

Maybe it's for extraterrestrial threat? Wars are banned on Earth but assuming there's nothing to defend against in space would probably be too naive in this semi-realistic setting.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wouldn't consider it a plothole at all, just a detail unimportant in the grand scheme of things that I don't mind being left unexplained, especially in light of all the explaining that already went on in the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One plot hole though; Why the gently caress do they even have heavily armed ships like that in a one-world goverment with an era of peace?

To make sure it stays a one-world government. (okay, actually to make the viewer think they might blow the kid's ship up, instead of welcoming them back)