Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That was quite an ending. I wonder what the reward for finding all the secrets is. Thanks for the LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I had a wonderful time watching you play this game! Thank you for the lp.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Mraagvpeine posted:

That was quite an ending. I wonder what the reward for finding all the secrets is. Thanks for the LP.

Just an achievement. That's all. No extra content.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I meant that guy who wanted you to find 42 secrets. Does he give a blueprint?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The last blueprint that guy gives you allows you to enter the final Secret Cave of the game (and gives a hint to where it is,) which is just a hard bunch of maps that require you to do some of the weird things Lazyfire figured out.

Some are harder than others. I got stuck on a grapple puzzle that turns off your jetpack, requires you to do a grapple-momentum jump at an awkward angle and the only way out aside from completing the map was to die in lava.

There's also a harder segment of the Vectron chase.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 1, 2020

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Please attempt the postgame dungeon. Its such perfect, glorious bullshit. Some of it's got to be seen to be believed.

I respect the absolute hell out of this game. It is, as I said before, a game with humble aspirations but which fulfils them totally. It's a small thing but it's assembled with care and love and mastery of craft and I'd rather play it ten more times than another game of a hundred times its length and a thousand times its budget that amazes and wows with every available art asset and somehow feels completely identical to everything else released that year. It's a game that understands itself, it's a game that respects the player's time, it's a game that knows how you'll engage with it and how to work with you rather than against you. I'm unsure of the exact makeup of my personal small pantheon of perfect video games but I'm confident Steamword Dig 2 has a place in it.

I"m not sure why the game ranks your time taken (or death count). I'm honestly always a little uneasy when lines are drawn over whole game completion stats, because I don't think these considerations really work at that scope. But unless there are Trophies or whatever tied to it it's a purely incidental concern.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Fedule posted:

I"m not sure why the game ranks your time taken (or death count). I'm honestly always a little uneasy when lines are drawn over whole game completion stats, because I don't think these considerations really work at that scope. But unless there are Trophies or whatever tied to it it's a purely incidental concern.

Because the first game did (as well as Heist), and we wanted to continue the tradition (plus there are achievements for it). The expectation was that most people wouldn't really care too deeply about it, and the numbers are set so that we expect someone who plays casually to silver at least a category or two without really trying. Gold stars are the only real challenge targets, mainly intended to give some replay value to completionists.

I don't remember it ever really being suggested to drop end-game stats, but I wasn't involved in the discussions, I just implemented the stat tracking. I think we just felt it was a low-cost feature to add and that the benefit to whatever small group would want to have it was worth it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dot: This reactor is far too dangerous and unstable to use
Also Dot: <starts whacking reactor with pickaxe>

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I've pretty much 100%'d this game twice but noped super quickly on the secret dungeon content both times. If the individual parts of it were discrete challenges I might have battled away but I no longer have the patience for that kind of thing. I know this is entirely subjective but it's the only part of the game that left a sour taste as it felt a bit unfair and exclusionary in a game that is otherwise very fair and pretty much for everyone. I'm sure plenty of people enjoyed the challenge though.

And I need to get the Fen DLC for Heist sometime so I can reassure myself he's doing ok. (Please let there be a SD3 :ohdear:) Although I'm not sure how continuous the character is with this game as it did come out a couple of years prior.

Anyway, thanks for the LP Lazyfire, it was good to see you do something a bit left field from your usual.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Fedule posted:

Please attempt the postgame dungeon. Its such perfect, glorious bullshit. Some of it's got to be seen to be believed.

I respect the absolute hell out of this game. It is, as I said before, a game with humble aspirations but which fulfils them totally. It's a small thing but it's assembled with care and love and mastery of craft and I'd rather play it ten more times than another game of a hundred times its length and a thousand times its budget that amazes and wows with every available art asset and somehow feels completely identical to everything else released that year. It's a game that understands itself, it's a game that respects the player's time, it's a game that knows how you'll engage with it and how to work with you rather than against you. I'm unsure of the exact makeup of my personal small pantheon of perfect video games but I'm confident Steamword Dig 2 has a place in it.

I wasn't even aware there was a post-game dungeon/cave thing. I'm going to have to look into this one. And probably swear as I attempt it based on your assessment of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Just caught up and finished. I loved this game; the LP inspired my second play through.

Getting around by grappling inching across ceilings wears my thumbs out, so I will never be getting the achievement for no jet pack. (Plus I love the jet pack.)

I didn't find all 42 secrets; I think I found 36? And have no idea what I missed.

Thanks so much for the LP, Lazyfire. And should you ever get around to the rest of the miners' strike history, please post, that is fascinating and you tell it well.

Steam World Dig 3: Rescue Fen, please! (Or at least another Steam World Dig 3, please!)