Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonaventure

by sebmojo
well, i don't know much, but i think that the Joke (Witz in German), defined by the philosopher Kuno Fischer as "a playful judgment," is always short, built on a double meaning of words and therefore not open and obvious to everyone.* Its source of humor is in the speech itself, not the narrative, explanatory portion, which is kept to a minimum, serving only to enhance the sudden surprise of the punch line. The joke is an extremely succinct, polished form. Counting on general familiarity of the audience with the topic, it limits itself to a dramatic dialogue or even to a question and answer sequence. In this respect, it approaches related speech forms such as riddles or Wellerisms. Although jokes tend to come in series (sick jokes, elephant jokes, shaggy dog stories), they center on real or imaginary personalities (Graf Bobby, Klein Erna, Polack) and react immediately to worldwide and local events. The patterns are as old as those of the Schwank. Like the Schwank, the joke deals with universal themes of uncommon occurrences in commonplace situations: it does not elaborate on the context, it is flexible, and it travels speedily across borders. Adjusting to modern requirements, joke tellers have no stable repertoire; they owe their popularity rather to an ability to pick up current jokes and to tell them well. They do not necessarily perform for an audience; more often they crack jokes alternately with others at occasional get-togethers or casually for any individual.

that's my take anyway

* This definition was further elaborated by Sigmund Freud in his Jokes and Their Relation to the Unconscious (New York, 1963) in the fullest theoretical discussion of the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda

by Hand Knit
On the contrary, OP, your take leaves out many things that we might call a joke, such as the humorous long tale. I myself have coined the word Schwank to refer to both the shorter jokes which you seem to think (laughably, but not jokingly) comprise the entirety of the genre, and longer anecdotes. In my own opinion, and based on my own personal definition, the Schwank is a relatively long, well-structured, realistic narrative without fantastic or miraculous motifs. Its humor is obvious and easy to comprehend and the action is funny in itself without a punch line. The themes, though universal, are almost always localized in villages and small towns, the actors being peasants, small craftsmen, soldiers, itinerants, and members of religious orders. Schwank tellers usually develop their own repertoire of specific stories that they tell upon the request of their audiences.

Just a few of my thoughts on this subject. Hope this helps you better understand what a joke is.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

vanisher

Not much, whats a joke with you

The Klowner

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(nods sagely) I concur verily op

Dick Bastardly

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
we already have a joke explainer thank you OP

Awesome winter sig by Symbolic, love it!

Lovely sig by the masterful Matoi Ryuko, thanks!

Goons Are Gifts

Knock knock

google THIS

I think a joke is when u turn off ur monitor lol

Goons Are Gifts

google THIS posted:

I think a joke is when u turn off ur monitor lol

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

knife to joke you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

knife to joke you