Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I'm 40 and I've had these knots in my upper back, around and above the shoulder blades, fince I was a teenager. Over the years I've had loads of massages, I've had physical therapy for my posture, and even tried to relax, but the knots have never gone away. To get rid of them I first need to understand what they are. They don't hurt but they definitely feel weird. Where do I start solving this mystery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

burnsep posted:

I'm 40 and I've had these knots in my upper back, around and above the shoulder blades, fince I was a teenager. Over the years I've had loads of massages, I've had physical therapy for my posture, and even tried to relax, but the knots have never gone away. To get rid of them I first need to understand what they are. They don't hurt but they definitely feel weird. Where do I start solving this mystery?

Not sure if this is same thing but my son was a baseball pitcher and he always had these in his upper back muscles. Never really hurt but always, I dunno, kind of annoying. When he got to college and had a team trainer who rubbed then out regularly he said it was maybe the best feeling ever. I think it's just inflammation.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I had winged scapula and something like what you describe. Over a year ago I went to a physio who gave me a bunch of stretches for the opposing muscles, my chest and the front of my neck, and it has worked wonders.

What are your postural problems?

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

Weka posted:

What are your postural problems?

I'm tall (ish) so I hunch a fair bit, and my physio told me I walk with my feet splayed out. Also it turns out I slept all wrong and managed to gently caress up my right shoulder so thoroughly I had to go to an orthopedic surgeon (who sent me to the physio).

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I have constant pain/discomfort in my right shoulder blade... some days it doesn't hurt but others (i think when I've slept on that side) it's really annoying.

It goes away when I lift my right shoulder up.

I used to play guitar a lot but stopped because the posture for playing guitar is really uncomfortable for it.

What kind of stretches/exercisea can I do to alleviate it ?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im the same age and also tall and have the same problem but its mainly tied to my occupation, which is playing piano and mandolin and using computers

but also being tall contributes. if you are taller than average you are most likely bending or stooping a bit when using with things like counters or sinks, which are made for shorter people, and this adds up over the years. but if you are conscious if your posture more, you can reduce the amount you do this

while ive never been able to eliminate back problems i reduce them by working out a lot, yoga, and massage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you feel numbness in your arm/hand it could be a pinched nerve or disc issue in your spine. I get similar pain (especially after working out) and use a rolling massager tube, those are magic.