Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which QB that isn't as wholesome as Rivers was voted #1?
Mahomes
Brady
Brees
Rodgers
Dak
View Results

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
What is the NFL Top 100? If you don't know, you're probably looking for D&D or the weird anime forum we don't talk about. If you're still in the right place, the NFL Top 100 is a yearly program that counts down the top 100 players, voted upon by people who are- ostensibly- their peers. No word yet on whether or not they invalidated that criteria by letting Nathan Peterman have a ballot.

The NFL Top 100 has been airing yearly since 2011. Each night 10 players on the list are revealed, starting from lowest to #1, which has been Tom Brady 3 of the 8 previous years. JJ Watt and Adrian Peterson are the only real football players non-QBs to top the list. Each player has several highlights shown alongside commentary and anecdotes from their contemporaries. In short: it's the ultimate youtube highlight clip and something I frequently revisit during the long sportsless drought known as "the offseason".

Currently, the NFL is uploading each episode to YouTube as they air. This thread is pretty late, so 90 players have already been announced. Only the top 10 is left, boys!

Notable players who are currently absent from the list and almost certainly in the top 10: Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Aaron Donald, Patrick Mahomes, Todd Gurley. Help me figure out which 2 obvious players I am forgetting. I'm scared these clowns voted for Dak Prescott and I want hope that I am wrong. Also, did Sherman and Earl Thomas get snubbed?
Edit: Khalil Mack is definitely top 10. One player left.

I leave you with my favorite video of the 2019 countdown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfMZn9VEuXE

And a historical video more awkward than Tyreek's 2019 highlight video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWX96JNmqRc

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
The current list:

11 DeAndre Hopkins
12 JJ Watt
13 Michael Thomas
14 Alvin Kamara
15 Bobby Wagner
16 Saquon Barkley
17 Phillip Rivers
18 Ezekiel Elliott
19 Tyreek Hill
20 Andrew Luck
21 Travis Kelce
22 Stephon Gilmore
23 Odell Beckham Jr.
24 Luke Kuechly
25 Russell Wilson
26 Darius Leonard
27 Jalen Ramsey
28 Fletcher Cox
29 George Kittle
30 Eddie Jackson
31 Derwin James
32 Jared Goff
33 Adam Thielen
34 Melvin Gordon
35 Davante Adams
36 Chris Jones
37 Jamal Adams
38 Keenan Allen
39 Akiem Hicks
40 Zach Ertz
41 Cameron Jordan
42 Christian McCaffrey
43 David Bakhtiari
44 Ben Roethlisberger
45 DeMarcus Lawrence
46 Patrick Peterson
47 JuJu Smith-Schuster
48 Melvin Ingram
49 Myles Garrett
50 Baker Mayfield
51 Deshaun Watson
52 Tyron Smith
53 Mike Evans
54 Calais Campbell
55 Xavien Howard
56 Joey Bosa :rip:
57 Danielle Hunter
58 A.J. Green
59 Zack Martin
60 Larry Fitzgerald
62 James Conner
63 Jadeveon Clowney
64 Amari Cooper
65 Jason Pierre-Paul
66 Eric Ebron
67 Dee Ford
68 Phillip Lindsay
69 Matt Ryan
70 T.Y. Hilton
71 C.J. Mosley
72 Jason Kelce
73 Stefon Diggs
74 Leighton Vander Esch
75 Gerald McCoy
76 Robert Woods
77 Taylor Lewan
78 Kirk Cousins
79 Geno Atkins
80 Mark Ingram
81 Trent Williams
82 Bradley Chubb
83 Harrison Smith
84 Jarvis Landry
85 Frank Clark
86 Darius Slay
87 Cam Newton
88 Cameron Heyward
89 Devin McCourty
90 Julian Edelman
91 Andrew Whitworth
92 Jurrell Casey
93 T.J. Watt
94 Mitchell Schwartz
95Kyle Fuller
96 Carson Wentz
97 Byron Jones
98 Tyler Lockett
99 Derrick Henry
100 Eric Weddle

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 31, 2019

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
:siren:Currently both the Bills and Raiders are completely absent from the list!:siren:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

chandler jones

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

hifi posted:

chandler jones

Yuck. You're probably right, but I hate the though of a Cardinal in the top 10. Also, was his season really that impressive? He should definitely be in the list somewhere, but I'm struggling to say his season was better than Saquon's, for example.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Philip :allears:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Why would Earl Thomas be on this list? He didn't play last year

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chichevache posted:

Notable players who are currently absent from the list and almost certainly in the top 10: Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Aaron Donald, Patrick Mahomes, Todd Gurley. Help me figure out which 2 obvious players I am forgetting. I'm scared these clowns voted for Dak Prescott and I want hope that I am wrong. Also, did Sherman and Earl Thomas get snubbed?
Edit: Khalil Mack is definitely top 10. One player left.

Von Miller

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Yuck. You're probably right, but I hate the though of a Cardinal in the top 10. Also, was his season really that impressive? He should definitely be in the list somewhere, but I'm struggling to say his season was better than Saquon's, for example.

no, he was pretty average last year but i have no clue how he'd be unranked.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

DariusLikewise posted:

He had 3 interceptions in 2018. Also, the players sometimes just vote on name recognition. A few years ago a dude who played less than half the season got ranked pretty highly. JJ Watt, probably.

This is more likely than Chandler.

hifi posted:

no, he was pretty average last year but i have no clue how he'd be unranked.

Probably because even the players forgot the Cardinals exist.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

DariusLikewise posted:

When they did the list after the 2011 season, which Peyton Manning didn’t play, he was voted 50th. It was a split because apparently nearly half the people voted him #1, after being voted #2 the year before, and seeing how terrible the Colts were without him, while half didn’t include him at all.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Joe Thomas talked about how the voting goes for these and it's as dumb as you think. They hand some random players a selection of guys with name recognition and tell them to pick X number of guys

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Joe Thomas talked about how the voting goes for these and it's as dumb as you think. They hand some random players a selection of guys with name recognition and tell them to pick X number of guys

x=20 I believe. Yeah it's not scientific, but in the end most of the guys who should be on the list made it on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNpzf1V_erk

Definitely my favorite video, there's a super metal interlude in the middle where they quickly show a large number of Hopkins' best catches, it's good production and it makes clear how amazing he really was last year. Completely insane

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

I'm not saying scientific or anything but it would be cool to see players actually pick guys. A surprise name or 2 could make this actually interesting

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Chichevache posted:

:siren:Currently both the Bills and Raiders are completely absent from the list!:siren:

This was my exact thought while scanning through the list. At least 2 former Bills though!

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Chichevache posted:

(there will be one Raider on there)

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

And also lol @ Rodney Hudson not being on there

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

Play posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNpzf1V_erk

Definitely my favorite video, there's a super metal interlude in the middle where they quickly show a large number of Hopkins' best catches, it's good production and it makes clear how amazing he really was last year. Completely insane
115 receptions, 0 drops. Holy crap.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Whoops

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 31, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

that one guy posted:

115 receptions, 0 drops. Holy crap.

You know I could've sworn I saw him drop a ball or two, but I don't know exactly how they quantify that. I mean probably what looks like a drop for him would be downright impossible for most guys to even get a hand on

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Blitz7x posted:

(there will be one Raider on there)

Not when he earned his way onto the list!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
They are too scared to put justin tucker as number 1

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol they just announced Mahomes at 4 behind Brees and already my notifications are like air raid sirens with KC fans overreacting

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
10. Von Miller
9. Julio Jones
8. Aaron Rodgers
7. Antonio Brown
6. Tom Brady
5. Todd Gurley
4. Patrick Mahomes

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
3. Khalil Mack
2. Drew Brees
1. Aaron Donald

2 d linemen in the top 3 is awesome

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Brady not the top overall or even top QB, I woke up in a cold sweat to agree with Ches’ take that this is dumb :colbert:

Nah it is a cool and good list and lol that my undead gay quarterback is still somehow in the top 10. Agree that it is very awesome to see DL dudes topping the charts. It’ll be interesting to see what position it shifts to in the future. I’m seeing post- pass rush takes because the Pats pay Gilmore and DGAF about Flowers walking. Also a pro-fullback resurgence due to teams that have a good passing game and also good fullbacks. Which seems like a lot of correlation != causation but :shrug:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/vcsjoecurley/status/1156760409275109377?s=21

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Brady not the top overall or even top QB, I woke up in a cold sweat to agree with Ches’ take that this is dumb :colbert:

Nah it is a cool and good list and lol that my undead gay quarterback is still somehow in the top 10. Agree that it is very awesome to see DL dudes topping the charts. It’ll be interesting to see what position it shifts to in the future. I’m seeing post- pass rush takes because the Pats pay Gilmore and DGAF about Flowers walking. Also a pro-fullback resurgence due to teams that have a good passing game and also good fullbacks. Which seems like a lot of correlation != causation but :shrug:

My opinion is driven entirely by Joe Thomas. I can only disagree with Joe on one thing and that's Hue Jackson.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
How'd Brees get in ahead of Mahomes?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

A.o.D. posted:

By getting more votes from other NFL players.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

A.o.D. posted:

It’s weird.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
Chris Harris Jr and Casey Hayward super snubbed.

East coast bias, etc.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Afterbirth Aftermath posted:

Chris Harris Jr and Casey Hayward super snubbed.

East coast bias, etc.

you mean Chris Whosthat Jr. and Casey Heywhatnow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
this list was worse than my personal top 100 nfl players, and my list is andy dalton 99 times