Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i use live tiles on the win10 start menu every day. they're super good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaggar posted:

you'll be the only one to miss them when they're gone

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Shaggar posted:

How does it feel to be objectively wrong.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Either way I was actually shocked to learn that Windows 10 Phone used the NT kernel instead of the hacked up 3.11 based CE "kernel." Sucks that it had a grand total of 4 apps I guess.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Shaggar posted:

lol

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
my only experience with live tiles was my mom asking me wtf marine le pen was doing in her start menu during the french presidential elections

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rear end posted:

How does it feel to be objectively wrong.

about what? live tiles ruled on win phone. They're slightly less useful on the start menu, but its cool to be able to see the weather and stuff at a glance.

like i can kind of understand if you never used winphone you don't get how much better it is than trash like ios. ios is almost unusably bad in comparison.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

i don't believe you

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Shaggar posted:

about what? live tiles ruled on win phone.

shaggarisright.gif

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

shaggarisright.gif

Should really make your reconsider your opinion.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I loved my Nokia 521. Cheap, reliable. Shame it didn't work out.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
It's pretty good, a good alternative should WebOS ever become untenable

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol at least palmos lives on in tvs

palmos

webos

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
honestly from what little i've seen (which is screenshots) lg webos on tvs looks like neither

pram
Jun 10, 2001
webos was good like beos was good

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
In the list of "Phones that looked like something I could shove up my rear end for sexual gratification" the Palm Pre was high on the list (I'd probably put the Motorola PEBL above it on the list except I never had one of those).

I do kinda like the idea of every app being a webpage, that was the WebOS "thing" right?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

In the list of "Phones that looked like something I could shove up my rear end for sexual gratification" the Palm Pre was high on the list (I'd probably put the Motorola PEBL above it on the list except I never had one of those).

I do kinda like the idea of every app being a webpage, that was the WebOS "thing" right?

What other phones would you shove up your rear end

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

bradzilla posted:

What other phones would you shove up your rear end

Nokia Candybar, Motorola RAZR, Palm Treo, Blackberry Curve, Palm Pre, Samsung Galaxy S (the Sprint one with the sidekick-style slide keyboard), then the iPhone 4, 5, 6, 8?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Schadenboner posted:

Nokia Candybar, Motorola RAZR, Palm Treo, Blackberry Curve, Palm Pre, Samsung Galaxy S (the Sprint one with the sidekick-style slide keyboard), then the iPhone 4, 5, 6, 8?

In a row?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Well I don't think they'd all fit widthwise?

:mad:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

pram posted:

webos was good like beos was good

lol

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Schadenboner posted:

It was kind of like the web in that each app could have multiple windows (or cards) --- e.g., you could have your list of emails in one window, each email could have its own window, and you could compose replies or new emails, each in its own window as well. Nothing else does that to this day.

It was also kind of like the web in that the UI was written in JavaScript, CSS, and HTML. There were a few apps here and there that had native code but if your app wasn't CPU-intensive at all, it was WebKit all the way down.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

There Will Be Penalty posted:

honestly from what little i've seen (which is screenshots) lg webos on tvs looks like neither
it doesn’t look like that at all. i got the midrange IPS 4K though and it isn’t slow as dogshit, which is ultimately what you want if you want to use the smart poo poo in your tv, so it’s ok in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hypercard: the UI