Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
@channel snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

pointsofdata posted:

In the China office everyone uses WeChat or the other thing (qq?). It makes compliance really mad because they can't get the chats out but all the counterparties use them so they can't do anything

yeah lol its bad

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

we have cisco video phones (work great) and jabber (complete dice roll from better than desk phones to total poo poo show)

if i work from home i dont even bother with video chat because the moment it drops a packet it begins to jackknife right into a poo poo show. its a real shame because video calls are a lot easier to connect with people and it helps because I work with teams some where between est -3 to est +11 so not being a detached voice is helpful

the single upside to the jabber ios app is it looks great on an ipad and the brady bunch/hollywood squares layout makes it easy to track a bunch of participants

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
video chat is actually horrible bc you should be paying attention to what a person is saying, not whatever quirky lego thing or live laugh love poster they have in their carefully staged office

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it’s because there is a god, op, and he very specifically hates you personally and created this world to torture you

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
video chat is so your coworkers working from home can show you their pets

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
video chat is for remote offices so I can what's happening instead of asking a 100 questions to a person that has never seen the inside of a computer

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

the fuk is google meet? sincere question

meet.google.com

its a very good video conferencing/meeting app that also allows you to schedule rooms, screenshare and present very seamlessly*

all you need is a chromecast w internet access

*if your org has a paid g suite account

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

video chat is actually horrible bc you should be paying attention to what a person is saying, not whatever quirky lego thing or live laugh love poster they have in their carefully staged office

i am so lucky we have a team with some taste

Ploft-shell crab posted:

video chat is so your coworkers working from home can show you their pets

this is the real issue but its a good one

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

we have a slack-like that is nothing but pet pics sometimes and there are some really good pups on the team

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if your company does lots of video chat I suggest you invest in one of these for your home office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Share Bear posted:

meet.google.com

its a very good video conferencing/meeting app that also allows you to schedule rooms, screenshare and present very seamlessly*

all you need is a chromecast w internet access

*if your org has a paid g suite account

ty

sounds like a g suite only version of the old hangouts app, which i found p. needs suiting back before zoom.us was a thing