Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ginko
Mar 28, 2010

Here's the cover art for this last video! Sorry, it's a bit late! My hope was to draw janky vaguely-realistic Velociraptors playing basketball.

And for an added bonus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like

Antistar01 posted:

I'm surprised you didn't shoot the statues in Hammond's front yard. From memory if you hit them right, the pieces explode out everywhere.

Aaaah shoot, I'll record what happens next session.

Crazy Achmed posted:

The optimist in me wants to think they could have worked with their limitations - a few dinos per level could have been offset by making them hard to kill and having them do some poo poo like run away at scripted points and then stalk/ambush you later. But I guess the survival horror genre was still in its infancy then and this might have been too much of a thematic shift / clashed with their attempts to make an ecosystem. It's telling that Dino Crisis was a thing, I feel.

It really is a shame because there a times the Raptors get reeeeeally good at sneaking up behind you sometimes, unfortunately we haven't seen that a ton in this playthrough.

I think I see a subtle nod with the raptor with the ball

Time for an interesting look at a 1998 browser game!

Jurassic Park: The Ride - Online Adventure

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of exploding I think we need a new bat avatar where the raptor fuckin' explodes at the end.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Speaking of exploding I think we need a new bat avatar where the raptor fuckin' explodes at the end.

I may take a crack at this with some free time on the weekend....

We got another beefy episode aaaand a bonus!

Part 5 - The Lab

Bonus - A Deeper Look

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Well, that sure was a... unique physics interaction there. Wonder if the devs were planning on having weapons carry over between levels, as it is a real shame to finally get access to Nedry's Mace and then only have a single raptor left on the map. Also kinda weird in general that the map had so many weapons and yet so few hostile dinos on it, especially in and around the bio-lab area.

And... yeah, had forgotten how... unique Anne's actual model was. Seeing the noodle arm just bouncing off the ground while it isn't holding anything or watching it flail about grasping for a gun or the bat on the ground was just surreal.

UED Special Ops fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 14, 2019

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
"I want a game with RNG-based physics."

Then you're in luck because infamously bad game Bad Rats apparently has that.

On where the light is coming from inside the labs: That's kind of the thing, really; in a way the game doesn't have lighting. Everything is the same brightness level; you just don't notice so much in the outdoors.

Oh yeah; I always missed/forgot about turning the Cray on before starting the boot-up sequence. To be fair, the big red lever that does that is right next to the big doors. Going by standard computer game logic, that would indicate that it's for the doors and not the computer, right?

Also in these modern days of google image search, I can learn that Cray supercomputers really did look like that. Huh.

While I'm linking stuff, lately I've been reading this Gamasutra article on Trespasser that I came across while doing some basic fact-checking on an earlier post. Don't know how I've missed it all these years; it's from 1999. It's an interesting snapshot of where technology and the industry was back then.

Being a Gamasutra article it's kind of technical in places, but it's got some interesting info in there. E.g. all the levels in the game are apparently based on a physical sculpture of the island that was laser-scanned and then imported into 3ds max.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

UED Special Ops posted:

Well, that sure was a... unique physics interaction there. Wonder if the devs were planning on having weapons carry over between levels, as it is a real shame to finally get access to Nedry's Mace and then only have a single raptor left on the map. Also kinda weird in general that the map had so many weapons and yet so few hostile dinos on it, especially in and around the bio-lab area.

Yeah the weapons thing is kind of a bummer, I wonder if it was a balancing issue or something? Ammo is pretty tough to manage as it is with the aiming as unreliable as it is. Or maybe it was just carrying over information made things crash and dinos fly off into the sky.

Antistar01 posted:

"I want a game with RNG-based physics."

Then you're in luck because infamously bad game Bad Rats apparently has that.

On where the light is coming from inside the labs: That's kind of the thing, really; in a way the game doesn't have lighting. Everything is the same brightness level; you just don't notice so much in the outdoors.

Oh yeah; I always missed/forgot about turning the Cray on before starting the boot-up sequence. To be fair, the big red lever that does that is right next to the big doors. Going by standard computer game logic, that would indicate that it's for the doors and not the computer, right?

Also in these modern days of google image search, I can learn that Cray supercomputers really did look like that. Huh.

While I'm linking stuff, lately I've been reading this Gamasutra article on Trespasser that I came across while doing some basic fact-checking on an earlier post. Don't know how I've missed it all these years; it's from 1999. It's an interesting snapshot of where technology and the industry was back then.

Being a Gamasutra article it's kind of technical in places, but it's got some interesting info in there. E.g. all the levels in the game are apparently based on a physical sculpture of the island that was laser-scanned and then imported into 3ds max.

Ok no, we're not introducing Jesse to Bad Rats. Thanks for checking out and linking all that stuff, been a crazy week this week (hence why no video earlier in the week) so I'm going to have to read that Gamasutra article over the weekend. That's super interesting how they 3D scanned everything...I wonder if that was quicker than modeling it?

We have some actual proper use of physics and another intentional melee kill! This games' ideas were not bad as it turns out!

Part 6 - The Ascent - Part 1

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bad game with good ideas is always the most frustrating thing, even if those good ideas play poorly. Speaking of playing poorly and good ideas I can't believe its not possible to kill the T-Rex with the mace.

Another thing you probably can say won't happen in any other game is springboarding off the back of a velociraptor and get so high as to die from fall damage.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I would have been amazing if you could kill a T-rex with that trap. I know you can do it with three headshots from that one weapon with 3 rounds, at least based on the other LP.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Funny you should describe the music as "ominous" - the composer also did the score for Undying (another favourite game of mine), and it's pretty similar. I can't hear the music in Trespasser now without thinking of Undying.

I always tried to get that T-Rex with the rolling head statue - don't think I ever managed it.

homphgomph posted:

Ok no, we're not introducing Jesse to Bad Rats. Thanks for checking out and linking all that stuff, been a crazy week this week (hence why no video earlier in the week) so I'm going to have to read that Gamasutra article over the weekend. That's super interesting how they 3D scanned everything...I wonder if that was quicker than modeling it?

Seems like the short answer is "not really"; they still had to touch it up a lot manually afterwards. The dev writing the post-mortem did credit it with giving the environments a more natural feeling than they probably would have had otherwise, though.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
and look what the newest AVGN is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15pi8vrUx9c

Obviously spoilers for future parts of the game

EDIT: there is an interview with Seamus Blackley the Executive Producer at the end

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 25, 2019

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I have to be honest and say that I found that video to be pretty annoying, but it did do a good job of showing what it was like to play Trespasser in 1998. (I.e. that computers of the day couldn't really run it, like I was saying earlier.)

It is cool to see the game being covered even twenty years later, though. That kind of blows my mind, actually. Same with people making mods for the game to this day - that video did also show some of those briefly. I've never really checked out the modded content for the game, I have to admit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Antistar01 posted:

It is cool to see the game being covered even twenty years later, though. That kind of blows my mind, actually. Same with people making mods for the game to this day - that video did also show some of those briefly. I've never really checked out the modded content for the game, I have to admit.

It's a game where the heart and ambition can show. They couldn't do what they intended on systems of the day, and didn't have the time/money/experience required to figure out how to do something else, but the effort is visible.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

We'll be getting a little into the user content next week. Some impressive stuff actually...

Work has been kinda kicking my rear end, so I apologize for the lack of input, but! We persist none the less...

Part 7 - The Ascent (Part 2)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

God those mountain textures. There aren't enough weirdly dedicated people in the world to make that look even vaguely like anything. The mid 2000's have nothing on that brown.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
drat, where was that tweak to carry three things at once twenty years ago?

I was hoping you'd show what happens if you take a tumble down the mountain. :v: Not many games do first-person ragdoll deaths, and that bit at the end of the video may be why.

No pterodactyls in Trespasser, but a few years later we were "blessed" with cliff-racers in Morrowind. I can only imagine the experience would be similar. (Similar plus glitchy physics I guess.)

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Antistar01 posted:

I was hoping you'd show what happens if you take a tumble down the mountain. :v: Not many games do first-person ragdoll deaths, and that bit at the end of the video may be why.

No pterodactyls in Trespasser, but a few years later we were "blessed" with cliff-racers in Morrowind. I can only imagine the experience would be similar. (Similar plus glitchy physics I guess.)

Proto-Cliff-Racers in this engine would be a hilarious sight to see, and they would probably just clip into a cliff edge like that one poor raptor did. Do like the attempt at the end of the level to at least try and make it seem that InGen was building a path up this mountain, and that they didn't just sprinkle random boards and boxes every 100 feet or so instead. Also can see why the devs. disabled dino jumping, could easily see every raptor on the mountain just instantly leaping off it to their doom, if they even take fall damage that is.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder what tumbling down the cliff would look like in 3rd person view.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Antistar01 posted:

It's super useful but for whatever reason I was having a hard time enabling it. Turns out I wasn't editing the right config file and well...yeah.

UED Special Ops posted:

Also can see why the devs. disabled dino jumping, could easily see every raptor on the mountain just instantly leaping off it to their doom, if they even take fall damage that is.
You'll get to see some jumping dinos in the bonus video, they are some hoppy friends

Hoooly shiiiiiiit

Now it is time for the end of this LP!

Part 8 - The Summit

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder what tumbling down the cliff would look like in 3rd person view.
I also wonder....

Also a little bonus of Annes final extremely well thought out mission and a peek into the Level Editor

Burly Brawl/Level Editor

If you stick around to the end of part 8, we do mention our next LP idea. This will probably be in November as we're currently working on some spooky games for October. Probably won't be a thread about those, and I'm not sure about a thread for the next "big" let's play but we'll see. I hope you all enjoyed our playthrough of Trespasser! Wish we could have had more time to get some more random JP games but life happens sometimes.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Hey, thanks for the LP. :) It's cool seeing the game in modern times.

I hadn't seen the editor before, so it and the resulting shenanigans were interesting to see too. The "novelty gun that is too big so it keeps slipping out of your hand" is a perfectly Trespasser thing, I think.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Well, that sure was a fitting ending for the LP. Loved the Raptors just chasing their tails or booping their snouts on walls. Great LP all around, and nice to see another take on this old gem. Guess the only thing left to say is: The Main Harbor for Site B.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

Thanks for the lp; it was a blast.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:3: I'm only just now discovering this LP (now that it's done) but I can already tell it's a good one.

Watching the first video, the comment from a while back about it looking like a VR demo from a few years back is spot-on. I don't think I've actually sat down and watched the game since ResearchIndicates' LP in 2008?! :psyduck:, and it feels much different (even weirdly less dated in some ways) with the last few years of VR development in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can't believe they disabled dinosaur jumping!

From the AVGN video posted a bit back the lead developer said that Attenborough was one of the few non-game people that actually made them feel like they were making something legitimate so confirmed good.

Anyways Trespasser is always a ride to see played. It's a terrible game but sometimes that's enough.