Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i thought it was good and the irken armada traveling in a straight line is a good gag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

ulex minor posted:

thought this was pretty boring and not as surreal or with as many odd/unique plot concepts as the original. just some re-heated style gags thrown on top of a generic story

Pretty much this. Although getting some more of the background science dad was pretty fun, it was honestly kinda generic and tame. Honestly it hit a lot of wholesome notes which felt pretty out of place. Also the character of the sister wasn't anything like how I remember, although it has been over a decade.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Bimmi posted:

I watched a shitload of cartoons as a non-kid in the '90s, and always found Rocko to be abrasive unfunny trash that took all the wrong ideas from older, better cartoons. Sorry about your childhoods.

e: okay, I feel a little bad about this. Really not trying to poo poo on anyone who liked it. I honestly wanted to give the movie a fair shake, and thought that going into it with fresh eyes might help me to see whatever it was I missed back then, but less than five minutes in it's NIPPLES OF THE FUTURE and I was instantly reminded why I never liked it in the first place.

That’s pretty much what it was, though. It was something I watched because it was on, kind of like Ren and Stimpy. Watching it now it’s kind of like...the gently caress, did I actually enjoy this before?

But I still love Zim, even though the movie isn’t quite like the show. A lot of that is due to the focus being on Dib and his family instead of just Dib trying to thwart Zim while everyone ignores him.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I don't remember Dib or Gaz ever being referred to by their full names before

for some reason I thought it was canon that their dad being "Professor Membrane" was just a dumb pulpy name for a scientist and not necessarily indicative of a family name

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm surprised I can't find a video where Gir is about to sing the Doom Song and then plays the song from Doom

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I'll have to watch it again. All Invader Zim merits a second viewing to absorb any details that were missed. My girlfriend couldn't stand the constant screaming. I have to say, this was probably the loudest thing they made, but it's funny that they made their point that they were aware of that.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Me watching the Zim movie:

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Cool that the same voice actors came back.

I think this is a bit of an understatement. I wouldn't have touched this with a ten foot pole if the original cast (and Jhonen) weren't there.

Turned out to be excellent. Unlike pretty much everything coming back from the dead today (Inspector Gadget, Danger Mouse, MST3K, etc.), they didn't gently caress it up trying to "reboot" it or shoehorn it into "current culture." It's exactly the same as it ever was, which is exactly how it should be.

I kept waiting for some horrible change to ruin it, but it never happened. So grateful that Richard Horvitz still has the voice.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
The show was good for it's time, and it didn't hold up super well but it's still okay. The new movie made me sad and I gave up after 20 minutes, though. You can see the guy who created it struggling to remember what made the original show work and totaling missing the mark with every whiffed attempt to make a joke. It's like watching your grandfather looking at your grandmother and aaalmost remembering who she is, and then the fog of dementia just rolls back in and he's gone.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
I really, really wanted to like this, but unfortunately it really didn't hold up. Some of the zany/wacky stuff remains the same, but I can watch old Zim and still chuckle, this got nothing from me. It was like a stretched-out regular episode, but most of the jokes were whiffs, just another "Zim tries to take over the Earth and Dib defeats him at the last moment" stuff seemed like they were just phoning it in. I liked how Zim and Dib connected on pleasing father figures that would never acknowledge them, but it passed rather quickly. Gaz seemed shoe-horned in just because Dib was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Really? Though it seemed like part of the point of it was the Membrane family dynamics and Gaz starting to enjoy ridiculous adventures with Dib.

Still like that GIR finally pulls off one of Zim's orders flawlessly because it's as stupid as they are.