Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Some Guy From NY posted:

Very interesting to know about those posts. Seems like a waste though since they do sell posts without those extra slots, which also gives a cleaner look to the entire fence.

I believe if you use concrete inside the posts, it MUST BE Quickrete "Fast Setting Concrete Mix". No mixing required, it can be poured in dry and then water poured on top. I would ask around first, but I'm pretty sure this is the mix to use.

That’s my understanding as well when I was looking into it for setting the posts, is that the fast set doesn’t require traditional mixing. Thanks for the confirmation!

More progress on the fence—

Had a guy out the other day with a skidsteer to punch out the last set of holes! It cost less than the auger rental for a day, and took under an hour:

Seeing some of the obstructions like this brick he ran into, I’m really glad I didn’t try to do it myself

One of the holes was just chock full of head sized rocks he busted up with the downwards pressure on the auger. Wish I’d gone this route from the get-go!

I’m just waiting on the last few fence panels and gate kit to arrive, and I need to check in with my concrete guy to see how high he wants to set the driveway, since I plan on just having him run his form boards up to the fence. Trying to be very careful about getting the fencing as close as I can to the property line for the driveway, but that neighbor is a huge dick so I’m sure I’ll have issues eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've learned that heavy equipment is almost always worth the money. Zero chances of hurting yourself, it usually takes far far less time than you think, and often is far cheaper.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Finished the fence yesterday! Still need to finish putting in caps, backfilling a few spots, and I’ll put the gate on after the driveway is done.

Front side—the retaining wall post still needs mortared back together after the old neighbor dropped a tree on it. I’m just pissed they stole the stones that fit in so I didn’t notice, so I need to cut new ones. Another backburner project...

Going to fill in the garden here a bit more. Just planted some more pawpaw trees along the fence line

Back corner with the garden. Need to relocate the firepit still, and build something with a mesh ash screen so I don’t melt the fence:

Here’s the driveway. I have the gate kit and panels to install it, just going to wait until after the concrete driveway is poured to install them.

Going to add another bag of quikrete to the fence posts, I just ran out when installing it. Figured concrete is better than foam for long term stability since the gate post will be under stress. I also used an aluminum I-Beam from weatherables so the post can better support the gate weight:

Alongside and behind the garage:

For reference, I’ve been building this off the existing fence line on one side, and using the 2013 Cottrill survey pins to run string across and build everything straight and within the property lines. I’ve got signatures from all the property owners okaying the project and me building within 6” of the property line (small town lot), and went through a permitting process and a zoning committee variance approval process for my driveway where everyone in a 3 block radius was notified to give public comment during the meeting. Nobody did, but that’s the level of approval I’ve gone through with everything.

Queue up yesterday morning. The neighbors several doors down were getting a survey done and I thought it was odd the surveyor was poking around my lot. Turns out the fucker yanked up my survey pins he placed in 2013 and moved them a foot and a half the wrong direction because “he made a mistake”. My overall frontage doesn’t change, but now everything is hosed.

My fence (previously on the property line) is now encroaching on the neighbor’s lot, and the guy I have coming in to pour my driveway in two weeks will be pouring concrete on the neighbor’s lot.

I don’t have enough space to change anything as it’s already a tight squeeze (small town lot). It’s barely 11.5 feet from the house to the middle of the vacated alley, which is just big enough to build a passable driveway and put in a fence. Losing a foot and a half means that now the driveway would be barely big enough for a single vehicle, and that I would need to rip out my fence.

I have no idea what to do here. I talked to the owner of the surveyor company, and they admitted fault that they had messed up. Their offer was to move a handful of fence panels or give me a free survey to fix a deed omission adding a few extra feet behind the house in a vacated alley. Neither of those options work for me, because now I have permanent structures all out of alignment and encroaching on one side, and it kills all the excavation work, permitting, and planning for a driveway. I notified the village so next week I might find out more, and I’ve been gathering my pictures and documentation in case I eventually need to speak to a lawyer. That’s the last thing I want to do, but this really fucks me. I need to find out whether this was a certified survey, and whether the survey company has professional error insurance. The owner suggested it was “simple” for me to buy 1.5’ of the neighbor’s land, and from my understanding it really is not.

I thought it was illegal to eyeball survey pins and yank them out of the ground and move them? I asked the surveyor if this had ever happened before, and he said it had not in his experience so I have no idea what the precedent is for survey mistakes like this. It literally affects every house on the block, and I’m fairly sure it’s due to the village widening a nearby street two years ago, and the idiot based his survey on the curb. Would anyone here have any experience or advice?

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 26, 2020

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Get your own independent survey, ASAP while the evidence of the original pin locations is still present.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Finally heard back from a lawyer here in town about whether it would be a conflict of interest to represent me since they also represent the village zoning commission. I’ll be meeting with them in a few days to figure out how to proceed with the relocated survey pins.

In the meantime I just covered up the pins and am hoping the neighbor doesn’t notice and raise a stink or anything.

As for the fence, I’m nearly done. I’ve been reinforcing a few posts with problematic interior drainage by dumping fast set concrete in the lower holes, including the interior of the gate posts with the aluminum I-beams so they don’t move inside the sleeve. Used a traffic cone and razorback tile shovel to funnel dry quikrete into the lower routed post hole, and that worked really well.

Figure that’ll also help reinforce critical posts such as the corners and whatnot. After I’m done, I just need to pop on the caps and assemble the gate once the driveway is poured!

New neighbor on the other side just got their old patchwork privacy fence removed and a new wooden one installed. Cost them 3,800 to have a pro do it, and the whole thing was done in 5 hours. I’ve spent probably at least 3k on this project and it’s taken me four months of struggling to get material and then working my rear end off to get it in. Granted my overall fenced area is probably 40% larger than what the neighbors did, and it’s vinyl so hopefully will last forever and only need minimal maintenance. I’d say I may have saved roughly 3k in labor costs, just by quick back of the napkin math. Plus there’s some satisfaction in having accomplished everything :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

OSU_Matthew posted:

Finally heard back from a lawyer here in town about whether it would be a conflict of interest to represent me since they also represent the village zoning commission. I’ll be meeting with them in a few days to figure out how to proceed with the relocated survey pins.

In the meantime I just covered up the pins and am hoping the neighbor doesn’t notice and raise a stink or anything.

As for the fence, I’m nearly done. I’ve been reinforcing a few posts with problematic interior drainage by dumping fast set concrete in the lower holes, including the interior of the gate posts with the aluminum I-beams so they don’t move inside the sleeve. Used a traffic cone and razorback tile shovel to funnel dry quikrete into the lower routed post hole, and that worked really well.

Figure that’ll also help reinforce critical posts such as the corners and whatnot. After I’m done, I just need to pop on the caps and assemble the gate once the driveway is poured!

New neighbor on the other side just got their old patchwork privacy fence removed and a new wooden one installed. Cost them 3,800 to have a pro do it, and the whole thing was done in 5 hours. I’ve spent probably at least 3k on this project and it’s taken me four months of struggling to get material and then working my rear end off to get it in. Granted my overall fenced area is probably 40% larger than what the neighbors did, and it’s vinyl so hopefully will last forever and only need minimal maintenance. I’d say I may have saved roughly 3k in labor costs, just by quick back of the napkin math. Plus there’s some satisfaction in having accomplished everything :)
I just saw your home zone post.

Absolutely put your own marker/pin in the old survey pin hole. Depending on how long you have owned the place and been maintaining the land you thought was yours, you may have some claim or title to it through adverse possession/squatters rights. Take pictures of everything. Get all your communications with the survey company/planning people in writing. 'Oops we hosed up the survey for the whole neighborhood' is going to be a big loving mess and they shouldn't be solving it by moving around survey pins without permission, lol. I don't know about survey pins, but moving or destroying some survey markers like section corners is illegal in some states. You did right in getting a lawyer ASAP and getting one that works regularly with the zoning people is a good move.

I'm sure you know this, but IME anything to do with planning/zoning/surveying takes forever to get resolved.