Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I was at a local museum, and they had a display of local business letters and billing statements from the 1800- 1940ish. I thought the printed letter heads were beautiful. So I stared looking on eBay and found some but none from the area/ business I was looking for.

is there a name for this type of collectibles?
Where else can I look besides eBay and Etsy?

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
I think they would be broadly classified as "ephemera." You may be interested in this Washington Post article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-wistful-world-of-the-ephemera-society/2011/10/12/gIQAl3Fj1L_story.html

Printing during the time period you specified is really cool- from 19th century abolitionist pamphlets to shipping documents...

As to where to find these things: I don't have any ideas beyond what you mentioned- I would be interested to know myself.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
If you go to an antique mall you might get like and find a seller who has a lot of this kind of stuff. Also, you can look into stock certificates which seem kind of similar and people collect.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Are you looking to purchase these things or just for inspiration? I don't know where you are located, but the library is always a good place to hit up. They have a lot of printed things! I'm not being sarcastic. And university libraries have collections of actual stuff you can look at, like personal letters and things. Lots of neat things to discover there. Think of looking up old contracts for things, deeds and such. Does that sound up your alley?

I'd also go to a local printers (not a new chain place, of course) and ask them. Seriously! If you are nice, and tell them what it is you're looking for and why, they might be able to help.

I'd also say try some established newspapers because they have stuff, too, but specifically business things you're looking for...well, as the other person noted, stock certificates are cool, so you could ask at your local coin shop. They sometimes have stuff like that. Honestly, I'd just keep an eye out for garage sales because I've found tons of stationery, things like that, that way. You just have to be willing to dig through stuff.

Rubylane is also an online antiques marketplace that you might like.

e: Oh, and ask the people at the museum! :)

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
3rding the stock certificate recommendation - some of those were really impressive.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Thanks for the info

No, where I work is a historical building. The oldest part of the building was built in 1850's. It was a cigar factory. I'm looking for paperwork from there with the cigar company letterhead

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 2, 2019

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

joebuddah posted:

Thanks for the info

No, where I work is a historical building. The oldest part of the building was built in 1850's. It was a cigar factory. I'm looking for paperwork from there with the cigar company letterhead

Oh, that makes more sense! In that case, do you have any local cigar shops? Go ask them! I bet they can help you out. Good luck!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Historic tobacco/cigar paraphernalia is an oddly large market, I’d say that improves your odds. Maybe ask in the cigar thread, I think it still exists in TCC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Fish's Eddy bought the plates of an ancient out-of-business engraver, and they're selling them individually as curiosities. They won't have your specific business but they do have a bunch of interesting stuff. I think you would have to go irl to look at them.