Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I'm biting the bullet on this one cause I think we could use a thread to quarantine all of the 40k lore arguments. This is your one stop shop for every wild argument about if 40k is pro fascist, anti fascist, pro furry, anti furry, pro skub, or anti skub. Have fun and go hog wild!

I think the last argument in the fascism thread was about if there was any technological development in 40k. Canonically there is, but it's disguised as 'rediscovering' old technology, and the mechanicus don't like to share. Chaos hereteks and other rogue guys like Cawl also do active r&d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primus
May 14, 2007

Greater than the sum of his parts.
40k is so clearly pro-Skub you should be ashamed for even thinking there was a discussion to be had on that OP.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I'm biting the bullet on this one cause I think we could use a thread to quarantine all of the 40k lore arguments. This is your one stop shop for every wild argument about if 40k is pro fascist, anti fascist, pro furry, anti furry, pro skub, or anti skub. Have fun and go hog wild!

I think the last argument in the fascism thread was about if there was any technological development in 40k. Canonically there is, but it's disguised as 'rediscovering' old technology, and the mechanicus don't like to share. Chaos hereteks and other rogue guys like Cawl also do active r&d.

I want to say the Necron crypteks and Tau scientists do as well.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I liked the Ciaphas Cain books, myself.

I think with R&D you kind of have to look at, is there engineering/refinement, or is there real new basic research happening. To make an analogy with our modern computer poo poo, there is refinement/improvement of chips and if that ever reaches a plateau there is probably tons of gains to be got from optimization - and then there is inventing new principles of electronics.

I could buy that 40k basically made all the fundamental discoveries there were to make that didn't boil down to "Chaos is awesome," sort of like Star Wars did, but you'd still see refinements and poo poo.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
The Nids are always adapting, too - do new strains being generated to counter the galaxy's defenses count as (bio)technological development?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dave Brookshaw posted:

The Nids are always adapting, too - do new strains being generated to counter the galaxy's defenses count as (bio)technological development?

I posit that the nids are hardly ever adapting but Space Marines make new things all the time. Very suspicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I want to say the Necron crypteks and Tau scientists do as well.

yeah i think its just the eldar and imperium who are ostensibly declining technologically

the dark mechanicus does a lot of r&d, but theyre also all nuts, so their products tend to be one-off insane gadgets rather than production line type poo poo. they also expect to be paid so most chaos warbands can't get their poo poo.