Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
For whatever reason, I've seen a large number of missing pets in my area recently. It's enough for me to start looking into pet trackers.

I'm particularly interested in real-world reviews for pet trackers for indoor cats. The objective here is to be alerted if the cat leaves the house, then be able to track down the cat before any harm happens to the pet. Trouble is, I'm not sure what pet tracker works for this case. The GPS trackers have a reputation of being battery hogs. (with the best case being the Whistle with a 1-week battery life) and sensitive to extreme cold. The 3-month radio powered trackers have a line of site limited range, so that's not ideal either. Plus there's the idea of adding a breakaway collar to a middle-age cat who hates collars.

For those of you who use GeoFenced trackers to keep an eye on your indoor cats and retrieve them when they escape, what is your experience?

My particular situation:
I've got a new baby coming soon and expect a bunch of guests coming over to help. Trouble is, a bunch of those guests either don't understand the concept of indoor cats or respect the concept of pets. Some have left the door open for extended periods after being asked not to, and others are directly responsible for the death of previous pets. Due to the prevalence of emaciated coyotes in my area, lost pets (even large dogs) have a tendency to get killed after a couple of days of being lost. Not having to be concerned about the cat being let out while dealing with a newborn that needs to be fed every two hours and high-maintenance guests would be a huge boon.

Note: While I understand that I am worried about "just an animal," keep in mind that my pets are very precious to me. Every pet I've had so far has lived far beyond its average life expectancy, and every pet I had that died was killed when I was relying on someone else to take care of it. I am fully aware of the apparent hypocrisy of being attached to my two cats while being fine with eating a hamburger and am O.K. with that.

diadem fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Tell your guests to respect your home or get the gently caress out.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

diadem posted:

Note: While I understand that I am worried about "just an animal," keep in mind that my pets are very precious to me. Every pet I've had so far has lived far beyond its average life expectancy, and every pet I had that died was killed when I was relying on someone else to take care of it. I am fully aware of the apparent hypocrisy of being attached to my two cats while being fine with eating a hamburger and am O.K. with that.

Did this post come from outside Pet Island? I don't think you'd have to justify to us that you view your pets as more than 'just an animal'. I certainly don't look at my cats as 'just animals'.

Have you considered for just a short time having your cats boarded/kenneled while you adjust to having the baby at home and all those guests?

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I've mostly only seen them used on dogs because the feline ones (when I was looking) had a bulkier attachment for the collar which I knew my cat would hate. Plus he was a collar Houdini and would kick off his breakaway collar all the time.

If it was my cat and I didnt want them going outside I'd probably lock them in a room which guests were over. It's a tough situation especially when peoples lack of respect for your rules could lead to real harm to your animals. No justification needed as to why you find that idea abhorrent and are deeply attached to your animals.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
The only time I saw a cat GPS used was at the ER clinic I worked for and that was on a cat that was hit by a car. We used the tracker to find the owner's neighborhood and then track them down via Facebook. Obviously it didn't help the asleep owner at all.

I don't even know if they have alarms for cat doors, much less human doors with a gps collar? I do know a woman I house sit for has her garage cat door with 2 settings, one to let in and out freely and the other to only let in. I know they have those cat doors that won't let cats out depending on the collar but there's nothing stopping your cat from bolting through an open door.

I think the suggestion of boarding your cat or letting them stay with a good friend would be the safest. You could visit the cat in both scenarios. The cat probably won't love it, but hey, it'll at least be alive to be pissed off at you later.

As a side note, are you aware that these people that have trouble closing doors now will in 2-3 years time very likely be leaving a door open for your toddler to run outside? Stop that poo poo right now. They don't make electric fence collars for toddlers.