Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Episode 44

Episode 44: Yokai Country - Youtube | Polsy

So it begins! The time of peace promised by the pages of history has yet to arrive, and William returns to Japan to find answers to the visions he saw back in the Tower of London. A great and terrible conflict is coming to Japan, one that threatens the life of Hattori Hanzo. But do these visions speak of the Tohoku Region, where the Date Clan of Oshu looms large with the figure of the man known as the One-Eyed Dragon?

Characters

Senji Muramasa
Entry 2: Acquire 10 Patronage Points
Entry 3: Acquire 15 Patronage Points

Date Masamune – The head of the Date Clan is a man who is both peerless warrior and consummate leader, burning with an ambition to see his people ascendant and rulers of Japan. Known as the One-Eyed Dragon for his fearsome prowess and countenance, his mere presence ensures that the Sengoku Era has not ended at Sekigahara.
Entry 1: Begin “Dragon of the North”

Date Shigezane – One of the three great pillars of the Date Clan, retainers that have served Date Masamune throughout his stewardship of Oshu to ensure its prosperity. Shigezane is a warrior that earned the title of “Demon” through his ferocity in combat, but his use of Amrita has corrupted him to make it far more literal.
Entry 1: Clear “Yokai Country”

Maria – Within the court of Date Masamune is a woman who hails from Spain, a nation that challenges England for supremacy as a global empire. As John Dee's abuse of Amrita collected from Japan helped destroy Spain's previously invincible fleet, does this mysterious figure seek that same power?
Entry 1: Begin “Dragon of the North”

Amrita Memories

People

Valor in Loyalty from “Yokai Country”

Background

Yokai-Infested Lands from “Yokai Country”
Demons in the Deep Mountains from “Yokai Country”

Yokai

Namahage – While many Yokai as regarded as outright malicious creatures, the Namahage are typically seen as creatures that despise indolence. Their primary interest is in scaring the lazy into working, a task made simple by their terrifying visage.
Entry 1

Rokurokubi – A Yokai that comes into being when a human is struck by a curse, a Rokurokubi possesses an elongated and prehensile neck that swings and writhes about. It is difficult to tell is a person has such a curse till their neck extends, and there are many tales of people being unaware they are so afflicted.
Entry 1

Red Kappa – Though Kappa are often considered to be cowardly creatures, in the cold northern regions there is a type known for their larger size, red skin and aggressive demeanour.
Entry 1

Guardian Spirits

Nekomata
Bisha's Centipede

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Battle of Hitotoribashi which is mentioned in this video was a hell of a fight that you should look up just to understand some of the shenanigans that Date Clan got up to.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I tried this first mission of the DLC a short while after messing around in postgame stuff and it was smooth until the boss. It took several tries to get it down without relying on Living Weapon, but honestly, gently caress this guy sometimes.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Haha. Oh god, I had forgotten about this. PUT YO GUNS ON!

A Bystander posted:

I tried this first mission of the DLC a short while after messing around in postgame stuff and it was smooth until the boss. It took several tries to get it down without relying on Living Weapon, but honestly, gently caress this guy sometimes.

I played the PC version and attempted to go directly into the DLC after Queen's Eyes. I actually managed to struggle all the way up to Shigezane but after 10 tries I realized "gently caress it, I'll come back after I get some stuff from NG+". He's basically the beef gate of the DLC and trying to do it without at least 150 +5-ish equipment across the board is asking for massive pain.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you know i had a weird sense that you were gonna use that picture of the update

AND I WOULD HAVE IT NO OTHER WAY.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I have adored this let's play, and really enjoy the content you guys have created, I tried to play Nioh and gave up on it, so being able to see the stuff I couldn't get too was awesome. I love even more all the history stuff, because I knew nothing about Japanese history at all, so learning about all these cool people and places in the game was super rad. Since I'm caught up, I thought I'd let you know I've really been entertained by it so far!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

We appreciate it! We do our best to bring a lot to every game we play, and this particular game we’ve really been able to bring a lot. It does my heart good to know how much it is appreciated.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I remember that moment with the rabbits on stream mentioned in the latest update. Just TheLastRoboKy casually killing two in melee in under a minute like it's the most normal thing.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Luck is one of my skills.

Boba Pearl posted:

I have adored this let's play, and really enjoy the content you guys have created, I tried to play Nioh and gave up on it, so being able to see the stuff I couldn't get too was awesome. I love even more all the history stuff, because I knew nothing about Japanese history at all, so learning about all these cool people and places in the game was super rad. Since I'm caught up, I thought I'd let you know I've really been entertained by it so far!

I'm glad you've been enjoying it! I love the Sengoku Era stuff, I have no idea what put me onto it but I dive into it and learn new things every time. Nioh encouraged me to learn even more and lots of folks here and in the youtube comments have taught me some stuff I was unfamiliar with. It's a testament to the game and the setting that I have played Nioh for more than 300 hours in Nioh, and still play Nioh 2 while doing Nioh stuff but don't feel like the Nioh stuff is diminished in any way going back to it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I'll be honest, I read the title for the mission unlock as "The Turkey Demon Realm" for a moment.

Bookthief
Jan 28, 2019
I can only imagine that Mr. Dung ball has the Great poo as his Guardian spirit. Aside from that there is a yokai or two that fits the bill for him. The Akaname or Akaneburi, which apparently means filth licker or something like that. They apparently come from old bath houses or run down estates, and are relatively benign. All they do is sneak into places and lick or eat any grime/filth they encounter. Besides looking disgusting and creepy the Akaneburi are harmless. Having one show up around your place isn't a good sign, as that means there's alot of un-cared for crap. In a few stories the Akaname or Akaneburi can also be attracted to spiritual or mental foulness.

Beyond that yokai, there are apparently a lot of deities of the latrine or toilet in Japanese folklore.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Loved the LP, thank you for sharing it with us.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

edit: Jumped the gun!

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 10, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Vadoc posted:

Loved the LP, thank you for sharing it with us.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

Oh man this is not even remotely over yet, homie.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Bookthief posted:

I can only imagine that Mr. Dung ball has the Great poo as his Guardian spirit. Aside from that there is a yokai or two that fits the bill for him. The Akaname or Akaneburi, which apparently means filth licker or something like that. They apparently come from old bath houses or run down estates, and are relatively benign. All they do is sneak into places and lick or eat any grime/filth they encounter. Besides looking disgusting and creepy the Akaneburi are harmless. Having one show up around your place isn't a good sign, as that means there's alot of un-cared for crap. In a few stories the Akaname or Akaneburi can also be attracted to spiritual or mental foulness.

Beyond that yokai, there are apparently a lot of deities of the latrine or toilet in Japanese folklore.

He's definitely ascended into a level of spiritual poo you and I will never be able to understand.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdd4rBlsj2o

NG++ footage, when you have a chance to fight the Great Spirit of Poo as a superboss.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nope, don't want that spirit, take it back.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 45

Episode 45: Northern Side Quests - Youtube | Polsy

Time to dip our toes into some sidequests! And wouldn't you know it, one of them is on a completely new level! William says hi to some old friends who turn up and typically they ask him for help quelling some of the spirits and yokai that have begun to stir in this region.

Yokai

Namahage
Entry 2

Rokurokubi
Entry 2

Snowclops
Entry 2

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fuku you must be very cold please bundle up.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 46

Episode 46: The One-Eyed Dragon's Castle - Youtube | Polsy

Here we go folks, we're heading into the dragon's lair to face down Date Masamune himself. But there's plenty to fight through in order to get there, and reaching the man himself is not the end of our troubles. In fact, this may all just be the beginning.

Characters

Katakura Shigenaga – As son of Kojiro, one of the Great Pillars of the Date Clan and a legendarily wise advisor and strategist, the young and earnest Shigenaga has tremendous shoes to fill within the clan. Yet the young man is undaunted in striving to learn and excel, and the new conflicts the Date Clan finds themselves embroiled in giving him ample opportunities for both.
Entry 1: Defeat Karakura Shigenaga in “The One-Eyed Dragon's Castle”

Date Masamune
Entry 2: Clear “The One-Eyed Dragon's Castle”

Maria (Combat Outfit)
Entry 2: Clear “Spirit Stone Huntress”

Amrita Memories

People

The Young Warrior of Oshu from “The One-Eyed Dragon's Castle”
The One-Eyed Dragon from “The One-Eyed Dragon's Castle”

Background

Warring Evil Spirits from “The One-Eyed Dragon's Castle”
Foreign Exchange from “The One-Eyed Dragon's Castle”

Yokai

Namahage
Entry 3

Rokurokubi
Entry 3

Guardian Spirits

Blue Dragon

glocknar
May 17, 2017
If I had to guess at what magic Maria was using, I would say that she was using the same kind of hermetic stuff Kelly and Dee were using, only since she was more actively attempting to cut and stab Roboky in the face it seems her knowledge is likely limited to a lot of 'practical utility effects' such as magic portals, stealing poo poo, and other oddball grab bag abilities a spy would find handy with a few combat magics to give her the edge over any guards that would come grab her if her cover is blown as it is here - which makes sense because, y'know, thats what she is, as opposed to Kelly or Dee who are NEEERRRDSSS

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

That ending... from the disappointment of you clowning on One eye to the really neat fight against Maria followed up with a teaser of "Japan's greatest samurai" hell of a rollercoaster there.

I have a lot to say about Sanada Yukimura but I will wait.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Hey everyone, by now you're probably all extremely aware of things going on as they are with this site, so for the time being I won't be updating this thread further. That doesn't mean the LP is dead, not by a long shot. It will still update as normal on Youtube, so I do recommend subscribing there and using the bell for notifications because Youtube is kinda superjank like that. Like most folk we do have a Discord up you can join at https://discord.gg/8rJXRfp and whenever we do a video, a stream, or organise some multiplayer fun we do drop notifications in there.

Thanks for your understanding!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

To be completely clear: The only thing that would stop Roboky from finishing this LP at this point is the destruction of the internet or personal catastrophe. But we have been kind of talking about how SA isn't great for us for a lot of reasons for a long time now and current events are really just the catalyst for this. We have, up to this point, resisted posting our Discord around too much because it felt shilly for us to beg for everyones' personal attention after coming into a community like this, but now we kind of have to because we genuinely love you all but it's an open question on whether or not we're gonna be hanging around.

Please do join our discord! In addition to general gaming chat in a chill, open, and accepting environment and our stream/LP notifications, we have multiple gaming groups to get involved in and weekly movie and TV nights to just relax with. I have very explicitly taken the last year to design and set up our Discord as a place where everyone can just smile and enjoy themselves. Thank you, buddies!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

might want to consider moving to the LP Beach in the meantime!

https://lpbeach.co.uk/index.php

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

I will keep following you guys even if you don't keep posting here. I guess I need to figure out how to get Discord to work where it doesn't severely lag or crash my internet. Also, how are you going to handle the Characters and Memories lore parts? Are you going to keep updating the OP with them or link them in the video description on youtube?

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 25, 2020

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

cokerpilot posted:

I will keep following you guys even if you don't keep posting here. I guess I need to figure out how to get Discord to work where it doesn't severely lag or crash my internet. Also, how are you going to handle the Characters and Memories lore parts? Are you going to keep updating the OP with them or link them in the video description on youtube?

Not sure right now, they might just be a casualty of the format shift to straight up youtube, we'll see.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Whether or not you guys come back to this thread or not gently caress it I'm making this worthless post:

Blue Dragon you say?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

So hey everyone, now this site seems to be in different hands I'm kind of surprised to find that this thread still exists, so I'll be updating it to send it on to the archive this week. The actual Let's Play of Nioh finished three weeks ago so here's a list of the episodes I left off from here:

Episode 47: Northern ExposureYoutube | Polsy
Episode 48: The Siege of Osaka (Winter)Youtube | Polsy
Episode 49: Paint Chop ProYoutube | Polsy
Episode 50: Scion of VirtueYoutube | Polsy
Episode 51: Duel with FoolsYoutube | Polsy
Episode 52: The Sanada's ResolveYoutube | Polsy
Episode 53: The Loyalty of Demons, Raid on the Hirano RiverYoutube | Polsy
Episode 54: Date with DatesYoutube | Polsy
Episode 55: Friendly Faces Facing FoesYoutube | Polsy
Episode 56: The Last Samurai (Part One)Youtube | Polsy
Episode 57: The Last Samurai (Part Two)Youtube | Polsy
Episode 58: The Master Ninja Slam Dunks Me a Trillion TimesYoutube | Polsy
Episode 59: Twilight Missions and Higher DifficultiesYoutube | Polsy
Episode 60: The AbyssYoutube | Polsy
Supplemental Video (Subtitles)Youtube | Polsy

The lore pages are going to need some rejigging solely due to the fact that there's so much now they hit the character limits for everything, plus I seem to have made some errors that are going to be needing a touch up so they'll come hopefully later in the week. Thanks everyone for their patience and understanding with my decision to leave off of publishing anything here until the site changed hands.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

TheLastRoboKy posted:

So hey everyone, now this site seems to be in different hands I'm kind of surprised to find that this thread still exists, so I'll be updating it to send it on to the archive this week. The actual Let's Play of Nioh finished three weeks ago so here's a list of the episodes I left off from here:

Episode 47: Northern ExposureYoutube | Polsy
Episode 48: The Siege of Osaka (Winter)Youtube | Polsy
Episode 49: Paint Chop ProYoutube | Polsy
Episode 50: Scion of VirtueYoutube | Polsy
Episode 51: Duel with FoolsYoutube | Polsy
Episode 52: The Sanada's ResolveYoutube | Polsy
Episode 53: The Loyalty of Demons, Raid on the Hirano RiverYoutube | Polsy
Episode 54: Date with DatesYoutube | Polsy
Episode 55: Friendly Faces Facing FoesYoutube | Polsy
Episode 56: The Last Samurai (Part One)Youtube | Polsy
Episode 57: The Last Samurai (Part Two)Youtube | Polsy
Episode 58: The Master Ninja Slam Dunks Me a Trillion TimesYoutube | Polsy
Episode 59: Twilight Missions and Higher DifficultiesYoutube | Polsy
Episode 60: The AbyssYoutube | Polsy
Supplemental Video (Subtitles)Youtube | Polsy

The lore pages are going to need some rejigging solely due to the fact that there's so much now they hit the character limits for everything, plus I seem to have made some errors that are going to be needing a touch up so they'll come hopefully later in the week. Thanks everyone for their patience and understanding with my decision to leave off of publishing anything here until the site changed hands.

Totally understand given the circumstances.

Not sure if I said it in the Youtube video but thanks for the LP, entertaining from start to finish :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

And with that, the curse is officially broken.