Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

StashAugustine posted:

Hm but have you considered that actually USA #1, you have a smartphone, and you're all just whiners? Works for me, a college student from a well off family.

i don't have a smartphone, checkmate libs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:synpa:

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
At least it's a lot easier to make friends when you're poor. [citation]

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

this man is so poor he has to work 2 jobs, meaning he misses important moments in life like his son's little league games and snyping the second page

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Victory Position posted:

my mom's currently in for oral surgery because she couldn't afford to get what she needed, so it's time for a bridge

But it's the Brits who have bad teeth

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've lived as poorly as one can and still have a roof over my head. Ive never been homeless but my girlfriend has.

She was lucky enough to go into a local job training program that got her poo poo together.

I honestly should not have been able to escape my situation but i did. I'm still poor but i dont worry about the same things i used to anymore and i can only relate to some of it as a trauma experience because like certain things can happen in my life that causes full blown panic attacks because i was used to those sorts of events causing enough financial damage to mean water and electricity gets cut off or whatever.

I'm also a nutcase so it's not guaranteed to gently caress you up but my major complaint about poverty now is that. The mental damage i keep unearthing in therapy and stuff.

Poverty is a really bad place to be y'all

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lastgirl posted:

like who the fk isn't?

the average american has 40k in debt according to a 2 year old census

only 23% are debt free. The next census in 2020 should be fun once Trump deports all the poors for not being sufficient patriots and the percentage of debt free americans somehow climb~

consumer debt and student loan debt is deepening, super awesome and latest total debt of the US is 14 trillion :thumbsup:

i practically only get 60 dollars to my name a month after paying bills and rationing food and paying off student loans, barely and that 60 dollars don't make it to the end of the month because of gas and other unforeseen things. Awesome.

but hey, number go up. JOBS JOBS JOBS.

is it true you're actually really rich just pretending to be poor

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Relin posted:

this is making the rounds, and aside from a bit of women bashing it could be indicative of future problems. i know in japan some surveys have shown women's expectations for marriage partner income tend to be way above what the average person man makes, and you can see how well that (and many other factors, mostly patriarchal) is working out for their birthrates. higher numbers of sexless/lacking (and research shows most loving is done under wedlock) men is not gonna be great for suppressing populism. thanks late-stage capitalism!

https://nypost.com/2019/09/06/broke-men-are-hurting-american-womens-marriage-prospects/

that article is complete garbage (as expected of the NY Post) and the study it's based on is reaching real loving hard for most of its conclusions

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/truthdig/status/1183769017179348992?s=21

yeah, we’re hosed.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Chris hedges owns, and we are hosed.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rich people just don't understand what it's like to live in a world where stores are a montage of stuff you can't have, advertisements mocking your very existence for not being able to afford the wondrous things they're talking about.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

super sweet best pal posted:

Rich people just don't understand what it's like to live in a world where stores are a montage of stuff you can't have, advertisements mocking your very existence for not being able to afford the wondrous things they're talking about.
The funny thing is if you stop being poor, the advertisements just become a montage of stuff you don't actually want, mocking all of existence, not just yours.

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Hm but have you considered that actually USA #1, you have a smartphone, and you're all just whiners? Works for me, a college student from a well off family.

you say you are struggling yet there is 1/3 of an avocado rotting in your fridge. curious!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im a debt free poor if you dont count the dentist bill i just got that my dads insurance only covered a little of. its not a debt in the 'bill collectors hunting me down' sense so i guess im fine.

i do have an old military star card thats not paid off and a repossessed car im just never paying the balance on, but if you ask me if i get no mail and no calls its not a real debt. pay no attention to me getting my cellphone contract canceled by verizon like 3 times and also moving across the state twice.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
He come to me with money in his hand
He offered me, I didn't ask him
I wasn't knocking someone's door down, I was running from that
When I got out, I was in that
I was already through that, I had that
I had the studio, I went to the studio
I went to Vox Studios. I had it all, and I looked at it and said, 'This is a bigger jail than I just got out of.'
I don't want to take my time going to work
I got a motorcycle and a sleeping bag
And ten or fifteen girls
What the hell I wanna go off into -- and go to work for?
Work for what, money? I got all the money in the world
I'm the king, man
I run the underworld, guy
I decide whos does what and where they do it at
What am I, gonna run around and act like I'm some teenybopper somewhere, for somebody else's money?
I make the money, man, I roll the nickels
The game is mine
I deal the cards
(Beware, God is watching)

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvBTgrtIKiw

Sam Seder does a good breakdown detailing how billionaires have made life a living hell for everyone but them over the last 40 years, and how labor now pays more in taxes than corporations, investors, and CEOs aka fascism.

Show it to your centrist friends.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

Its poo poo to be poor (sung to the tune of "Hip to be Square" by huey louis and the news)

Lucky Greedo
Feb 14, 2012

At last, he held the throat of his beater.
my buddy's ancient uninsurable home got blasted by hurricane michael last year and they lost the windows and a bed to flood damage so a year later she and her mum are still sleeping in the one remaining bed in shifts with no central heating or ac because fema ruled the hurricane damage to have been pre-existing and they can't afford to repair any of it :911:

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
nobody is actually poor, because they have cell phone,

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lastgirl posted:

like who the fk isn't?

the average american has 40k in debt according to a 2 year old census

only 23% are debt free. The next census in 2020 should be fun once Trump deports all the poors for not being sufficient patriots and the percentage of debt free americans somehow climb~

consumer debt and student loan debt is deepening, super awesome and latest total debt of the US is 14 trillion :thumbsup:

i practically only get 60 dollars to my name a month after paying bills and rationing food and paying off student loans, barely and that 60 dollars don't make it to the end of the month because of gas and other unforeseen things. Awesome.

but hey, number go up. JOBS JOBS JOBS.

does the 40k number include mortgages?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Rodatose posted:

nobody is actually poor, because they have cell phone,

how is housing shown as lower on this, rent must be higher

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

really queer Christmas posted:

So the thread on american poverty had a good idea but the thread itself turned into utter loving poo poo. Let's start again without the lovely drama.

The United States of America (death come to it swiftly) is the richest country in the world and may be the richest entity the human race has ever seen. Despite this: 30K people die from lack of health insurance, 1/6 of american children will go without a meal today, 12% of all americans will experience "food insecurity", 25% of americans don't have dental insurance (much less can afford to go to a dentist), and over a half million people are estimated to be homeless.

These are loving stark numbers for a country that gives 8 yachts to the woman who's supposed to run the federal education department. Poverty exists in every nation, and some nations do experience things worse than in america. But what makes the scale in america so terrible is how the resources easily exist to fix all of these issues within a year or two of community actions. This doesn't happen because that would be communist so people need to die to learn a lesson about being born poor.

Here's some poo poo about the situation:

https://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=22533&LangID=E

talk about your own experiences, post pictures (of which there's so goddamn much), and otherwise talk about how we got here (capitalism) and how we get out of this situation (:thermidor:).

pretty sure that one county in northwest arkansas got skewed out of the purple just by the waltons

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Jeep posted:

It's easier to get loans currently because the subprime concept has been rebranded as nonprime. I'm serious

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Doctor Jeep posted:

that's up to 2014, and housing was still in a trough from the crash though starting to rebound.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

really queer Christmas posted:

Chris hedges owns, and we are hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lucky Greedo posted:

my buddy's ancient uninsurable home got blasted by hurricane michael last year and they lost the windows and a bed to flood damage so a year later she and her mum are still sleeping in the one remaining bed in shifts with no central heating or ac because fema ruled the hurricane damage to have been pre-existing and they can't afford to repair any of it :911:

In fascist America, hurricanes buy you!