Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

You guys aren't acting like 80% of ICE wouldn't quit when they found out they weren't allowed to abuse immigrants anymore

that's fine.

In fact that's the goal.

You don't want to mass fire thousands of idiots who are surely personally armed and equipped with some grievance, bullshit though it may be.

You want to slowly suck the life out of them by transferring them to idaho and have them licking stamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah but the point isn't just getting rid of the agency, it's also holding every single person in the agency accountable for their active involvement in a genocidal project.

Letting them shuffle off to sign up with the local police force or whatever isn't exactly a positive alternative.

Didn't say they were going to be immune to prosecution. But I highly doubt it would ever be as widespread or as punishing as anyone would hope.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Vox Nihili posted:

I spent about ten minutes digging through YangGang land and holy poo poo, they live in a terrifying and bizarre alternate reality. The less said the better.

About the same as r/The_Donald or something hilariously further beyond?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Yang Gang thinks this is a good idea

https://twitter.com/amandakhurley/status/1222886197502062592?s=21

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah but the point isn't just getting rid of the agency, it's also holding every single person in the agency accountable for their active involvement in a genocidal project.

Letting them shuffle off to sign up with the local police force or whatever isn't exactly a positive alternative.

let's not kid ourselves, that's what's going to happen. Every member of ICE belongs in jail but the best realistic outcome we're going to get is ICE disbanded, the camps shut down, a more compassionate immigration system put in it's place, and the former ICE agents retiring, going into the public sector, or getting shuffled to another agency. We're not getting mass arrests, we're not getting a truth and reconciliation committee, we're not getting justice for the people raped, murdered, kidnapped, tortured, in our concentration camps. It's going to end up like residential Schools. A monstrous crime against humanity committed by the US government that was eventually stopped but nobody went to jail and most people don't even learn about in school decades later.

And that is actually a positive alternative. Stopping the crimes that are going on now and dismantling the system that perpetuated those crimes is absolutely better than letting the crimes go on.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

let's not kid ourselves, that's what's going to happen. Every member of ICE belongs in jail but the best realistic outcome we're going to get is ICE disbanded, the camps shut down, a more compassionate immigration system put in it's place, and the former ICE agents retiring, going into the public sector, or getting shuffled to another agency. We're not getting mass arrests, we're not getting a truth and reconciliation committee, we're not getting justice for the people raped, murdered, kidnapped, tortured, in our concentration camps. It's going to end up like residential Schools. A monstrous crime against humanity committed by the US government that was eventually stopped but nobody went to jail and most people don't even learn about in school decades later.

And that is actually a positive alternative. Stopping the crimes that are going on now and dismantling the system that perpetuated those crimes is absolutely better than letting the crimes go on.

I'm willing to wager that they at least put a couple of the higher-ups on trial just to make an example of them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Wut?

No, concentration camp guard unions organize for the purpose of oppression.

Edit: You do realize I was the first person to suggest firing all of ICE as a workaround to being unable to dismantle it without congressional approval, right?

no, your post I responded to read as you being against dismantling ICE

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

snorch posted:

I'm willing to wager that they at least put a couple of the higher-ups on trial just to make an example of them.

I'd wager the opposite. If anyone goes to jail for it it'll be some low level people who committed specific abuses above and beyond the standard level of horror. And like, videotaped themselves doing it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This isn't a bad idea, but instead of destroying old buildings they should be repurposed, and instead of calling it that call it literally anything else.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Okay- first off, don't adopt that loving language with us.

We are not "liberals" and you are not lefter than we are because we understand the difference between a lawless president and a president who operates under the framework that they are attempting to uphold and maintain. You don't bring about a dramatic leftward shift in the country, a shift for "bigger government", and immediately start playing legal calvinball like that.

I mean, just from the outset- he'd be hammered by a Supreme Court lawsuit that he'd undoubtedly lose. Now before you say "what about court packing-" that IS within the rules of the game. Congress has the power to pack the courts if they want. A president does not have the power to unilaterally dissolve an agency, and that precedent shouldn't be set.

At this point I'm fairly certain you're either a gimmick poster or a concern troll or exactly the kind of "activist" that Bernie Sanders doesn't need. Go participate in some real antifa poo poo if that will make you feel accomplished but accusing us of being fascist sympathizers is horseshit that will accomplish nothing for you.

There is no inherent value to being "fair/lawful" or whatever. You can carve out exceptions for harmful groups and people.

edit: Put another way, "consistency/lawfulness" is only useful when it helps you accomplish your goals or where violating it will be a net harm. It's similar to the topic of "free speech" - we carve out exceptions because certain forms of speech cause enough harm that it's not worth allowing them out of some misguided sense of fairness/principles.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 31, 2020

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

This isn't a bad idea, but instead of destroying old buildings they should be repurposed, and instead of calling it that call it literally anything else.

Sending the Army in to tear down poor people’s houses, what could go wrong?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

You’re not the only one, apparently, so I guess I should explain.

I was deriding the fact that some people’s definition of human rights can be signed away in a contract. That, somehow, ICE agents shouldn’t be fired because they were entitled to organized employment for the purpose of committing crimes against humanity. The fact that this inherent right could be discounted by a loving employment agreement demonstrates the extreme weakness of that argument.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm losing my mind imagining an army government home renovators descending on a town like locusts and doing HGTV poo poo for every house, leaving puzzled citizens with a lot of questions and even more white shiplap walls.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
LOL
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1223076955903479808

Author is of course a Republican

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Yeah, I read it the same as this guy:

Bottom Liner posted:

Carry on, I reckon.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

quote:

The Commander of the Legion would have the ability to overrule local regulations and ordinances to ensure that projects are started and completed promptly and effectively.

Yang must be angling for a VP nod from Pete because this sounds like the kind of thing he'd do in a heartbeat if he were still mayor.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

overmind2000 posted:

About the same as r/The_Donald or something hilariously further beyond?

Similar to the_donald but more bot-like and single-minded. Also they almost universally seem to have no idea that 1) Yang has almost no shot of winning the primary and 2) getting a massive UBI program enacted is insanely hard under the best of circumstances. They think Republicans are going to be on board with passing UBI, for example.

Like, the T_D folks were prepared with an array of bizarre and evil conspiracy theories for Trump's "inevitable" defeat, but the YangGangers really just believe in their hearts that they are going to win outright, and will like and retweet such sentiment to the moon 600 times a day. It's wild.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

Similar to the_donald but more bot-like and single-minded. Also they almost universally seem to have no idea that 1) Yang has almost no shot of winning the primary and 2) getting a massive UBI program enacted is insanely hard under the best of circumstances. They think Republicans are going to be on board with passing UBI, for example.

Like, the T_D folks were prepared with an array of bizarre and evil conspiracy theories for Trump's "inevitable" defeat, but the YangGangers really just believe in their hearts that they are going to win outright, and will like and retweet such sentiment to the moon 600 times a day. It's wild.

So, you'd say they're not very good at MATH?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ytlaya posted:

There is no inherent value to being "fair/lawful" or whatever. You can carve out exceptions for harmful groups and people.

edit: Put another way, "consistency/lawfulness" is only useful when it helps you accomplish your goals or where violating it will be a net harm. It's similar to the topic of "free speech" - we carve out exceptions because certain forms of speech cause enough harm that it's not worth allowing them out of some misguided sense of fairness/principles.

Yeah, y’all are right actually. I initially misinterpreted some of the rhetoric as being openly purge-y and violent. Like “morally, they should be gulaged (or worse), but we’ll settle for eliminating the dept instead.”

I agree that there probably isn’t a redeeming argument to be had about anyone who’s worked for ICE. It’s a racist and fascistic apparatus with a mission totally at odds with my values and the reality facing down the world as climate change gets worse. Same thing with prison guards, really. You could get a lovely low-paying job doing anything else but at least here you get to be a professional sadist.

I really don’t think that the optics would be that bad. Certainly no worse than any bullshit stunt the GOP’s tried to pull. And ICE is pretty drat unpopular for good reason.

Like, Fox and Ted Cruz could whine about overreach and security and paying jobs but I’m p sure most Americans would be like “aww what a shame. Guess you’re gonna have to find a new job :)

Like, I’ve been fired and laid off and switched careers enough times in 12 years of working that “all those poor ICE workers would be laid off” doesn’t really begin to tickle my sympathy hairs.

Ultimately we’ve spent 250 years slow walking human rights for black people in this country in the name of “doing things lawfully” and that’s basically just created one environment of atrocity after another.

I retract and reverse my previous statement.

But everyone do please be careful and mind your language so as to keep the coppers from Lowtax’s door. I’m sure that if they tried to pin him for whatever reason his poor spine would disintegrate.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Separating these two thematically from my previous post.

FizFashizzle posted:

As long as they aren’t turned into open-plan offices or lovely cookie-cutter exposed brick “breweries” for the world’s most tiresome white millennials to eat “kimchi tots” at like every old building in my area.

Bushido Brown posted:

So, you'd say they're not very good at MATH?

The yang gang’s relationship with math is basically the Star Trek: Discovery take on math, or really anything ~stem~.

A bunch of people who don’t know anything about anything going

:pcgaming: “gently caress yeah, now that’s what I call math!” :pcgaming:

like it means something.

“Keep up nerd! I do math and I like to gently caress!” :slick::widowsnypa:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yang probably likes Discovery and thinks tng is too boring.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Gonna close this thread in a few minutes and create a new one to usher in primary season. Just a heads-up, so no one loses any long posts when it gets locked.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yang's MATH stands for Make America Think Harder.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Gonna close this thread in a few minutes and create a new one to usher in primary season. Just a heads-up, so no one loses any long posts when it gets locked.

Dumb q- but you mean long posts they’re actively working on, right?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Dumb q- but you mean long posts they’re actively working on, right?

Yeah. It always sucks when you're working on a long post and finally hit the post button, only to discover that the thread's suddenly closed and your post was lost forever! That's the kind of lost posts I'm talking about.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Vox Nihili posted:

Nothing wrong with staying positive but I'll see them on twitter getting really excited that Yang hit 5% nationally and what this trend means for his chances in Iowa... next week... and I start to feel a little sad for them. Some of them are going to be crushed once the voting starts.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah. It always sucks when you're working on a long post and finally hit the post button, only to discover that the thread's suddenly closed and your post was lost forever! That's the kind of lost posts I'm talking about.

why not wait for Monday since the thread is going to explode then anyways?
Like when the old threads closed with debates.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Nothing wrong with staying positive but I'll see them on twitter getting really excited that Yang hit 5% nationally and what this trend means for his chances in Iowa... next week... and I start to feel a little sad for them. Some of them are going to be crushed once the voting starts.

I asked a Yang supporter true believer how he thinks Yang will win Iowa, let alone hit the 15% threshold, and his answer is that the polls are all wrong and wildly undersampling the tech-aware youth vote (who of course will all show up to caucus for Yang)

the Yang Gang lives in an alternate reality where Twitter signal boosting === caucus and primary results and I'm afraid what will happen to them when he drops out with 0 delegates. maybe the smart ones will go to Bernie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

why not wait for Monday since the thread is going to explode then anyways?
Like when the old threads closed with debates.

Starting it now gives people a couple days to post normally before the primary results roll in and everyone cracks open their brain spiders. Also, I'm hardly ever at my computer lately so it's tough to time thread creation (something I can't really do from a phone) with any degree of precision. I meant to do this on Tuesday, actually.

Anyhow, new thread!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912894