Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I've been interested in seeing this game played for a while, so I'll still be here once RL stops getting in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

UPDATE

Roy and I recorded a bit more commentary this week, and I just need to find some time to edit it together. I also need to track down the rest of the documents I missed when I was recording my footage.

Once I've built up a decent enough backlog (this LP is only eight videos long, but unfortunately as my first really serious attempt at this I've been very disorganized) I'll start posting again.

Hopefully, my next LP won't be this clumsy to put together. Hopefully.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Oh hey, don't beat yourself up over a brief delay. It's not Youtube where regularity is everything. Here, people just bookmark a thread and watch updates as they come. I enjoy seeing a game I'd not seen before and appreciate the work you've put into the editing. It's more fun watching an LP you enjoy making instead of having it on a strict schedule so it becomes a chore.

It's quite funny how some of the cool advances in gaming is sometimes made by games remembered for being terrible in most or all respects except for a cool tech. Aside from Hydrophobia's water technology, another elemental example that comes to mind is Alone in the Dark's fire engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG69Z0miXmU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Still editing, but in the meantime, here are the Journals and Documents from Video 3:

Journals

Documents

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kate takes the fight to the Malthusians and Scoot makes some terrible puns in this episode of Hydrophobia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAaOuiNOe6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOOtKO5-G1Y

Journals

Documents

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 24, 2019

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Stupid question but what's the difference between the cut and uncut videos? I'm asking because both are the same length...

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Probably referring to the commentary, ie cut means you don't get their chatter over in-game cutscenes/dialogue.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Probably referring to the commentary, ie cut means you don't get their chatter over in-game cutscenes/dialogue.

Exactly.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It certainly seems like someone tried to spruce up the story to keep it a bit grounded; like they added references to Malthus and whatnot. I dunno if this will pan out or count though, if your plan could be thought up by Albert Wesker maybe layering on philosophy references will just make things pretentious.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

We wrap up Act 2 in this week's episode, and finally answer the burning question: exactly how are the Malthusians planning to wipe out 95% of the Earth's population? The answer makes no sense, and is hilarious.

Uncut Commentary (where we talk over cutscenes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4w5N4wjgTs

Cut Commentary (no talking over cutscenes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtOOaFFLrmg

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Looks like Kate has an unfortunate case of the magics.

Tech was demonstrated to be lethal on a thug, and now same tech has made her half glowy but not dead, with a high likelihood of super-human powers.

Very annoying when your science suddenly works differently for no discernible reason.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kacie posted:

with a high likelihood of super-human powers.

Oh you are going to love video 7.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"Scoot, I'm radioactive now. That can't be good."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SSNeoman posted:

"Scoot, I'm radioactive now. That can't be good."

That or her x gene just activated in response to stress. Hope she got a good power out of it.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

It's time to end this...well, the Xbox Live Arcade version, that is. We have two more videos after this - one for the last few levels added on to the Prophecy remake, and another for some extras and a few things I missed.

I have been hyping up the XBLA version's ending for ages now, and it will not disappoint. Enjoy(?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCVP0Ck5im0

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So they were planning to pull a Bi-art.

Okay that's not fair, this game looks a lot better than say Deep Black.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Was it something in the water during this time frame where everyone was coming out with these grand ideas for Trilogies of Games, yet crashing and burning getting out the door? This game, Too Human, Advent Rising....

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Okay that's not fair, this game looks a lot better than say Deep Black.

I've never heard of that game, but a look at the Steam page suggests it might be the kind of crappy title I'd really enjoy. I really dig games that almost work, that come so close to fulfilling lofty ambitions, which might be why I have such a soft spot for Hydrophobia.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

theenglishman posted:

I've never heard of that game, but a look at the Steam page suggests it might be the kind of crappy title I'd really enjoy. I really dig games that almost work, that come so close to fulfilling lofty ambitions, which might be why I have such a soft spot for Hydrophobia.

Oh no please don't. It's a worse game than Hydrophobia in every way. The difficulty is terrible, the levels and combat are uninspired and the story makes absolutely no sense. Like Hydrophobia does stuff with its water; like you can use it to drown enemies, wash them into hazards and whatnot, Deep Black doesn't.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Oh no please don't. It's a worse game than Hydrophobia in every way. The difficulty is terrible, the levels and combat are uninspired and the story makes absolutely no sense. Like Hydrophobia does stuff with its water; like you can use it to drown enemies, wash them into hazards and whatnot, Deep Black doesn't.

Alright, thanks for the warning. I'm on the lookout for the quirky and janky, but by your description it sounds like Deep Black is more irritating than anything. Plus it's still (checks Steam page) $30, are you kidding me?!

By comparison, Hydrophobia Prophecy currently retails for $5, and when I got it, it was on sale for 50 cents.

Also, a quick update for you all: the last two videos of this LP will be going up together. Prophecy's ending is pretty short, so there will be one video for the final Prophecy level, and another with a few extras and stuff I missed.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 12, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

theenglishman posted:

It's time to end this.
Oh my god, that ending is incredible. How do you even write an ending that bad? You'd save Scoot and discover the much bigger threat that you have to stop in part two. That's the obvious way to do it. If you want to go a little less obvious, you'd fail to save Scoot and you get your revenge in part two. Under no circumstances do you just stop like you were writing to an incredibly strict deadline and ran out of time mid-sentence.

Also, having played Prophecy, I'm kind of surprised that the thing isn't even in the original. I did wonder when I played it why you only got it right at the end, and knowing now that it's not even in the original version just makes me wonder why they bothered to add it if they weren't going to introduce it earlier on.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Also, having played Prophecy, I'm kind of surprised that the thing isn't even in the original.

Oh it's even worse than that. The big thing that you know is coming next video was in all the marketing for the XBLA version. Go look at some of the E3 trailers (which we'll be looking at in the extras video) and you'll see that in every one they show off that thing at the end. The unlockable challenge room from Prophecy is in the XBLA version, and it's the only time you get to use THE THING; it's completely absent from the single-player campaign.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

As promised, the two-parter finale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_jeks23mhg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tos0PT7tOg4

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I like the monitor in the background showing SARA's status. That's a nice touch. I guess people really didn't get how to fight the boss hence the pop-up in the beginning? IDK.

And well hey, if you want more awkward but interesting underwater gameplay, there's always...uhhhhhhhh...Guild Wars 2? ...Warframe?

EDIT: actually warframe might appeal to you since DE has a similar history to Dark Energy except they managed to find success.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 14, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I very much doubt it was anybody's first choice but it is pretty funny that the big cliffhanger for the original release is "But what happened to Scoot?"

My brain must have inserted a lot more gameplay between getting water magic and the final boss because even with the added section that's still pretty abrupt. I remember the ship giving way to clean white labs but before today I could have sworn there was at least most of a proper level before the boss.

Still, like you say, the game at the very least could be a case study of so much of game development. Independent studios trying to make it on their own, developing impressive technology that may not actually be needed or wanted, relationship to industry critics, responding to and implementing feedback. A middling game was the result but there's a story in the background somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Thank you everyone for joining me on this wet, watery, and fun journey! I’m going to update the OP when I get a chance, and then I can get started on my next project. I apologize that I wasn’t able to finish updating all of the objects and lore; at some point I got really burnt out replaying Prophecy and just wanted to finish the main videos.

Overall though, I’m really happy with how this LP turned out, and thank you for sticking with me to the end!