Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

So the PocketCasts app - android, ios and web - was awesome. They advertised as having a "one time fee" for each evolution of their stuff, and it was honestly such an amazing podcast app.

Now they are transitioning to a subscription service for their web app. For a pocast thing.

So I want to know, what podcast app do you use, and which is the best?

Edit: Please disregard this post. Turns out after the outcry they've reversed their decision for people who made purchases when they advertised it as a "one time fee." =)

https://blog.pocketcasts.com/we-heard-you/

Lor fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Stitcher is pretty easily the best I've used.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i use podcastaddict, it's the only one i've ever tried and i've never really had a complaint about it, so therefore it's the best

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
^:same: except for Overcast. For comparison, it had a bug where being online made the app crash for janky older ipods/iphones like mine for the last month. I felt that it was still better to constantly flip my wi-fi on and off than to deal with the basic podcast app or PodBean.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

For context - PocketCasts was super good for having both a Desktop/web app, and an Android/iOS(mobile) app, and they all sync'd up to each other across one account, which was cool.

The problem is they billed all of those as a "one-off" purchase price individually, for eternity, which I gladly paid - And was awesome!.

Now the Desktop/web app (the one I use the most) is going to cost a dollar a month, which as small as it sounds, I cannot justify paying for a podcatcher app, with no actual content of its own.

So I know I might be looking for something that doesn't exist, but I'm mainly looking for something which has an Android app, and a web-version, which sync across accounts.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Stitcher is pretty easily the best I've used.

I will give it a second try, but honestly, every time I've used the Stitcher Web version, it just seems so horrendously unintuitive and... not good... even for their premium stuff! I end up using Unofficial Stitcher RSS's in something else rather than using their site. =(

little munchkin posted:

i use podcastaddict, it's the only one i've ever tried and i've never really had a complaint about it, so therefore it's the best

I actually just installed this and will check it out! Thank you buddy - - only problem for me will be that they don't seem to havea desktop/web version.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

^same except for Overcast. For comparison, it had a bug where being online made the app crash for janky older ipods/iphones like mine for the last month. I felt that it was still better to constantly flip my wi-fi on and off than to deal with the basic podcast app or PodBean.

Holy poo poo, in looking into whether Overcast had a web-player I found a tweet where they admitted, on their official twitter account, that theirs sucks and has for a while. Which is ... kind of awesome - - doesn't help me, but I love that their aware of it and (hopefully?) plan to change it in the future. Can't use it now but by the gods I will keep them on my radar. =D

https://twitter.com/overcastfm/status/1102695684854202369

Edit: Please disregard this thread - see OP.

Lor fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 19, 2019