Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i legitimately think it looks like a fun good game. that has a lot to do, though, with the fact that its filled with characters and settings that i deeply enjoy. if it was the same game with just some random orcs and goblins or whatever, i probably wouldn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ShoogaSlim posted:

i legitimately think it looks like a fun good game. that has a lot to do, though, with the fact that its filled with characters and settings that i deeply enjoy. if it was the same game with just some random orcs and goblins or whatever, i probably wouldn't care.

The thing is, that's what the game looks like. Just South Park IP plastered onto some dumb game. It doesn't actually look like it has anything to do with South Park.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Well sure, other than the fact that it clearly takes place within and contains characters from South Park.

I don't know gently caress about poo poo when it comes to games like that so I can't say I know for sure if there's another game it looks or plays exactly like.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ShoogaSlim posted:

Yea, all the previews seem pretty good game to me and really good fun for a $30 game. I haven't preordered the game though cause of their classic line from the console wars... "You know what you get when you preorder a game, a big dick in your mouth"

Although I might not have much time to play in the spring / summer, I am pretty sure I'll pick the game up on launch day, seems pretty fun for $30. If it was $60, I'd probably pass and wait for a sale though.

There's no such thing as a new game with entirely unique gameplay anymore, that's just a dumb argument. Every game is taking mechanics from others these days. Although I don't know of any games designed to be 4 player coop as the core design, even though it's the one thing I'm apprehensive about.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 9, 2024

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

ok so i'm at work and won't be able to play it until later but apparently the south park game is a big lovely flop lol

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

ok so i'm at work and won't be able to play it until later but apparently the south park game is a big lovely flop lol

Shocking nobody.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

It looked like absolute poo poo. If nothing else South Park translates really badly to 3D. But why abandon the successful formula of the last two, highly praised games for a generic shooter with pseudo-rogue like mechanics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Quote-Unquote posted:

It looked like absolute poo poo. If nothing else South Park translates really badly to 3D. But why abandon the successful formula of the last two, highly praised games for a generic shooter with pseudo-rogue like mechanics?

i actually really enjoy getting to explore the town in 3D, it provides an interesting perspective not really explored before anywhere outside of the show's new(ish) opening. the problem, though, is they use the "snow day" theme to artificially cutoff access to places you wanna go because of obligatory walls of snow.

the reason they abandoned the formula from the previous two games is basically bc they can't continuously monetize those formulas like they can with this roguelike looter shooter style game. in the intro, cartman talks about how the "new kid" player character got too OP in both previous games, screwing up the balance and necessitating a reset. in this game, there's no way to become OP bc it's all RNG perks during levels or whatever. it might add replayability and keep things interesting for anyone looking for something to just switch on and turn their brain off, but it will eventually get old just like all games of this type do.

nothing about the game is particularly "bad" except for maybe the most important aspect: gameplay/combat. it's so floaty and imprecise. when you attack enemies (kindergartners, in the beginning) they make the most lackluster "ouch" or "you got me! 😐" voices ever, like everyone in the sound booth just got back from lunch and were ready for a nap. the way the audio is mixed in is loving awful, too. either too loud and doesn't blend well with the in-world audio (barely any) or it gets weirdly cut out and doesn't know what direction it's supposed to be coming from. your attacks feel like you're swiping at air even when you're landing hits and it's hard to tell if you're connecting or who you're supposed to be targeting. it's overall kind of a mess and makes any of the actually interesting/fun aspects of the game hard to care about (you get randomized powerup perk cards with illustrations that match the vibe of the show with some deep cuts and funny gags which are charming and what fans would be looking for in a game about the property).

if they can patch some of the lovely combat mechanics it would be worth dicking around the game world just to get the occasional interactive south park fix, but right now it's pretty half baked.