Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hello Everyone, my name is BigRed0427. I'm 32 years old and just this year I moved out of my parents house for the first time and bought a house with my girlfriend.

It's a duplex. Were on the right side.

It's a big place for the two of us plus our roommate so we each got our own room. Well...every room in this house looks like it was last updated int he 1970s, complete with shag carpeting in every room int he house. Including the bathroom and kitchen. It's a old house too, built int he late 1800s I think. A lot of work is going to have to be done to this place just to make it not look old. So, what better place to start than my room! That's what this thread is going to be, me turning my crappy bedroom into something I can look at and not go "Ugh. Why" The reason I am making this a thread is because I originally posted this in the Interior design thread and people were suggesting this was worthy of it's own thread.

THE IDEA!

So for my bedroom, I want to design a room that looks like a fairy tale witch's cabin, or a modern witch look. So a more rustic look that has just a hit of the supernatural to it. Here of some photos that I found that have given me ideas about what to do with this place.

Something along these lines are what I want to aim for with my room. I love the use of the twinkle lights, the wrought Iron furniture and decor, the vintage wood and lights, the use of vines and plant life. I love it. All of it.

WHAT WE HAVE TO WORK WITH

So here is my room now as it stands.

So the three big projects I want to tackle here are 1: Tear up the carpeting and clean the hardwood floors underneath. 2: Get everything sticking out of the walls, patch them up, then paint. 3: Tear down the drop ceiling. Probably in that order.

THE CARPET
So the carpet, as you can see in the pics above, looks like it's an old shag carpet that has long since been matted down over the years. It doesn't even look like it was stapled down or whatever either. Look. Also, there is this...second thing between he carpet and the floor itself.

So yeah, both of those are going to go. give the floors a good wash. If needed we could also sand them down and restain them.

THE WALLS
The walls are this ugly while/faded blue color. Scratch that, EVERYTHING is that color from the door, to the window shutters, the the door frame to the metal grate that covers the heating vent. just...WHY!?

There is a lot of stuff like this int he walls that are gonna have to come out and patched over. I already got a lot of it out but this nail and a few more screws need to come out.

Heres the base board and part of the door frame. Like I said, same color of the walls. When i do paint I was thinking of having these as a deep brown color. Making them look like wood accents to the room along with white walls. My worry though is that the paint that is on these parts might already be a bit thick, so another coat of paint is going to look horrid.

I tore one of these old hooks that were blued to the wall, so I think you can see the actual layers on the wall here. It doesn't look like a lot so I think a fresh coat over them should be fine. I'm just hoping the crack here doesn't show through after the paint.

THE DROP CEILING
Ok, I understand that in the 60s/70s Drop ceilings were used in larger homes so as to cut down the heating costs but DEAR GOD! Why did they go with the standard Accounting office style tiles. I know stylized ones existed. Tearing this poo poo down is probably not going to happen anytime soon, plus I need to figure out what to do about what's under it.

Water stains, and ceiling paper. fun. And then I also wanted to get a wall section because I noticed it was painted a different color and...uhhhh...

I'm guessing that's not good. Right? So yeah. i may need a expert on this part.

So yeah, I'm completely new to DIY stuff, home ownership stuff and all that. I'm gonna be busy this weekend but hopefully next weekend me and my roommate can clear the room out and start by tearing the carpet up. I'm, of course, open to any suggestions, criticisms, and help people can offer. I'll be sure to post when ever I make a significant update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Don't start with the floors if you plan to do the ceiling and walls. Start at the top and work down to prevent damaging your newly done stuff.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I've torn up carpet and painted/retrimmed a couple of houses, so that's where I'm coming from. Never taken out drop ceiling or dealt with ceiling paper.

First off, anything you do is gonna be complicated by the fact that you already moved in. So you're gonna have the frustration of moving everything multiple times and/or covering in plastic dropcloth.

Wear dust masks while doing everything. That carpet has broken down and is gonna get particles in the air and on everything. That second carpet that you found is, I'm pretty sure, just an older carpet padding. Those ceiling tiles are gonna have tons of settled dust if they're not already crumbling themselves. I know nothing about un-papering a ceiling. Sorry. Also, if scouring the DIY threads has taught me anything, it's that it pays to have someone else sand/refinish your floors. Pros will have the equipment to get it done quick. Try and get a quote on how much it would cost to refinish the wood floors and consider that if you DIY sand/refinish your floors, that room is gonna be outta commission for a while.

If you're thinking the trim will look lovely with another coat of paint (especially if you want it to look like dark wood), think about replacing the trim. Remove old trim, paint walls without worrying about taping off the trim, install new trim.

Whatever you plan on spending, count on spending at least 1.5x that. People are always hopeful about how little a project will cost. Also, try to do the ceiling first, then paint walls. They way you get dust and paint drips on your lovely carpet that's getting tossed anyway.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Not sure on the exact nature of your living arrangements but as per above might be worth sharing your girlfriend's room while this is getting done. It'll go much faster if there's nothing in the way.

BigRed0427 posted:

It *might* be not good, but my best guess is that whomever plastered your wall and ceiling knew the owner was going to put up coving, so they didn't bother doing a nice corner. The reason I say that is from the way the paint ends and the marks along the length I think there was coving there that got torn down when the drop ceiling went in.

Personally I'd put some new coving up and forget you ever saw it. It's quite likely that it looks the same behind your baseboards. My house certainly does.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Definitely echoing the advice to start with the ceiling and work down, would you consider just fresh drywall over the papered ceiling? Hire a drywall lift (tiny inside-your-house crane for drywall sheets) to get them up then hire someone to skim coat it before you paint.

What's the thrift store / antiques situation like near you? I guess you're going to be buying bits and pieces there to get the wrought iron touches you want.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Definitely echoing the advice to start with the ceiling and work down, would you consider just fresh drywall over the papered ceiling? Hire a drywall lift (tiny inside-your-house crane for drywall sheets) to get them up then hire someone to skim coat it before you paint.

What's the thrift store / antiques situation like near you? I guess you're going to be buying bits and pieces there to get the wrought iron touches you want.

I live maybe an hour outside Lancaster PA. I haven't really had a chance to look at any antique stores around here but I'm sure there must be some good ones. There is a massive Farmer's market I've been to once called the Green Dragon. I'll have to take a vacation day to head down there and shop around.

I have a half day of work tomorrow, maybe that's what I can go do with the rest of the day.

And someone else recommended just dry-walling over the ceiling in the Interior Decor thread. But it sounds like it will be a MAJOR project by itself that I might wanna call someone in for.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 24, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Screwing new drywall sheets over the existing roof if it's flat is ready enough, I'd get a Pro to skim coat it though.

You could always shortcut that issue with this style of ceiling treatment, just hide it behind fabric and fairy lights?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

BigRed0427 posted:

This, to me, looks like they had some sort of molding up there, got ripped out, which ripped off some of the paint and paper of the drywall.

edit: lmao, yeah, whoops, basically what Jaded Burnout said.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

So my room is officially on the back burner because the others decided to tear up the carpet in the living room and kitchen. So that's the project were working on.

So the kitchen carpet is up and this is what was under it.

It's like this black tack stuff that doesnt come off easily. They decided to just paint over it which...indent know. That sounds like a bad idea for a kitchen. Thoughs on how to make that work or how to convince them to take the time to get a belt sander and actually get the black off?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

So...what year was the house built? That looks like asbestos glue.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

1880...but the walls and carpeting and bathroom all look like they were last updated in the 1960s or 70s.

poo poo

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

JEEVES420 posted:

So...what year was the house built? That looks like asbestos glue.

Just rent a tool from home depot, close the room off, and have someone film your murder-suicide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI-8v5d3mqY

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

toplitzin posted:

Just rent a tool from home depot, close the room off, and have someone film your murder-suicide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI-8v5d3mqY

I'll pick one up from HD on my way home from the competition!

Seriously though, get that tested before you do anything.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Honestly, this modern witch's bedroom is turning out better than expected. You have ingredients to make a deadly potion right in your own kitchen!! Jack pot, OP!!!!!!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BigRed0427 posted:

1880...but the walls and carpeting and bathroom all look like they were last updated in the 1960s or 70s.

poo poo

Find an asbestos testing laboratory in your area. If there’s not one within easy driving distance you can call and see if they accept samples by mail. Take a quarter sized piece of the mastic with a screwdriver or putty knife. You don’t need to take wood, just the adhesive. Put it in a ziplock bag. Don’t bring it to the lab out in the open. You’ll have to fill out a chain of custody form. You can download one from the labs website or fill it out there. They will help you fill it out.

If it’s asbestos mastic (which it might not be),it’s really not at all harmful in Its present state. What you don’t want to do, though, is SAND IT, or try to scrape and dry sweep it, or dispose of asbestos waste in your regular trash, where unprotected workers could potentially be exposed.

Painting over it is a good option imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

thoughts and prayers (about asbestos)