Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Problem description: I have an old 2 TB Western Digital hard drive (WD20EARS-00MVWB0) and many of the folders are incomplete/inaccessible ("The Device is not ready"). There are about 300 good sectors on the disk and the rest are bad.

Attempted fixes: chkdsk, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, Disk cloning via Sabrent docking bay, DiskGenius, re-seating connections (sometimes helps when the entire drive becomes inaccessible after software messes with it - but doesn't solve the folder problems), file copying (via fast file copy).

Recent changes: Nope. The drive is just old as dirt and I was too cheap to replace it in time.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Professional 64 bit

System specs: Custom build. Hard Drive is at the top. Motherboard is ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming. All else should be irrelevant.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I have an old hard drive that needs to get taken out back and shot. I'm doing what I can to recover anything. I got some table scraps just by trying to copy off what remains, but now I'm trying to access what's in the bad sectors before giving up. Disk Genius (Trial) did a quick analysis and found about 300 good Cylinder Numbers (whatever they're called) before it hit a spot where it quickly declared the rest were bad. I'm now using it for this procedure and it's pretty much telling the same story. Been going for about 24 hours and it looks to be hitting a ton of sequential bad sectors. It's been logging this since before it hit Sector 1000000:

quote:

Read Sector Error! Disk: HD3:ASMTASM1156-PM(1863GB) From Sector: 27527168. 65536 Sector(s) Total.
Read Sector Error! Disk: HD3:ASMTASM1156-PM(1863GB) From Sector: 27527168. 65536 Sector(s) Total.
Read Sector Error! Disk: HD3:ASMTASM1156-PM(1863GB) From Sector: 27592704. 65536 Sector(s) Total.
Read Sector Error! Disk: HD3:ASMTASM1156-PM(1863GB) From Sector: 27592704. 65536 Sector(s) Total.

Prior to that I used Data Recovery Wizard (Trial) to see what it could find. It ran for about 2 weeks, with the progress bar advancing VERY slowly before it finally said "gently caress you, have a memory error" and quit.

Also tried chkdsk and the automated BIOS check kicked in plenty of time on restarts without success.

My main question is: "Does the large amount of sequential bad sectors indicate a problem with the heads? And what's the best way to gamble on fixing that?"

I've read about the "freezer trick" but I have no idea how much of an urban legend it is. And then I've read about opening 'er up but I'm pretty sure that's even more of a Hail Mary pass.

The data isn't terribly important, so I'm willing to risk letting it go. Would be nice to have though.

Any ideas/guidance? Besides what caliber to use and where to aim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Does it tell you the number of bad sectors? Because 300 good sectors doesn't sound like very much at all.

FaradayCage posted:

My main question is: "Does the large amount of sequential bad sectors indicate a problem with the heads? And what's the best way to gamble on fixing that?"

Some have had success using these recovery tools:
https://www.linux.com/tutorials/get-your-data-back-linux-based-data-recovery-tools/

FaradayCage posted:

I've read about the "freezer trick" but I have no idea how much of an urban legend it is. And then I've read about opening 'er up but I'm pretty sure that's even more of a Hail Mary pass.

People have claimed it used to work years ago but on newer HDs it doesn't and almost assuredly will worsen things.

PS In the future don't run chkdsk on a drive in this condition. If an HD starts acting odd then run https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/71535/CrystalDiskInfo8_3_0.exe/ and if there are errors then immediately start copying all important data to another drive. Running chkdsk and other tests/OS diagnostics on a drive with bad sectors can be very taxing. To use a car analogy it's like if the check engine light came on and the engine was rumbling you wouldn't want to go out on the highway going 100MPH to troubleshoot it.

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling
300 good sectors out of 65K? I think this drive has gone to the big platter in the sky.

Zogo's probably right, running something like CHKDSK will just hasten its demise. Sounds like you've already done everything humanly possible to recover the data (short of a paid recovery service). If you're prepared to let the data go, I'd say go ahead and crack the drive open. I can't imagine it would help, but it would be cool to see. I've opened tons of drives, but never powered one up afterward.

You could look for signs of a head crash if you do, see if there are any grooves gouged into the platter(s).