Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I have to update a bunch of PowerPoint presentations that are around 20mb each. Each one has a series of images that I need to get from other PPT that are also 20mb. The thing is, when I save them, they end up being above 100mb. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What version of PowerPoint are the files and what version is program your using?

Using an older version of the program to open newer files and then saving them as an older version can cause them to get very bloated.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
This happens because when you import images into PowerPoint, it converts the images to BMP in memory, then saving the presentation without the "compress images" first. Chances are you're presentation isn't re-compressing the images properly on save or your compress image setting is too high (or disabled for on-save compression) OR you are using insanely sized images to begin with and resizing down them in the presentation which means they need to be re-compressed at a lower size, but if you don't re-compress them inside the presentation, they retain the full image size for rescaling later... when you compress them, it discards unused data and resaves the images at the resized (smaller) file size.

See more here:
https://nutsandboltsspeedtraining.com/powerpoint-tutorials/powerpoint-compress-images/

You can also right-click on single images and compress just one image, the settings will do the whole presentation.