Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Well I posted in the woodworking megathread last year around this time about the cabin that I was building. It was a 100% done by myself (brother, father, mother, wife, and I project actually) and at the end of this summer we had it about 95% done and 100% liveable. This is a seasonal cabin that my wife, son and I go to every summer when school is out. We're currently living and working in Alberta, and the instant work is done in June we race back to Ontario (Manitoulin Island) and kick back and relax (actually intensive haying and working on the cabin last summer and this summer).

It's a three bedroom cabin that I designed myself. it's 48x24, with the last 8 feet on the one end being a porch that will eventually be entirely screened in to keep the mosquitoes out.

It's "board and batten" pine and cedar, so I think it will make a neat pattern as it weathers. We have lots of property with both hardwood and softwood, and a nice sawmill to make use of the pine, spruce, cedar, red oak, ash, cherry, and any other type of wood we put in this thing. The only wood we bough was the OSB we put on the outside walls and the 3/4" stuff on the floors before putting down floorboards. We opted for a metal roof because it's maintenance free and all the cedars around the cabin would play havoc with traditional shingles.

A better look at the screened in (next summer) porch. I'm planning to have a daybed and some lounge chairs in it.

Walking in through the porch there is a patio door and two windows. With the exception of the kitchen, bathroom, and picture window in the living room, all of the windows were recycled when my parents got new ones in their house two years ago. The front door was also taken from an old farmhouse, and it looked like it was never used. I'm going to take the screen out of the window on the left, so that it's easier to pass stuff out to where the daybed will eventually be. The floor is 12" pine that we cut and planed and just slapped a few coats of satin poly on. I really liked the grain, and didn't want to stain it. The walls are just rough cut (not planed) 12" pine as well. The wall on the left is whitewashed and the wall on the right is painted. It's hard to see from the pics, but the grain still makes it through. Also there are a ton of wormholes in the white pine, which I though looked neat and had all of them in the kitchen, which makes a neat pattern. There is also a spattering of drywall throughout to break up the "wood everywhere" feeling.

Looking to the right is the living room. It looks really cramped, but all it's for (besides my little guy to play with his toys in) is to sit around and talk. The floor plan that I got the idea from had the three bedrooms and bathroom being very small and cramped. I increased the size of the master bedroom, my son's room, and the bathroom so that they were more livable. The spare room, kitchen/dining room and living room suffered, but when you're at a cabin in the summer you're not going to be spending a ton of time in them.

Turning again to the right you can see more of the living room. I still have to put trim along the V-match pin ceiling and the walls (entire cabin) but that's something I'll peck away at next summer. We tried several different placement options for the sofas, but in the end we went with what made conversation most comfortable.

Turning to the extreme left is the dining room. The table looks crazy-small, but I haven't put in the leaf yet. You can see more of the "wormy" pine on the walls, and a wine bottle & glass holder with some drawers behind it. I still have to put some trim around the windows, and was thinking of putting a ledge under the window on each side for making it easier to pass drinks back and forth. The floor in the kitchen/diningroom is red oak. This was the only stuff we didn't plane ourselves, and sent it to a local sawmill where they have magic blades that make the hardest wood feel as smooth as KY soaked butter.

A closer look at the "drink island". It was featured in the woodworking thread a few years ago, and since we sold our house in Ontario, most of our furniture migrated here. It holds 5 wine bottles, and 8 wine glasses upside-down in the slots in the front. On the hidden side (right) there are cubby shelves on the end of the unit.

Walking backwards down the hallway, you can see a bit more. The original design had the hallway 2 feet more narrow, but I widened it by that much so it didn't feel as cramped. Again, the spare room suffered, but really it's just for people to spend the night.

In the hallway is another previous project, a stereo cabinet for my Sansui 881. It's not set up and stocked with LPs yet, but I need something to do next year. It was made of walnut and held together mainly with dovetails that I made with my Porter Cable jig.

The bathroom is the only room that isn't walled, floored, or ceilinged with our own wood. It's roll-down laminate, with drywall. I took the vanity and sink from the aforementiend farm house and repainted it. I'm planning on making a linen cabinet for towels and TP.

My little guy's room. It's 10x12', and next summer I'm going to put a closet in it. The master bedroom which is 13x12' (still have to add a closet), and the spare room which is a massive 10x9'. I'm thinking of putting in a twin-sized bunk bed. I took all the photos with my phone, so everything seems to be distorted size wise (like how hunters do forced perspective) and as such rooms looks smaller than they actually are. Each bedroom has two painted drywall walls, as I wanted to break up the constant barrage of wood in the place.

When I came back at the end of June, the place was floored and walled. I had to put in the ceiling, put in the plumbing, wire the hot water heater, and do some soffitt work and crawl under and seal around pipes and wires. 1/2 the summer was spent doing that kind of crap. Hanging doors, installing a sink, shower, toilet, and swapping a window that turned out to be too small (IMO). The other half of the summer was spent doing this bastard!

That's butcher-block walnut and red oak counter top, with a red oak sink-skirt, and a red oak end piece. The whole cupboard assembly was made with one sheet of birch plywood, and the doors were re-purposed from that farmhouse and refinished with a darker stain. The countertop was originally going to be walnut boards, but they managed to warp on me and some of them looked like hockey sticks, so I sawed them 1"x1.5" and clamped them together. In total I used about 1L of wood glue to do the entire thing. The pantry has two large pull-out drawers so all the canned/dry goods are easily accessible.

The finished product. I'm thinking of putting a tall, narrow open-shelf on the left side of the window for spices and such.

Overall, it was a labour of love, and a week's worth of work next summer will get it to 100% finished. It's just a bit of trim, screening in the porch, and putting on some gutters so the rain doesn't run onto the deck. The biggest problem is going to be getting into the mindset of actually enjoying the place instead of frantically working on it.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Really cool place, I remember reading about you starting on this before.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Really nice place. What finish did you go for on the kitchen counters?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jaded Burnout posted:

Really nice place. What finish did you go for on the kitchen counters?

It's a few coats of tung oil then 6 or so coats of satin polyurethane for flooring. I assumed that would be the toughest. I was considering epoxy, but that stuff is expensive, and I have tons of poly. If it doesn't hold up (should since we're not planning on curring directly on it and using hot plate holders) then I might consider epoxy.

The counters are three strips of walnut, and one strip of red oak, which repeats across the depth of it. Given that the walnut had blonde streaks running through it, it's harder to pick up on that pattern. My planer only does 12.5 inches, so we had to plane each section of the counter in 2 parts, then clamp them together.

When finishing/sanding the top, I used a small hand plane to take out any ridges between the two sides where they joined, then used a card scraper to get closer, then sanded. There were a few knot holes that needed to be finished, so I just picked up on of these 5 minute epoxy syringes.

Before oiling and coating, I would squirt the epoxy/hardener into the vacuum formed plastic cover of its own package, give it a stir, and then dump it into any holes (then plane/sand them). I never bothered doing multiple-stage pours, or hitting it with a heat gun, so it was slightly cloudy and full of little bubbles and streaks that made for a really neat effect. Also these knot holes were pretty small, requiring very little to fill.