Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

vuk83 posted:

How do you eat it? With bread on the side? So it's basically the texture of a stew w eggs on top?

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

If I don't turn this into shakshuka, I should be punished severely.

Ok, so I cooked. I used gochugaru instead of cayenne and tossed in a couple anchovies, both of which I would recommend. Fresh basil on top really added a nice sweet note that worked well.

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 14, 2019

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Fantastic sounding and looking shuks all round :chef:

It's been too long since I made one so this is me posting for potential punishment. Just need to pick up a couple of things after work and I should be in business.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

vuk83 posted:

How do you eat it? With bread on the side? So it's basically the texture of a stew w eggs on top?

Yep. Probably be good over egg noodles too.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Liquid Communism posted:

Yep. Probably be good over egg noodles too.

Also good with rice and other grains.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Put it on spaghetti

Put it on pizza

Put it on rice

Put it on top of bread

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If I put a ton of meat into it, could it turn into a chili

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Steve Yun posted:

If I put a ton of meat into it, could it turn into a chili

It's already a chili.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I have tater-tot plans for my leftovers

cyka blyat
Sep 12, 2018

1999. What appeared to be a harmless meteorite crashing in the Nevada desert has turned out to be Darc Seed, an evil alien creature with horrible powers. By shooting strange magnetic rays, Darc Seed had turned the helpless nation into zombies and had brought the Statue of Liberty to life to do his dirty work. These rays had also given him control over many deadly weapons, but none were more powerful than the legendary samurai sword, Shura. When the great head of the samurai, Namakubi, heard that the sword had fallen into evil hands, he set off immediately for the United States. For only he possessed the strength and knowledge needed to recapture the magical sword and free the U.S. from the evil clutches of Darc Seed.

I eat it by tearing off and dipping challah or pita in it.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
A bit late with this: life, uh, finds a gets in the way.

I did mine a bit more in an Indian style than North African but the gist is the same.

Shite photos because I'm doing this at stupid o'clock in the morning in the UK in winter and the sun has died. The lineup (feta's still in the fridge):

Oops, forgot the ingredient that may get me chased out of the thread for heresy.

Yeah, we're using baby spuds too. Sorry (not sorry).

Looking acceptable-ish:

Served with some sourdough that I didn't toast enough in my rush to make sure the egg yolks were still runny. Observant readers will note that the whites weren't quite there in places but I'm not elderly, pregnant or a tiny child so I think I'll be fine. Worth it for dat runny yolk:

Unpretty and delicious. Which is a good thing as I've got loads of leftovers and no freezer space.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Food Network finally posted Alton’s recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi-9D-BfxUU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I shakd some shoush

Chopped up an eggplant in that bad boy for bulk, ( and to use it before it went bad) absolutely delicious. Bread is toasted stale bagels.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I’m gonna make a dang’d shakshuka.

It probably won’t look nice but it’ll taste good.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Successfully shakshuka'd this morning. Primarily followed the NYT recipe but made a few changes based on Kenji's recipe. Particularly using the whole cumin, and getting some really good browning/light charring on the onion and pepper. Left it in the oven a little too long and the eggs weren't as runny as I would've liked. But it turned out really tasty, will definitely do it again. Served it with bread I baked yesterday and some tasty ras el hanout sweet potatoes the girlfriend cooked up.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Since I had a bunch of harissa left, and some spare eggs, I made harissa egg salad.

loving tasty.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

20 minutes imo

e:

PONEYBOY fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 23, 2019

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011
Shakshuka

No-knead wheat bread

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I shakshukd with both chicken and chicken produce.

I also roasted some broccoli.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Came out real nice. Overcooked the eggs a smidge.

Toxx fulfilled.

E: did the New York times recipe but subbed the onion for some shallot since I'm not a big fan of onions. I also added some lemon zest.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 28, 2019

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Made a shakshuka with lamb meatballs for 6 last night.

Lamb/cumin/parsley meatballs go amazingly well with the flavours and texture of the shakshuka! Promise there's eggs in there, even though all my eggs dropped way too deep into the pan..

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I made two shakshukas this month. The first one, I tried using berbere spice as suggested in the thread. It was very tasty! Usually I use olive oil for my shakshuka, but since I'm used to using butter when I cook wot, I decided to do that for this shakshuka as well. I couldn't get it quite as hot to get good browning on the veg, since I didn't want to burn the butter, but the added richness of the butter was better for the dish overall.

Veggies sauteeing in butter

Whole tomatoes go in. I prefer to use whole tomatoes and break them down in the pan rather than putting diced tomatoes in

Eggs cooked *perfectly* if I may say

Plated with some sourdough toast and feta crumbled on top

Bonus 2nd shakshuka. I went with a different experimental spicing/serving this time: I didn't have any feta this time, but I did have some parmesan, so I used a sort of hot-italian-sausage spicing blend: paprika, crushed chilis, oregano, anise seed, fennel seed. Turned out really well, overall, but I think I prefer either my classic blend or the berbere spice (my classic spicing being hot pimenton, oregano, cumin and crushed chilis).

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
My attempts at Shakshuka have been cursed in a delicious way.
First time I had already shopped for making oyakudon. Then while I was cooking someone distracted me and I finished the regular oyakudon out of habit.
Second time I made some nice chicken, cabbage and tomato stew and planned to turn the leftovers into Shakshuka the next day. It tasted too good and then there were no leftovers.
Third attempt, I made a real big portion of chicken, potato, cabbage and tomato stew. Then my flatmate had a friend visit, and there were no leftovers to accept the egg.

Fourth time I succeed. Bacon, green beans, tomatoes and onions. Spiced with harissa, paprika, cumin, white pepper and salt. Cooked in pressure cooker, then transferred to a wok for the eggs:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

So who posted and hasn't fulfilled yet? :kheldragar: tick tock!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

So who posted and hasn't fulfilled yet? :kheldragar: tick tock!

I have been trying like hell to make this happen, but I had to leave an abusive living situation two weeks ago and since then I've just been trying to land on my feet. All of my stuff is at the old place still, and I'm living with my partner for the time being but I don't know how long that's going to take. Probate me if you want, I did say I'd do it after all, but I have bigger problems to worry about, like how long I'll have a place to rest my head. I don't have any spices or money for spices. I left them behind. Hopefully I can retrieve them and the rest of my belongings.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That’s exactly the sort of fake alibi I would come up with if I was trying to get out of a cook or die too

I’m kidding I hope things get better and if you need a few bucks to get by don’t hesitate to post your PayPal info here

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The final day is upon us.

My knives are sharp. Cook or die.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

That’s exactly the sort of fake alibi I would come up with if I was trying to get out of a cook or die too

I’m kidding I hope things get better and if you need a few bucks to get by don’t hesitate to post your PayPal info here

Thank you, I'm honestly really anxious about a lot of stuff right now and my cell phone bill is coming up. I'll make a post in chat thread I guess.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Aaagh I completely forgot about this, here's a slightly belated breakfast shakshuka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

October is ended.

All in all, we had 25 participants including the mastermind Steve Yun.

Successes:
Drink and Fight
Aery
Liquid Communism
amenbrotep
BrianBoitano
Waci
Wahad
codebot
browsers castle
PT6A
RoastBeef
Resting Lich Face :toxx:
Happiness Commando
Professor Wayne
Veritek83
franco
Suspect Bucket
Jato
toplitzin
pim01
VictualSquid

Failures:
vuk83
cyka blyat
SymmetryrtemmyS :toxx:

As Steve Yun is kind, and your situation sounds like it sucks, you will be spared from your toxx SymmetrytemmyS. Hope things turn in you favor soon!

Thanks everyone for participating!