Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I see today's game day thread involves a lot of food chat, so I thought I'd post a really good, simple slow-cooker recipe I use. It's the sort of thing you can put on when you go to bed and it will be more-or-less ready when you wake up. You don't need fancy-pants cooking skills. You do need a slow-cooker and a knife.

SLOW-COOKER PULLED PORK
  • 1 Pork Shoulder - Any chain grocery store should carry this, as would any butcher shop. What size? Look at your slow cooker, then pick one that's roughly half the volume of your slow cooker. Doesn't matter if it has the bone in it.
  • 2-3 Onions - I prefer sweet onions, but it probably doesn't matter. 2 big ones, 3 smaller ones that are roughly the size of two big ones, whatever.
  • A Rub - You know what size spice jars normally are, yes? A few inches high, not the tiny ones or the Costco-sized bottles? Go to the spice section of your local grocery store. Next to the regular spices should be a row of rubs, which are just spice blends. Pick one that looks good. If you're unsure, Montreal Steak Seasoning is good.
That's it? Yes. I'll explain later.

Turn the slow cooker on High.

Cut the onions into big chunks and toss them in the bottom of the slow cooker. Use the entire bottle of seasoning to rub the pork shoulder. Really rub it, like it's Robert Kraft spend 30-60 seconds to grind some of the spice into the meat. Then, drop it in the slow cooker.

At about the 6-7 hour mark, do 2, maybe 3, things:
  • Remove the bone, if it's a Bone-In Pork Shoulder.
  • Use a couple of forks to shred the pork. This serves two purposes. First, it helps move the interior meat to the outside, which helps it hit the safe temperature of 145 degrees. Second, it helps reassure anyone who's eating the pork that yes, it is cooked all the way through. Optics are important.
  • Use a ladle to remove a couple of cups of liquid. There's a lot of fat in pork shoulder. I don't like it when my food coats my mouth with grease with every bite. You don't want or need need to get all the liquid out, but try to get a few ladle-fulls.
At the 8-hour mark, the pork should be ready. Test it with a thermometer if you're unsure. At this point, you can go nuts with the customization. Have a favorite BBQ sauce? Great, dump it in now. Serving picky eaters? Bring it as-is and let them season it up. You can't remove seasoning after the fact, so it's better to keep it simple prior to please the largest number of people. I frequently use this as leftovers with eggs or rice, which could get screwy if the pork was BBQ flavored from the get-go.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU