Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Today I put an SSD into my desktop, and when I put the computer back and plugged it in, it doesn't connect to my monitor. There's nothing wrong with the monitor or the cable (I plugged it into a laptop and it works fine). It's a tower, with a vertical mobo and a horizontal GPU.

The computer turns on fine and behaves like normal, but I can't get signal between the GPU and the monitor.

I could get a brief signal when I put the PC on its side, so the mobo lay flat, which is telling me that it could be the graphics card. I couldn't wiggle it, so it wasn't loose in the connector, and the PCIe connector wasn't loose.

I've dropped off the GPU at the store where I bought it (a big box tech-type electronic store with a focus on computer parts), and they've taken it. It was apparently slightly bent, though it was difficult to tell. Could that create a bad connection?

What do I do if I get the GPU back, but the problem remains? I don't have any other parts to exchange with (to troubleshoot, etc), and I used the computer before I put the SSD in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShellfishClive
Oct 7, 2019
Does the Mobo have any display out?

Unless there is a physical fault I don't think the shop will be able to do much.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

No, there are no visual ports on the motherboard.

Would it be helpful if I borrowed another gpu from a friend, and plugged it into my pc to see if it works?

Philippe fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 8, 2019

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

bony tony posted:

No, there are no visual ports on the motherboard.

Would it be helpful if I borrowed another gpu from a friend, and plugged it into my pc to see if it works?

Yes, I would do this.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Okay, so I've bought a new mobo with an internal graphics support and a hdmi out, so I can at least connect to the desktop and troubleshoot further. New motherboard, new processor (with an integrated graphics circuit) , but I've got the exact same problem.

It's connected to the computer (because it doesn't say "Check connection", it says "No video input"). What the hell do I do.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What is the GPU and how old is it?

What is the make/model of the PSU and how old is it?

The SSD might be bad.