Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Yom Kippur hast just begun and, as every year, I am curious in a friendly way about how those who observe it spend their time. I am a college professor and, like my students, have the right to take a personal day in order to observe the holiday. I come from a very reform background as one of a rather small number of British Jews outside of North London. My uncle was a very progressive rabbi and I consider myself an agnostic, but I take the day very seriously in that I strictly observe the various "afflictions" even though I have not been to temple in many, many years. It was not easy to observe this holiest of days this year as I am particularly busy at work, but I believe that some things should take preference if only to show that one's livelihood is not the end all, be all of existence and work will still be waiting when the day is done.

So, how do you spend the day? I tend to spend it in reflection on the mistakes that I have made in the past year and those to whom I owe apologies for any offence. I also reflect on the fact that, despite constant worries about money, there are so many in this world who do not have regular food and clean water, and how fortunate I am to have such; I also hope that one day every man and beast will have that some good fortune. I know that me depriving myself does not feed anyone directly, but I find that the deprivation increases my empathy for all those who do not have the basics of life to begin with - for all human progress, there are still far too many of those.

Thanks for reading and may you all, as my uncle used to say, have a difficult and meaningful fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

JustJeff88 posted:

as my uncle used to say, have a difficult and meaningful fast.

Your uncle sounds kind of awesome.