Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love how our final enemy's attitude is basically "I respect what you did and wouldn't mess with you if it was up to me but this was my idiot grandson's last wish so HAVE AT THEE".

e: Really bad page snipe. Final boss video at the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

so if the divine child and sekiro are on a journey to the west, does that make sekiro a monkey, a pig, some kinda river demon, or a horse?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It means it's a good thing he's already used to traversing dangerous mountains full of horrible monsters because BOY are there a lot of those in Journey to the West.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

We at last return to wrap up the main story, fight one of the hardest bosses in Soulsborne, and see the last three endings.

Really appreciating 5 minutes and 30 seconds into this video, because I did not comprehend the story of this game very well and had no idea why Isshin came out of Genichirou's shoulder when I looked up the final boss.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It was pretty rude of From to force you to fight Genichiro every time. He doesn't have much poise so you can kill him pretty fast if you rush him down, but the final fight is long enough as is and really doesn't need a speed bump on every retry.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

You know what, I'd love to see From's take on Highlander. Somebody gift them the rights.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So, here we are at the end, and I can finally share my theory about Kuro, Takeru and Tomoe. Earlier I mentioned that the Dragon is missing an arm and this likely became the Sakura tree in Ashina that you need for the incense. So, Takeru and Tomoe are for whatever reason trying to perform severance, same as Kuro and Wolf; however they are unable to complete the incense and thus cannot return to the Fountainhead.

They still desire to perform severance, or perhaps Tomoe is falling to a madness similar to that of the Shura. In either case she ultimately strikes Takeru down (willing or not) with the Black Mortal Blade. In doing so, Takeru’s corpse gives rise to a new Dragon’s Heir, Kuro (Black). Perhaps this all happened because Tomoe was losing herself to bloodlust and spreading Dragonrot too much. In the end, she goes on to be struck down herself by Isshin, who learns his lightning techniques from her but declares her techniques forbidden for who knows what reason. He then hides away the Black Mortal Blade which later is retrieved by Genichiro, perhaps requiring the lightning of Tomoe to reach.

The timing on all this is perhaps odd, but I am assuming Genechiro studied under Tomoe directly at some point instead of learning her techniques secondhand.

Edit: Watching the fight itself and I have to say, one of the interesting things with Isshin is his first phase embodies something you can learn from Genechiro. Which is that you can keep bosses in parry loops if you remain aggressive.If you keep hitting Isshin, he weak parries twice and then strong parries, after which he will do one of four counter-attacks all of which are easily responded to. As for phase 3 it's possibly the best boss to use the mist-feather teleport, because if you use it neutral and get hit you jump into the air. So what happens is you get lightning hit on the groun teleport into the air to avoid the damage burst and then hit back.

As for how you kill him, it's remarkably appropriate, he cannot kill himself so Sekiro acts as his second and decapitates him.

Edit 2: So each of the three endings is actually somewhat thematically resonant with the endings of Bloodborne, but slightly remixed. In the first Sekiro/The Hunter becomes the mentor figure (Sculptor/Gehrman) however I think there is an implication but this one will be different for Sekiro, he does not show the anger/frustration/rage of the previous Sculptor merely sadness at loss, he will not become the Demon of Hatred because he feels sorrow instead. In the second, a new dawn arises, you have defeated the thing that is stagnating Ashina/Yahrnam and allowing life to continue, although who continues changes as The Hunter Awakens but it is Kuro not Sekiro who becomes mortal. The third is of course about new childhood and rebirth, much like the Childhood ending for Bloodborne, it's not easy to notice but the Divine Child has the start of a rounding belly and places her hand on top in a manner similar to a pregnant woman, thus the Divine Child becomes the Divine Mother and Kuro will be taken to the correct land of his birth ancestry to be reborn both physically and spiritually; this is supported by some of her dialogue about what the snake viscera will turn her into, a bed/cradle (both place of death and place of birth) for the Dragon's Heritage.

Notably this continues a theme of something Dark Souls eluded to, wherein serpents are said to be corrupted dragons, and of course the giant serpents of Ashina are the same colour and treated as divinities much like the pale divine dragon, so that's kind of interesting. The likely pregnancy imagery also why there is an implication of time has passed by the Divine Child having an older looking face and larger model than previous, as well as her talking to the ghosts of the other children. I wonder why Emma isn't in that ending at all, even though she's in the other two quite prominently.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 21, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

a cartoon duck posted:

so if the divine child and sekiro are on a journey to the west, does that make sekiro a monkey, a pig, some kinda river demon, or a horse?
This is kind of an interesting analogy since the way the Dragon arrived (from the west) and pushing the local gods out of favor (the serpents in their shrines, Senpou monks turning from worship to obsession with immortality, maybe even the little old dragons that serve it) could be seen as an image of the spread of Buddhism in Japan (although this obviously took place much earlier than Sekiro's time).

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I really don't want to see a sequel to this. I feel like the only ending that would preserve the gameplay conceit would be the Shura ending, and gently caress making that the official end.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

a cartoon duck posted:

Well he takes over for Orangutan in the "Divine Tears" only ending so Monkey makes sense :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Really appreciating 5 minutes and 30 seconds into this video, because I did not comprehend the story of this game very well and had no idea why Isshin came out of Genichirou's shoulder when I looked up the final boss.

It isn’t a Souls game until I need to look up why I was fighting the whoever I was fighting at the end (because I died so much I completely forgot what was going on).

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I agree with everyone’s sentiment about closure, sad as I’m am that we probably won’t be getting more Sekiro. I can believe that Wolf and the Divine Child’s journey to the West will be long and hard, but it’s a hopeful journey. Having them head back into a classic FromSoft world of misery would lessen it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I assume a sequel would be The Adventures of Young Ishhin.

Bookthief
Jan 28, 2019

The Lone Badger posted:

I assume a sequel would be The Adventures of Young Ishhin.

That'd just be a musou style game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I totally understand why it wasn't done in the video since it would mean you don't get to see the cool new moveset; but it's both almost comedy and a nice bit of growth in the fight against Genichiro that once you dodge his first big Mortal Blade sweep, he dies very easily to R1 spam. Just attacking over and over will interrupt most of his moves and build his posture up fast enough for a quick kill.

Once a tough boss, now outgrown.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

bewilderment posted:

I totally understand why it wasn't done in the video since it would mean you don't get to see the cool new moveset; but it's both almost comedy and a nice bit of growth in the fight against Genichiro that once you dodge his first big Mortal Blade sweep, he dies very easily to R1 spam. Just attacking over and over will interrupt most of his moves and build his posture up fast enough for a quick kill.

The R1 thing works for all versions of Genechiro and the first phase of Isshin. You can lock them into a very small movelist by being aggressive. In fact as the final boss says, Hesitation is Defeat.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

bewilderment posted:

I love how FS designed the Genichiro encounters as it shows how much Sekiro and the player have grown throughout the game. The first Genichiro fight is basically a scripted loss, the second one is a duel between two equals, and then in the last fight he's a complete pushover whose only purpose is to give you a bit of Resurrection orb charge.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Obviously this or any future LPs won't be continuing here on SA while Lowtax still owns it, so if you want to keep up-to-date, just subscribe to the YouTube channel and hope YouTube actually tells you when new videos go up, or join my Discord where we post all our video and stream updates.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Lowtax killed lps

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I still blame Retsutalk. They had Lowtax on, they had TotalBiscuit on, they only mentioned JonTron and Kevin Spacey and both of them suck now.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

ThornBrain posted:

Obviously this or any future LPs won't be continuing here on SA while Lowtax still owns it, so if you want to keep up-to-date, just subscribe to the YouTube channel and hope YouTube actually tells you when new videos go up, or join my Discord where we post all our video and stream updates.

I respect your decision. I already follow you guys on Youtube and look forward to a day when goons can again gather without giving money to a wife-beater to do so. Thanks for the good LPs.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Now that Lowtax is gone, I at minimum feel okay with posting the remaining updates and concluding the thread. I'm still dubious about posting new LPs here, but I'll consider it.

We do also have LPs that I chose not to post here and are too far along to post now: Graveyard Keeper, with Skippy Granola and YamiNoSenshi - Jet Force Gemini, with Jacob - and Jacob's LP of Doom 64 with me and TorpidTypist. I may post Tony Hawk's Underground if Sally or Fedule says it's okay, since only two parts are up so far.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Sounds like you'd be fine posting all of the above if you would like to, from the new pinned post.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Looks like it. I'll get those up tonight.

E: Alright, Tony Hawk's Underground, Jet Force Gemini, Graveyard Keeper, and Doom 64 are all up now. I refrained from posting the latter three in the "New LPs" thread since they're so far in.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 11, 2020

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Heya folks, don't know if anyone still has this thread bookmarked, but here's the scoop:
Between my last post and now (like, two weeks after it?), there was a major content update for Sekiro that added in boss rushes, some costumes, and minor online player interaction. I'm well out of practice with the game, and was at the time of the main LP ending, but I'm replaying the game to see if I can get those instincts back. If so, there will be one more video for this LP showing all the new stuff.
The gauntlets get extensive, so it may be recorded in a livestream, and I can't make any promises about if/when that will happen. I just wanted to post here and let you all know that I'm considering it, since I went into this LP intending for it to be comprehensive and completionist.
I'll let you all know how things turn out.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Aw Jeez, good luck with that. I know how difficult this game can be at the best of times, and the idea of a boss rush is terrifying.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Glad to hear you're going to "finish" the game on this sense! When the gauntlets released my experience of picking up the game again after like a year was pretty rough, but I did a fresh NG playthrough with all the increased difficulty things on and by the time I'd finished I was well ready for the gauntlets and didn't actually struggle much with them once I'd practiced the new "inner" bosses a bunch.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I'd welcome someone else's experience regarding the boss rushes. I still play the game from time to time, and while I'm SO MUCH better than I used to be, I don't know that I have the honest urge to learn some of the "inner" bosses with their "we kill you now" moves.

Then again, a new combat art...

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The new combat is really cool and I practically never take it off.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Alright, folks, it's happening! Jacob and I are looking at the free content DLC live today at 2PM Pacific, 5PM Eastern:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3lUyjRUd5A

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

And here is the stream cleaned up and public! Thanks again to anyone who stuck around, and here's hoping Code Vein and Bloodborne aren't another year in the future.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Nice :) Thanks for showing this off after all this time.
I'm not sure who that first alternate player model is supposed to be; just some random shinobi?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Carpator Diei posted:

Nice :) Thanks for showing this off after all this time.
I'm not sure who that first alternate player model is supposed to be; just some random shinobi?

In the deacription it says it's an uniform that used to belong to Sekijo aka the Sculptor.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

In the deacription it says it's an uniform that used to belong to Sekijo aka the Sculptor.
Ah, okay, that makes a lot of sense.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Clarification of how items work in gauntlets: They only go away during the gauntlet, so you can run out between bosses. However once you leave the gauntlet, they're back to where you were. I had one of the special named Jizo statue with none in storage, and I used it several times during practice. So if you just care about the unlockables and not being the biggest gamer badass, that should help!

You guys inspired me to make a concerted effort to at least get the unlockables, if not that long-rear end final gauntlet. I changed up some strategies I was using, got more confident about using the step-dodge, and finally beat the first two this week. I almost beat inner Isshin on my second go at him while chugging every healing item I could.

Edit: Beat the Severence gauntlet last night! I only used most of my super healing items on Inner Isshin, and I never successfully dealt with his three-part perilous combo without taking damage!

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I would really like to at least get the new art by beating the first gauntlet but I just can't find the gumption to figure out inner Genichiro. You'll just have to rock that new art for me...