Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfriede Shrempf
Jan 13, 2008
Great Job!
As I was brainstorming what dishes I would make for this ICSA competition I couldn’t escape thinking about a staple of breakfast in America (and many other countries around the world as well): Eggs.

While looking for ideas, I found a breakfast sandwich that is a well known Korean street food but was new to me: Korean Street Toast. So, to challenge myself and do something different I decided to do a breakfast inspired by Korean food with eggs as a central theme.

Having already decided that eggs would be the central ingredient to my breakfast meal I decided to go straight to the source. Many of my favorite local restaurants source eggs, poultry, and meat from Lake Meadow Naturals, a local farm, so I took a trip there to tour their egg production facilities and pick some eggs. A small trip report can be found below this entry’s recipes.

Menu

First Course: Steamed Eggs and Banchan (Yuzu Pickled Radish, Spicy Pickled Radish, Bean Sprouts, and Kimchi)
Second Course: Potato Pancakes
Third Course: Korean Street Toast
Dessert Drink: Cinnamon Tea

This “special sake to enjoy slowly on Saturday and Sunday” was served with the meal as well.

First Course: Gyeran-jjim (Steamed Eggs) with Banchan

Steamed eggs are a tasty alternative to the usual fried or scrambled egg. Steam eggs are fluffy and--due to being cooked in a stone pot--retain their heat for the whole duration of a meal. Banchan are shared dishes that are usually pickled, spicy, savory, or some combination of the three. The full field of small dishes allows for each breakfaster to design a meal how they like--varying between spicy, sweet, and savory.

I prepared the following banchan to go along with the steamed eggs. The banchan should be prepared in advance.

Bean Sprouts
Ingredients
1 cup soy bean sprouts
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tsp black garlic sauce

Directions
Rinse bean sprouts and then parboil for 1-2 minutes. Mix the other ingredients while the sprouts are cooling. Finally, combine all ingredients and refrigerate for at least one hour.

Yuzu Pickled Radish
Ingredients
¼ cup rice vinegar
1 ½ tablespoons yuzu juice
1 ½ tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons hot water
½ daikon radish, cut into small cubes

Directions
Mix sugar and water first to dissolve the sugar. Then mix all ingredients and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Spicy Pickled Radish
Ingredients
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons hot water
½ to 1 tablespoon gochujang
Dash salt and sugar
¼ daikon radish, cut into small thin strips

Directions
Same as above.

Steamed Eggs

Ingredients
3 eggs
¼ - ½ cup chicken broth
1 tsp black garlic sauce
green onion
sesame oil

Directions
Slowly heat broth in a stone pot to a slow boil. Whisk three eggs, green onion, salt, and black garlic sauce in a bowl.

Once the stock reaches a slow boil lower the heat and stir in the egg mixture; continue stirring for 1 minute. Then, cover and cook on low for 5 minutes or until done. Add green onion on top during the last minute of cooking. Finally, drizzle some sesame oil on top.

Serve with the banchan and some kimchi. I picked up some kimchi from a local Asian market but feel free to make your own.

Second Course: Potato Pancakes (Gamjajeon)

Sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
½ tbsp sesame oil
green onion
white onion, diced
Korean green pepper, sliced thin

Directions
Mix all ingredients for the sauce and let sit while preparing the rest of the dish.

Ingredients
1 potato
¼ white onion
1 tsp salt

Toppings
green onion
Cured egg yolk

Directions for Cured Egg Yolk
1 cup sugar
1 cup kosher salt
1 bay leaf
2 eggs

Mix salt, sugar and bay leaf in food processor. Fill small dishes halfway with salt and sugar mixture, add egg yolk, and then cover with salt and sugar mixture. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 week. Scoop out the egg yolks carefully and heat in 200 degree oven on wire rack for 1/2 hour. At this point I refrigerated them for another few days.

They were salty and savory and so good. I was really happy with the results and have used these for a few different dishes. They were one of my favorite parts of the meal.

Directions
Mix all of the sauce ingredients and set aside.

Heat a skillet over medium heat.

Grate the potato and then drain in a cheese cloth. Next, grate the onion and mix into the potato that has been drained. I saved a little potato juice to add back later and then seasoned the potato and onion mixture with salt and pepper.

Pour a small amount of sesame oil and butter in the skillet; then, add the potato mixture, forming it into small pancakes on the heated skillet. Cook until browned, flip, and cook until the other side is browned and crispy. I left these in a warm oven until they were ready to serve. Before serving, top with grated cured egg yolk and sliced green onions.

Third Course: Korean Breakfast Toast
Korean Breakfast Toast is a great comfort food resulting from some bizarre lost in translation effect. This is basically a popular Korean take on an American egg breakfast sandwich. The classic Korean dish deviates from my recipe below. Where they have sugar and ketchup I’ve replaced those ingredients with yuzu mayo and sriracha in the slaw.

Ingredients
¼ green cabbage
1 carrot
2 eggs
sliced green onion
sliced white onion
2 slices of ham
2 slices american cheese
4 slices english muffin bread
Butter
Yuzu mayo
Sriracha

Directions
Start by slicing the vegetables and onion very thin. I use a vegetable peeler for the carrots to get real thin strips. Mix all of the sliced cabbage, carrots, and onion then split equally into two bowls.

In the first bowl, mix in 2 eggs. This will be turned into a sort of omelet for the sandwich. In the second bowl, add the yuzu mayo and sriracha to the mixed veggies to create a slaw.

Soften the butter and spread a thin layer on each side of the bread. Toast all sides evenly and then place in the warm oven to keep warm.

Cook the egg and veggie mixture on medium heat. Be sure to form a square or rectangle approximately the height of the bread while it is cooking. I did a rectangle because I was cooking for two so I just slice in half when it is done cooking.

Assemble in the following order: bread, omelet, cheese, ham, slaw and bread.

Dessert Drink: Sujeonggwa (Cinnamon Punch)

Cinnamon Punch (or Tea) is a dessert drink that is generally sweet with small notes of spice. Not only is it delicious but it is also a great palate cleanser and aids in digestion after a meal.

Ingredients
Sliced ginger
2 cinnamon sticks
¼ cup brown sugar
4 cups water
pine nuts, garnish

Directions
Add ginger to 2 cup water and heat it up about 10 minutes on high heat. When it boils, lower to medium-low heat and simmer for an hour.

Add cinnamon sticks to 2 cups water and heat it up about 10 minutes on high heat. When it boils, lower to medium-low heat and simmer for an hour.

Drain liquids and pour ginger water, cinnamon water and brown sugar in a pot. Bring to a boil to melt sugar and then simmer for about 10 minutes to combine flavors. Let cool in the fridge. Garnish with pine nuts before serving.

Overall, I really enjoyed that all of the dishes fit so well together. Everything had so much flavor and felt like comfort food while also being healthy, especially for a breakfast.

Egg Tour and Lake Meadow Naturals farm

I procrastinated on this entry and wish I had more time to post about the awesome farm we visited. More pictures from the farm and egg tour can be found below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
KITTY CAT! Love those potato pancakes and that cinnamon punch, too. I'm definitely going to try that punch some time!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Is there a particular reason you would boil the ginger and cinnamon separately and THEN together? Sounds interesting though, def putting it on the "things to try on a cold morning" list. I may add a poo poo ton of bourbon to it though.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I ate each of these items (literally). I really don't like egg at all but I loved the whole meal. The closest I get to enjoying egg is when it's included with something else (bibimbap for instance). The steamed eggs I was skeptical about but they came out really great. I think the added green onion and chicken broth made a difference; plus the fluffiness made it seem less mushy than scrambled eggs (as far as my food pickiness goes). The cured egg is like an awesome, more savory parmesan on top of the potato cakes. And the street toast just uses egg like and awesome flavorful binder to bring together all of the crunchy vegetables along with the sweet and spicy mix of yuzu mayo and sriracha.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 13, 2019

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I've never encountered a steamed egg/savory custard dish I didn't like and this one looks like it's no exception, but the cured yolks steal the show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfriede Shrempf
Jan 13, 2008
Great Job!

Nephzinho posted:

Is there a particular reason you would boil the ginger and cinnamon separately and THEN together? Sounds interesting though, def putting it on the "things to try on a cold morning" list. I may add a poo poo ton of bourbon to it though.

Bourbon would be a great addition. Many of the recipes I found while researching suggest boiling the cinnamon and ginger separately to have a stronger individual flavor of each. You can also substitute honey for brown sugar but brown sugar adds more color.