Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Problem description: Put a new computer together, run video to monitor using Displayport. Computer will not boot with DisplayPort in. But then, will also not boot with just HDMI in. But will boot with BOTH in, provided once the computer boots, I switch the monitor from whatever input it starts up in (either HDMI or DP) to the OTHER input, where I have to go into Display options to reset the resolution to get DisplayPort working.

Attempted fixes: I have upgraded all my drivers (Gigabyte RTX2080 and Asus z390-a), bought several Displayport wires thinking it was the wire (it's not), and bought a second RTX2080 in case it was the card (it's not)

Recent changes: New computer (~6 months old). Initially worked fine with just Displayport in, Now it just...doesn't.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

System specs: Relevant specs are an RTX2080 video card and an Asus z390-a mobo with an i9-9700k. LG 34gk950f-b monitor. Nothing is overclocked to remove that variable.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

This whole thing has me stumped. Initially I built the computer from scratch and it worked just fine using just the Displayport input. Then over time the computer would sometimes not wake up from the screen turning off so I'd restart it. Then sometimes the computer wouldn't boot at all (the LED error lights would point to GPU problems). So I bought a new RTX thinking it was the card, but had the same errors. I then bought a bunch of new Displayport wires from different companies figuring it was a bad wire but the problem persisted.

Eventually I just plugged in BOTH the Displayport and the HDMI to find the following: My computer would always boot up when both wires were hooked up, but the screen would never turn on. I'd have to switch the inputs on the monitor to whichever the OTHER input was (if the monitor turned on in HDMI, I'd have to switch to DP and vice versa). When I switched I saw the lovely login screen. From here I'd go into the Nvidia Control Panel > Change Resolution and saw that my resolution was never at its correct 144Hz refresh rate but at something odd like 120 or 75. Same issue if the HDMI wasn't working, that refresh rate would be at 59 instead of 60Hz.

If DP wasn't working, when I was in HDMI I'd change the DP refresh rate back to 144Hz and when I swapped over it would work fine. If HDMI wasn't working, when I was in DP I'd change the refresh rate back to 60Hz and when I swapped over THAT would work fine.

What do I need to do to just have the computer boot up in DP correctly the first time, and/or keep the Refresh Rate from going crazy every time the monitor sleeps or computer turns off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling
Are they quality monitors? My LG 4K TV (hooked to HTPC) recently died, and in desperation I replaced it with a cheap Best Buy house brand TV. Now everytime the TV cycles on/off, Windows thinks the resolution changed and all my open windows are shrunk and piled up in the left corner. Never had this happen with LG, Vizio, etc. so it's obviously some cheap-rear end firmware in the TV, which is essentially a monitor. Similarly crappy firmware could maybe explain what you're seeing.

Given how much hardware you've replaced it's unlikely to be a bad card/cable.

Maybe check the BIOS? Some BIOS's have an option to specify the startup video output source.

Also maybe disable sleep (PC and/or monitor) and see if there's a difference?

Given that Windows 10 can basically reconfigure your system under your feet without permission, it could be a software issue. Are you able to slap in a drive with Windows 7 and see if the problem exists?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
This is a very high quality monitor, and thinking about it I might have to try a new monitor which I'd like to avoid but I did deal with a video card buy/return so why not?

I never saw anything in BIOS to specify source but I'll take a look. I've set my computer to always on/max power as well but that didn't fix it.

I have a win7 disc that I upgraded to 10, I could always look into reinstalling on just 7 but I'd really like to avoid that if I can...