Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Anyone else get the feeling that Young Thomas rapes Wake before dragging him out on a leash? They are wearing different clothes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
where the gently caress are you people getting all this rape from

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Seriously.

They clearly made love.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

verbal enema posted:

where the gently caress are you people getting all this rape from

The movie where two men living in a giant phallic structure beat the poo poo out of each other because they're totally not wanting to kiss each other because even though they're lonely and slow dancing to love songs they're totally not gay. They're so not gay that one of them leads the other around on a dog leash like a Dom and a Sub.

Pattinson's character arc is literally progressed by his masturbation habits. Sexual frustrations and sexual dynamics (and power dynamics) are worn on the film's sleeve.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 23, 2020

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Unoriginal Name posted:

Anyone else get the feeling that Young Thomas rapes Wake before dragging him out on a leash? They are wearing different clothes

My initial thought is that they would have made it more explicit if we’re meant to think that. It seems like they exit the building right after he tells him to roll over, but then again the fact that he tells him that might be proof enough. On my next rewatch I’ll pay closer attention because I definitely didn’t notice the clothes thing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

My initial thought is that they would have made it more explicit if we’re meant to think that. It seems like they exit the building right after he tells him to roll over, but then again the fact that he tells him that might be proof enough. On my next rewatch I’ll pay closer attention because I definitely didn’t notice the clothes thing.

Another weird one is when they first get poo poo-faced together, they fall asleep together fully dressed. Pattinson wakes up with his clothes stripped off. He looks around for Wick while immediately getting dressed, and he looks confused and agitated.

It struck me as odd both times I've seen it.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Yeah there's a lot of ambiguity and scenes that you could interpret as sexual assault. On my second watch I was struck by that quick shot of naked Wick with eyes glowing like the Lighthouse grabbing Winslow's arm. The next scene is Winslow trying to escape with the boat.

Also this movie is fantastic.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
There's a lot of sexual tension. Wake jokingly says that Winslow is "pretty as a picture" the first time they talk. He also comments on Winslow's appearance near the end, when he calls him a "painted actress" or whatever. When Winslow tries to leave, Wake shouts "don't leave me."

When they're both blackout drunk, Winslow asks Wake if he "feels shame when he lies with a woman." Not a coincidence that the shame of expressed sexuality is on top of his mind.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Watched this last weekend and loved it. And yes, this is extremely homoerotic.

I will say the way it was shot on actual B&W 35mm with filters to look like orthochromatic and often with silent-era lenses gives it one hell of a unique look that can't be gotten from digital easily. The Blu-ray has a great piece on the cinematography worth watching.

Loved how it used a lighting trick that was used on the '31 Jekyll & Hyde. Near the end, Pattison has blood on his face that appears to white out thanks to flooding his face with red light, which is how they did the amazing in-camera effect of Jekyll turning into Hyde

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
guess im just real dumb at picking up on things

i just thought it was a spooky movie about old timey lighthouse guys with lovely lives

still good though ill have to watch it again sometime

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

https://twitter.com/ohthatnk/status/1221552125076836352?s=21

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

After watching the movie again, here's my read on how the Prometheus myth ties into the film overall. In the classic myth, the gods forgive Prometheus for granting humanity the knowledge of fire when Prometheus teaches humanity to offer sacrifices to the gods. It’s only when humanity begins to “cheat” the gods by offering substandard burnt offerings that Prometheus, the human’s representative, is condemned to have his guts torn by eagles for eternity. The humans, for their part, offer sacrifices to the gods not just for protection and favor, but also out of a sense of devotion to a higher being.

Likewise, Winslow offers labor to Wake and the original Winslow before him not just out of a need to earn a living, but also to receive love and respect from them. It’s Winslow’s fervent wish that his efforts be recognized and found worthy, and his greatest fear is that he be seen for who he truly is and found unworthy.

However, when Winslow’s work is found to be lacking - for reasons just as arbitrary and trivial as the god’s disgust at humanity’s poor sacrifices - it’s not his managers that cast him down, but himself. In the final scene, Winslow finally discovers that working hard for a difficult boss will never be sufficient to give him the love he believes he deserves. It’s the very nature of labor that it is alienating. Thus, it is Winslow’s irrational faith in the American Dream and his ability to win over hostile male authority figures that punishes himself.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Pick posted:

If a film has communicated a theme to the audience, there will be a cluster of interpretations around that theme. If it's the intended theme, that's the bullseye. Parasite pulled this off, for example. If it's not the intended theme, doesn't matter--it'll just be clustered off-center (e.g. Fahrenheit 451 being about television--not censorship). The interpretations are a function of information communicated to the audience and can be justified more strongly than alternative interpretations (e.g. that Parasite is about rigging dog shows).

But if the film hasn't said or communicated anything, guesses will all be all over the map and have an equally credible justifications. That's The Lighthouse. The audience doesn't even seem to have a consensus on what the important plot beats are. It's a mish-mash of visuals that have no significance beyond that they're presented in a way that the audience is attuned, by other, better media, to assume have significance. The audience is trying to fill in the gaps, but that's not clever, it's just a gimmick. As stated, it's the emperor's new clothes.

So if you personally connected with a movie and found it meaningful but later found that the public at large couldn't form a consensus around it, you'd disown your opinion of the movie because obviously you were simply duped into seeing things that weren't actually there, right? :jerkoff:

Get the gently caress outta here.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Pretty sure that was copy/pasted from the book ripping scene in Dead Poets Society.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

aye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogAoOSKlxJU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
This is now on Amazon Prime streaming so there is absolutely no excuse for not watching this glorious roller coaster of tension & release.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Great Quar film.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
I watched this last night and really enjoyed it.

I found this video analysis pretty interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yllMFY1Mb08

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well this was absolutely fantastic. I loved the atmosphere, the sound design, the cinematography, both Pattinson and Dafoe acting the HELL out of the script, the numerous references to Prometheus.

One of those movies where I wish I had been watching it with friends so I could immediately have had discussions on how everyone interpreted it.

E: and I was delighted with how period accurate the movie looked. I hate black and white movies that are shot in colour and then just de-saturated in Premiere or whatever, the texture and contrast never looks right. But here it 100% did, and it made perfect sense for them to have used actual B&W equipment.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 17, 2022