Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Doctor Stranges' biggest sin, aside from being very boring, is rewriting the origins of a decades old character to specifically sell the movie to a country committing genocide against said background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I also think the accent is really silly

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Hobbit also hosed over New Zealand's film industry, having a severe negative effect on lots of people's real lives.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Hobbit 3 has an r rated cut. A gory version of a childrens book?

*Max Shrek yawn*

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Crowetron posted:

The Hobbit also hosed over New Zealand's film industry, having a severe negative effect on lots of people's real lives.

Is there like a summary of all the weird disasters and blowups surrounding the Hobbit movies? It's hard to remember, the only one I have off the top of my head is the griping around the Tauriel character and one of the very few times the Nerds were actually completely right.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

mycot posted:

Is there like a summary of all the weird disasters and blowups surrounding the Hobbit movies? It's hard to remember, the only one I have off the top of my head is the griping around the Tauriel character and one of the very few times the Nerds were actually completely right.

In video form, many of us learned about it from Lindsey Ellis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRUQ-RKfUs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElPJr_tKkO4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7t_g5QObs

The first two are about all the ways the movies hosed up or things went very not to plan, while the third is about how the acting industry in New Zealand got hosed.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I wasn't a fan of Tauriel, but her inclusion wasn't nearly as terrible as shoe-horning Saruman, Galadriel, and Legolas into the movies. The trilogy's greatest sins were 1) being a trilogy, and 2) eschewing the overall goofiness of The Hobbit in order to become a bad rip-off of Lord of the Rings.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I only saw the first one, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that there wasn't nearly enough barrel-riding when the time came.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The barrel riding scene was like 25 minutes and it looked like poo poo. The first movie was somehow probably the best of the three.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The barrel riding scene was like 25 minutes and it looked like poo poo. The first movie was somehow probably the best of the three.

That's because the first one had the trolls and goblins, and Gandalf punking a very surprised Goblin King was hilarious

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

As I get older I find I have less and less patience for padding in films, and the Hobbit movies are some of the most shamelessly padded movies that you will see.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
The characters not being in danger during anything just makes it stupid. On the one hand its all serious stuff (tm) and then the barrel scene happens....

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

The characters not being in danger during anything just makes it stupid. On the one hand its all serious stuff (tm) and then the barrel scene happens....

The mines was the worst for that for me. It was like a video game cutscene. Hundreds of goblins killed with no effort whatsoever. No sense of danger or tension in the slightest.

The BBC audiobook I listened to as a kid had a thousand times more character/atmosphere/tension.

Just awful.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It should not bother me that fire and lava arent hot in films but somehow the hobbit part 2 broke my conditioning and I was mad about it while watching that segment

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Roblo posted:

The mines was the worst for that for me. It was like a video game cutscene. Hundreds of goblins killed with no effort whatsoever. No sense of danger or tension in the slightest.

The BBC audiobook I listened to as a kid had a thousand times more character/atmosphere/tension.

Just awful.

It's hard competition between that and the barrel scene for what is more videogame-y.

I think the barrel scene edges out because they have to leave the barrels to fight orcs so they can pull a lever to advance further. That feels like what I would have expected out of a video game based on the movies haha.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Good phrasing. Much like the last Indian Jones movie, it felt like they were on an theme park ride. Never in danger, just lots of thrills and spills.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I will always remember that there's a set of scenes in the first Hobbit where you start with Gandalf in a council with the elves. They talk and talk and talk and then it moves to the next scene... where the dwarves are holding a council where they talk and talk and talk... and then we get to the orcs! Who are having a council, and talking.

It was kind of hilarious in the theater, but it's so slow and tedious I never want to watch the film again. Never saw the third, but I was told that Smaug dies basically five minutes into the film, which is ridiculous. Because they needed to cram a big battle scene in that, in the book, Bilbo misses entirely because he got knocked out.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Even saying the third one "crams a battle scene in" is being too forgiving for folks who haven't seen it. The third one is a battle scene, one far longer than anything in the LOTR trilogy (I believe) and certainly far stupider than probably anything else out out in the last decade (non-Transformers category).

I was right out of college when the first Hobbit movie came out and I didn't quite know what to make of it. It definitely didn't evoke any of the wonderment of the LOTR trilogy, but I thought hey it's a new trilogy, and the Gollum scenes were well done, so whatever. I'm not 12 this time, so maybe this is how adults reacted to LOTR.

I actually liked parts of the second one the one time I saw it. Unlike the first one, it actually explores some new places, which has always been a big part of the appeal of the franchise. Everything was obviously stupider than LOTR, but it seemed to be looking up, and the Smaug stuff was well done like the Gollum stuff in the previous movie.

The advertising for the third movie hinged on "Peter Jackson is going to wrap it all up in a bow and connect it to LOTR in a way you might not expect, you're going to want to see this!" so I had some faith going in. About an hour in I finally accepted that it wasn't going to "come around", and that this is exactly how adult Star Wars fans felt when the prequels came out.

The first two are bad but relatively forgettable. They shouldn't have tried to adapt the book as a dark action adventure series, but at least they still had some interesting visuals and plenty of references to the wider lore.

The Desolation of Smaug, however, just bounces from one profoundly embarrassing thing to the next at a truly bewildering pace, without even bothering to pretend it's taking place in a thought-out or interesting setting. It's unequivocally the worst of the three on every level.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder how different the Hobbit would’ve ended up being if New Line and WB hadn’t tried to gently caress over Peter Jackson directly after finishing LotR. New Line let Jackson walk, thinking they could just recreate the success they saw with LotR with the Polar Express, which ended up bombing so hard it gave Warner Bros the opening it was waiting for to seize control of New Line and absorb them into their company. If New Line didn’t burn those bridges, we could’ve got the Jackson produced/Del Toro directed version instead of the over bloated mess we’re stuck with.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I remember the third hobbit just feeling like a game of Total War or Age of Empires or some poo poo

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The only redeemong feature of The Hobbit isnt even in the films. Its Benedict Cumberbatch's sheer glee and motion capture performance as Smaug.

That the head dwarf went on to be Dracula in Castlevania was a step up for him.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the camaraderie of the dwarves and their boisterous but lovable behavior was like, the best part about the book. you got to know and care about all of them.

outside of a few gimmick video game cutscenes, a forced tragic love triangle, and a quick "hey remember gimli" scene, the dwarves in this movie receive almost no characterization. Three movies and things move so quickly that we don't have time to get to know any of them.

thorin's turn and redemption happen like two or three times as well, and they all feel unearned.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i was working at a Lego store at the time the first Hobbit movie came out, we had sets associated with that movie but a few of them were special "preview" sets for the second movie which I immediately tagged as Lego covering for the dumb dumb dumb dumb decision to split it from two movies to three. It seemed like it was such a poor slapdash decision and completely killed all desire i had to watch any of them

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I rather liked Martin Freeman as Bilbo, and I can't decide if the prospect of the focus returning to him for the finale made waiting around for the interminable Battle of Zero Stakes to end more bearable, or less so.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The fact that they repeat the exact same characters exact same emotional beats across the films is infuriating and if you try to treat them as standalone where the events of one need not lead to the next the emotional beats themselves are undercooked and their narratives unsatisfying.

I really dont have anything positive to say about the hobbit films.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The ending of the second Hobbit movie, what with all the dragon fighting and running and jumping and stuff, is by far one of the most annoying movie finales of the past decade. It's just so void of any meaning and suspense, since you know full well that Smaug ain't gonna bite it there.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

God Hole posted:

the camaraderie of the dwarves and their boisterous but lovable behavior was like, the best part about the book. you got to know and care about all of them.

outside of a few gimmick video game cutscenes, a forced tragic love triangle, and a quick "hey remember gimli" scene, the dwarves in this movie receive almost no characterization. Three movies and things move so quickly that we don't have time to get to know any of them.

thorin's turn and redemption happen like two or three times as well, and they all feel unearned.

You're gonna be disappointed if you ever give the book a reread, only like 4 of them have any personality or distinguishing traits or individual lines of dialogue.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Blood Boils posted:

You're gonna be disappointed if you ever give the book a reread, only like 4 of them have any personality or distinguishing traits or individual lines of dialogue.

the book takes about as long to read as it does to watch one and a bit of the movies, so it's less of an issue.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Blood Boils posted:

I'm going to stand by my 11-year-old self's assessment of the characterization of the dwarves and reassert that the movies' portrayal of them did not measure up :colbert:

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

This is what starts playing in my head anytime I think about the Hobbit films:

Sexy
Sexy dwarves, don't mean a thing,
huh
Oh you sexy dwarves

Sexy
Sexy dwarves, don't ever change,
huh
Oh you sexy dwarves

Because for some reason they tried to make the dwarves hot.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Are any of the fan edits of The Hobbit any good, or does its shittiness run too deep? Bloat aside, a lot of it just looks like rear end from what I remember. I know the orcs look miles worse than they did in LotR.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I just found the Dwarven design to just not be compatible with suspense or action

Like they just look too doofy for my suspension of disbelief to take and the whole thing looks bad

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jestery posted:

I just found the Dwarven design to just not be compatible with suspense or action

Like they just look too doofy for my suspension of disbelief to take and the whole thing looks bad

I think that's part of it. They're from a goofier universe than the ones from Lord of the Rings, but the film doesn't lean into that. SMG made a good comparison, pointing out that the sense of aesthetics is much closer to 300 than Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings did everything it could to make sure the world felt grounded and real, not just the costuming, but the film making itself. Everything felt like it could actually exist. Most of the time, the camera moved like a real camera, even in ridiculous scenarios and virtual shots.

The Hobbit frames itself as a crazier thing, a product of it being a story Bilbo is telling Frodo, but it doesn't do enough with it. We whiplash between a semi grounded LOTR take and a much more fanciful version, without ever really choosing. We see little hints of the craziness, like Legolas killing 100 while upside down hanging from a bat, but it needed to take it much further.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

God Hole posted:

I'm going to stand by my 11-year-old self's assessment of the characterization of the dwarves and reassert that the movies' portrayal of them did not measure up :colbert:

Sorry kid, but they have way more personality in the movies. Unique designs, everyone gets their own dialogue (except Bombur and the one with the axe in his head) and something to do. The book usually presents their speech and actions as a collective, not individuals; it's our imagination that has to ascribe them to individual dwarves. For better or worse

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its also really hard to edit the three films down because they repeat emotional moments multiple times so youre either weirdly enlogating threads so the actual payoff is further in making people seem like assholes or your cutting entire movies contributions

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I mean it's also possible that Thorin being emotional and unhinged is characterization

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Tac Dibar posted:

Because for some reason they tried to make the dwarves hot.

Just the one dude, which was a mistake since it meant he didn't have any dwarf make up. Which meant he didn't look like a dwarf. Even Bilbo had gross feet and ears!

Some nerds seem to object to mere presence of the romance, but it's one the genuinely good ideas in the series. The real problem is it's portrayal is beyond tame - it's already an attraction between a mythological miner/smith and woodland sprite; so what if his face is "ugly", it should be! This is a fantasy! About a race war for crying out loud, it could use a good sexy kiss between the dirt man and tree girl

But they chickened out, first by making him look normal attractive (and the elf too, come to think on it) and second by giving them just a chaste kiss on the cheek. 5 armies is the best of the trilogy but that poo poo is weak as hell

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i recently watched this movie Street Law which is an interesting Italian pre-Death Wish oddity where the lead isn't avenging anyone's rape or murder, he's just avenging the fact that some bank robbers beat him up and humiliated him. Worth tracking down, not one of the worst movies of the 2010s or the 1970s for that matter
Saw this one a few weeks ago! I love Castellari and I love poliziotesschi. Most of it is reactionary as gently caress, but there are a few other gems like Execution Squad and Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blood Boils posted:

Sorry kid, but they have way more personality in the movies. Unique designs, everyone gets their own dialogue (except Bombur and the one with the axe in his head) and something to do. The book usually presents their speech and actions as a collective, not individuals; it's our imagination that has to ascribe them to individual dwarves. For better or worse

Bombur was robbed but at least we got Bombur's Battle Barrel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The biggest problem I had with The Hobbit films is they were exactly what everyone feared LOTR would be when they were turned into features.

Just Hollywooded up and down instead of being the grounded pictures with a true creative focus.