Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 23 - Darkness Falls

Cia's Tale, presumably, is done. Still kind of felt like a waste of time. It didn't really tell anything interesting except none of Cia's minions remotely like her. Poor girl has to mind control or use brute force to get any followers. Didn't even get to get with Link or anything. Her life truly is suffering. Really though, wasn't really fond of having to stop and deal with this uneventful stuff that wasn't even entertaining like Linkle's has been. At least now I can move on to the actual story and see what Ganondorf is gonna be up to. I guess consistently playing as a brand new set of characters in Cia and Valgo was kind of neat, but overall I could've done without the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I bought this game for a friend and then bought it myself. My friend gave up after the first boss and I regretted beating the whole shitshow; DLC and all. Those boss fights were hot garbage.

EDIT: I was really excited for this game; Dynasty Warriors and Legend of Zelda seemed like such a great combo. It was; except for those godforsaken bosses.

EDIT2: Funny enough, this was the only game I've played on the Switch. :v:

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 29, 2019

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Try turning off the health bars or setting it to just officers and bosses. It's one of the settings you and I have different on our setups (besides that I play exclusively in portable mode).

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

GenderSelectScreen posted:

I bought this game for a friend and then bought it myself. My friend gave up after the first boss and I regretted beating the whole shitshow; DLC and all. Those boss fights were hot garbage.

EDIT: I was really excited for this game; Dynasty Warriors and Legend of Zelda seemed like such a great combo. It was; except for those godforsaken bosses.

EDIT2: Funny enough, this was the only game I've played on the Switch. :v:
The first boss? Like, the King Dodongo in the first level? That's pretty fast on giving up on a game but whatever. Honestly, the bosses really aren't that bad. Except Manhandla. He can gently caress right off.

mastersord posted:

Try turning off the health bars or setting it to just officers and bosses. It's one of the settings you and I have different on our setups (besides that I play exclusively in portable mode).
Why? You think that will get rid of the visual glitches?

Part 24 - Ganondorf's Return

Finally, I get to see what Ganondorf is up to now. I was expecting him to maybe attack some good guys, why they'd be in the desert I don't know, though I wasn't sure who exactly. Even better, though, he instantly gets Zant and Ghirahim under his thumb and they kick some monster rear end. It doesn't make much sense why these monsters wouldn't already be instantly loyal to Ganondorf or his two henchmen, but I guess then there wouldn't be a level. The triple giant boss battle was a bit much honestly, especially with Manhandla involved. I was doubly surprised to see that I get to play as Ganondorf for the next level too. Poor Lana isn't going to know what hit her. Still feels odd she and Cia can just wield the Triforce of Power like that but oh well.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Not the tutorial one; the ghoma I think? I just found them to be annoying at first until you learned their weakness and then they were just boring. But yeah, that manhandla boss was the worst.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The Gold Skulltula in that mission isn't behind a locked gate. It's in that next corridor to the west.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

TheLoneStar posted:

Why? You think that will get rid of the visual glitches?

I think it might be worth a shot.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

GenderSelectScreen posted:

Not the tutorial one; the ghoma I think? I just found them to be annoying at first until you learned their weakness and then they were just boring. But yeah, that manhandla boss was the worst.
Fair enough. I thought Gohma was one of the least annoying but to each their own. I admit I do sometimes roll my eyes a bit when I have to fight multiple Giant Bosses for a level.

Nidoking posted:

The Gold Skulltula in that mission isn't behind a locked gate. It's in that next corridor to the west.
Well man I just feel dumb now, thanks for letting me know.

mastersord posted:

I think it might be worth a shot.
I appreciate the idea, sadly it didn't seem to really help matters.

Part 25 - March of the Demon King

I can't believe that Lana is loving dead probably. It's times like these that I wish more missions had cutscenes afterwards. So few of them do, and sometimes I kind of want to know what happened right after the battle without waiting to record the next video. Like in this instance if Lana is actually dead or just critically injured or something. The level itself had some hiccups, mainly that ending bit with the Lana clones. It really felt like they were just really loving fast and spawned so close to their escape routes. Though I guess I really should've maneuvered Zant and Ghirahim better. I still find that "phantom" poo poo with Impa amusing. It's just so drat anime it hurts. And only after recording did I realize Ganondorf was making reference to Phantom Ganon by his dialogue after the clone bit was revealed. For some reason I assumed he meant cloning himself in the middle of battle and had no idea what he was going on about.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The original version of this battle was significantly less crowded, and only had two Lana clones. The offsetting factor is that you can't control allies in the Wii U version, so they would try to slow down the Lanas and not always succeed. The initial mission where they get trapped in the keeps is less critical, because you don't lose the battle if they flee, but they go down pretty quickly, and if you lose one, it makes the final sequence that much more difficult. I think it's also worth pointing out that the Lanas all spawn at the Fairy Fountain, but the game created a checkpoint when they'd all made it halfway to their destinations. You have time to deal with them, but you spent some of it not doing that.

You can also tell the real Impa from the clones because the real one is the only one who uses the Biggoron Sword. That information may be useful if you go after all of the Gold Skulltulas later. She also always spawns in the same place, so you can just figure out which one she is and remember it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I find keeping the mook lifebars on helpful in discriminating which troops are allies and enemies sometimes.

The Triforces of Courage and Wisdom seem to have more subtle effects, like IIRC possessing the Triforce of Wisdom is supposedly part of what makes Zelda usually such a good ruler (Hyrule is usually in a pretty good state before Ganondorf starts loving poo poo up) and the Triforce of Courage is what gives Link his perseverance against overwhelming odds. The Triforce even might have checks and balances worked into each of its three aspects. Ganon always manages to defeat Zelda, and Link always defeats Ganon. So if Zelda was ever the villain in a Zelda game, Link might need to watch out.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
The only other thing I've read about the glitches is it can be caused by playing extremely long sessions (>4 hours) and also sleeping the game between sessions. It's a memory leak and it should go away if you close out the game software and open it again.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/230454-hyrule-warriors-definitive-edition/77509629

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Nidoking posted:

The original version of this battle was significantly less crowded, and only had two Lana clones. The offsetting factor is that you can't control allies in the Wii U version, so they would try to slow down the Lanas and not always succeed. The initial mission where they get trapped in the keeps is less critical, because you don't lose the battle if they flee, but they go down pretty quickly, and if you lose one, it makes the final sequence that much more difficult. I think it's also worth pointing out that the Lanas all spawn at the Fairy Fountain, but the game created a checkpoint when they'd all made it halfway to their destinations. You have time to deal with them, but you spent some of it not doing that.

You can also tell the real Impa from the clones because the real one is the only one who uses the Biggoron Sword. That information may be useful if you go after all of the Gold Skulltulas later. She also always spawns in the same place, so you can just figure out which one she is and remember it.
I did notice that I had a good chance to take them all out in hindsight. In my defense, I don't think I've come across such a mechanic of permanently fleeing opponents that'd make the entire mission fail. Or, if I did and just forgot, I managed to defeat the fleeing opponent before it was too late. I just kind of assumed they'd scatter across the map and I'd have to hunt them down as they ran away. I didn't think they'd have special markers that'd end the level if they reached them.

What do the Impas have to do with the Gold Skulltula? I already got the one of that level.

Commander Keene posted:

I find keeping the mook lifebars on helpful in discriminating which troops are allies and enemies sometimes.

The Triforces of Courage and Wisdom seem to have more subtle effects, like IIRC possessing the Triforce of Wisdom is supposedly part of what makes Zelda usually such a good ruler (Hyrule is usually in a pretty good state before Ganondorf starts loving poo poo up) and the Triforce of Courage is what gives Link his perseverance against overwhelming odds. The Triforce even might have checks and balances worked into each of its three aspects. Ganon always manages to defeat Zelda, and Link always defeats Ganon. So if Zelda was ever the villain in a Zelda game, Link might need to watch out.
That's true, didn't think of that. I might as well keep them on anyway since it didn't help with the glitches.

Really? I don't think I've ever heard of that. Of course I have to nitpick because it's my nature, but that doesn't explain times where neither she or Link have their Triforce pieces like anything pre-Ocarina of Time or in the Adult Timeline. And honestly I feel like it'd cheapen their positive qualities if part of their personal strengths are due to a magical force handed over to them. Maybe Ganondorf being the reincarnated hatred of a demon has something to do with his powers. I honestly don't think Nintendo put too much thought into it.

mastersord posted:

The only other thing I've read about the glitches is it can be caused by playing extremely long sessions (>4 hours) and also sleeping the game between sessions. It's a memory leak and it should go away if you close out the game software and open it again.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/230454-hyrule-warriors-definitive-edition/77509629
I'll try that for the next video and see if it helps at all. I do just keep my Switch on in its port all the time, so it'd sure explain a lot...

Part 26 - Battle of the Triforce

Well, that was...surprisingly short. Like very noticeably so. Not that I'm particularly complaining. If anything, the past two missions dragged somewhat so it was kind of a nice breather level. I was kind of expecting Link or Zelda to escape in the end, the mission being a technical success despite that. I didn't think Ganondorf would actually get the entire Triforce like that. Technically that really should be an automatic win...though on the other hand that didn't stop him from being sealed away at the start of the Fallen Timeline but now I'm really just nerding out and picking poo poo apart. I can't help it, it's what I do. I may point these things out, but I don't care enough to be genuinely bothered by them. In any case, I'm guessing that it will be this game's way of allowing Ganondorf to achieve his Ganon form, rather than just needing the Triforce of Power to do it. Feels like he would've gone full pig monster already if he could've done so the entire time.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

TheLoneStar posted:

What do the Impas have to do with the Gold Skulltula? I already got the one of that level.

:allears:

I think the issue with this level was that you were much stronger than the game expected you to be for this difficulty. The main story missions are horribly unbalanced compared to the new mechanics in this version, like character swapping. It's meant to be difficult to defeat either Link or Zelda quickly, so you need to wear one down, then go fight the other, and finally go back and finish the first before they both recover. Being able to swap characters instead of running saves a lot of time. They also rapidly take keeps with their Triforce powers. The first time I played this mission, I hadn't leveled Ganondorf, so they got all the way to my base and I was trying to fight them both at once so I could finish them at the same time. I got much better at it later on. Impa can also present a threat if you're not grossly overpowered, since you only have so long to defeat her.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think at this point we should all just accept the fact that your copy of Hyrule Warriors is haunted. Don't mind the screaming faces in the trees or the lake of blood.

Ganondorf's Stand is definitely War Pigs. Not only does it have the word "pig" in the name, the song is a condemnation of war, while Ganondorf is a force of war and destruction.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Nidoking posted:

:allears:

I think the issue with this level was that you were much stronger than the game expected you to be for this difficulty. The main story missions are horribly unbalanced compared to the new mechanics in this version, like character swapping. It's meant to be difficult to defeat either Link or Zelda quickly, so you need to wear one down, then go fight the other, and finally go back and finish the first before they both recover. Being able to swap characters instead of running saves a lot of time. They also rapidly take keeps with their Triforce powers. The first time I played this mission, I hadn't leveled Ganondorf, so they got all the way to my base and I was trying to fight them both at once so I could finish them at the same time. I got much better at it later on. Impa can also present a threat if you're not grossly overpowered, since you only have so long to defeat her.
That emoji worries me.

Well it did just feel like there was less stuff to accomplish in that last Ganondorf level as well compared to the other two. Felt like the first one especially just kept going and going.

Commander Keene posted:

I think at this point we should all just accept the fact that your copy of Hyrule Warriors is haunted. Don't mind the screaming faces in the trees or the lake of blood.

Ganondorf's Stand is definitely War Pigs. Not only does it have the word "pig" in the name, the song is a condemnation of war, while Ganondorf is a force of war and destruction.
It honestly didn't seem to be so bad this episode. I do want to see horrid eldritch sights though.

That's absolutely perfect.

Part 27 - Enduring Resolve

It's good to play as Link again. I do love how the first thing Ganondorf does while getting the complete Triforce is to summon more generic mooks and then skedaddle. Kind of underwhelming, really. In any case, this level was also pretty short, but at least fell=t a bit busier than the last. Having to keep Lana safe and beat Zant and Ghirahim multiple times...sorta. Wasn't expecting my allies from across space and time to make a return...and of course I took zero advantage of it. Agitha looking like she was completely lost and had no idea what was happening was hilarious to me though, so that's always fun. Not much else to say except the next mission seems like it'll be the last in the main story. Kind of wish Linkle's story got wrapped up first since the game ending on the actual main story ending would be far better.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 28 - Liberation of the Triforce

And so the main story comes to a close. It was a long ride with a few twists and turns along the way. I still find Cia's main goal to be rather humorous. I know the game never says this, but it pretty much seems like her big evil plan is to capture Hyrule and Link so she can bone him for all eternity or something. Those statues within her domain also spell some...unfortunate possible further plans. Still kind of funny because of how unusual it is, especially for a Zelda game even if it isn't a canon one. Even if it wasn't taken to its fullest advantage, traveling to other times and versions of Hyrule was pretty neat as well. The final level itself was fine with the corrupted Hyrule Castle and the surrounding area and all that. I do like how the Ganon fight is basically all the other bosses rolled into one. The horns opening into giant plant mouths is kind of odd, though. A really subdued and quick ending as well after Ganon got loving decimated by the Triforce. Not even a credit scene or anything. In any case, next is what I must assume is Linkle's final level and the last video of the playthrough. Kind of a lame note to end on, but what can be done?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Linkle is a living anticlimax.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

Linkle is a living anticlimax.
Turns out that's not quite the case, as it seems...

Part 29 - The Other Hero

Linkle's Tale is finally done. It was a pretty amusing little side story with a plucky and dimwitted protagonist that I liked pretty much off the bat. I still don't like how her last mission came after the main story's final level, but I suppose that's part of the joke, isn't it? The level itself was okay, I like how they brought in the classic King Dodongo for it. I still have to question why they redesigned him at all, it's so needless. Gohma at least has had some drastic redesigns and forms over the years, but there's only ever been one explicit King Dodongo. I mean I guess it really doesn't matter, I'm just nitpicking. Kind of a shame that Link and Linkle didn't get to meet though.

But yeah...Wind Waker storyline. Sure as heck wasn't expecting that. Really wonder just what the heck could be going on now with both Cia and Ganondorf defeated...In any case, a welcome surprise.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Linkle's ability to shoot bombs is definitely a reference to Bomb Arrows, which were in Twilight Princess and (IIRC) Link's Awakening.

Sheik is my favorite character to use in Gibdo-heavy stages, because her water barrier (YX and then X) renders her immune to attacks until it's broken, and this includes "status effects" like the stun the Gibdos/Redead Knights impose. And since the stun deals no damage, IIRC it never breaks the barrier. She's also really good in "All Attacks are Devastating" and "Don't Get Hit" stages in Adventure Mode.

I spent longer than I should have hammering at the invulnerable King Dodongo in this stage before realizing what I needed to do. I blame the lack of an English dub. :colbert: Without voiced lines, the message spam gets so constant and omnipresent that it's hard to pick out objectives from meaningless chatter and still concentrate on the fighting. The real difficulty of a Warriors game isn't in the combat, it's in the message spam.

In the Wii U version, the credits rolled after Liberation of the Triforce. Linkle's Tale and the Wind Waker arc were added in Legends. DLC added the characters from Legends to the Wii U version, but not the stages.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

Linkle's ability to shoot bombs is definitely a reference to Bomb Arrows, which were in Twilight Princess and (IIRC) Link's Awakening.

Sheik is my favorite character to use in Gibdo-heavy stages, because her water barrier (YX and then X) renders her immune to attacks until it's broken, and this includes "status effects" like the stun the Gibdos/Redead Knights impose. And since the stun deals no damage, IIRC it never breaks the barrier. She's also really good in "All Attacks are Devastating" and "Don't Get Hit" stages in Adventure Mode.

I spent longer than I should have hammering at the invulnerable King Dodongo in this stage before realizing what I needed to do. I blame the lack of an English dub. :colbert: Without voiced lines, the message spam gets so constant and omnipresent that it's hard to pick out objectives from meaningless chatter and still concentrate on the fighting. The real difficulty of a Warriors game isn't in the combat, it's in the message spam.
Well, that makes sense. It's just funny with Linkle because it's just a big ol' bomb coming out with no arrow attached.

I recall it being mentioned that there was one character who could be totally immune to the paralyzing effects of the Gibdos/ReDead Knights. Guess that answers who that character is.

I've had that problem too, with me just trying to focus on the battle as the characters yammer on only to notice a new side mission has begun. Sometimes these guys really just won't shut the gently caress up...

Part 30 - A New Disturbance

Not even a God drat week and already trouble is brewing once more in Hyrule. That poor kingdom just can't get a break, can it? I do like how Tetra really clashes with the more gritty and realistic backgrounds and such of the cutscene. Fitting for a Toon character in such a predicament. Even though I've played such stages in the Adventure Mode, it's still a breath of fresh air to have a totally new bit of scenery for the Legends Mode. I'm so incredibly perplexed that the Hammer isn't the Skull Hammer considering where I get it and all that. I'm also wondering just what the heck is going on storywise. It seems like it's maybe Ganondorf somehow doing this since we had that scene with Lana holding his soul. Then again, the next level mentions looking for Cia, which is unusual since I was under the impression that she and Lana became one again. Only time will tell, I suppose...

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

My favorite part was when you were talking about how you hadn't found the Heart Container, stopped two feet away from the Heart Container, and then ran the other way while talking about how you didn't care about the Heart Container anyway.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Link doesn't have the Master Sword in cutscenes because... officially, he doesn't have the Master Sword. They put it back, remember? It's presumably back to sealing part of Ganon's spirit in the pedestal.

I think the LttP-era Hammer is a nice touch, even if it would have made more sense for them to use the WW Hammer.

The AI sometimes has weird priorities in this version of the game; I blame it on the command system not originally being in the game. Sometimes controlling a character cancels their previous orders and sometimes it doesn't. I think Link was headed back to the Glutton's Keep or thereabouts, because those were the last orders you gave him. Fire Emblem Warriors handles the system a bit better, in addition to AI characters being a bit more competent overall, as long as they have the advantage (the game implements FE-style weapon triangles instead of HW's moveset elements).

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Nidoking posted:

My favorite part was when you were talking about how you hadn't found the Heart Container, stopped two feet away from the Heart Container, and then ran the other way while talking about how you didn't care about the Heart Container anyway.
Well I must be blind as a bat then, I didn't even realize I was that close from a boulder. N-Not that I wanted that Heart Container anyway haha.

Commander Keene posted:

Link doesn't have the Master Sword in cutscenes because... officially, he doesn't have the Master Sword. They put it back, remember? It's presumably back to sealing part of Ganon's spirit in the pedestal.

I think the LttP-era Hammer is a nice touch, even if it would have made more sense for them to use the WW Hammer.

The AI sometimes has weird priorities in this version of the game; I blame it on the command system not originally being in the game. Sometimes controlling a character cancels their previous orders and sometimes it doesn't. I think Link was headed back to the Glutton's Keep or thereabouts, because those were the last orders you gave him. Fire Emblem Warriors handles the system a bit better, in addition to AI characters being a bit more competent overall, as long as they have the advantage (the game implements FE-style weapon triangles instead of HW's moveset elements).
Blind and also forgetful, that whole fact slipped my mind somehow.

I mean I guess it's nice that it's a specific hammer at all, but the Skull Hammer would've been cooler and more fitting.

That makes sense, yeah. I just expected him to finish up the enemies that were right next to him before moving on to the target keep or something I guess. Gotta remember to not rely on the AI for intelligence of even that level...

Part 31 - The Search for Cia

As it turns out, Cia is alive. I really could've sworn that she simply returned to being one with Lana when she faded away earlier on. I don't think I mentioned it, but I could've sworn I saw Lana's eyes like, glow for just a moment as if two being became one once more. I thought perhaps Cia simply split up from her again for some reason, and so she started causing trouble again. Still makes me wonder what she wants with the Wind Waker world. Maybe I'm onto something with the fact that Toon Link hasn't been seen or mentioned yet. At any rate, it felt good to finally clip the Helmaroc King's wings. Feathery bastard won't be running around bothering us anymore...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I was as surprised by the revelation that Cia was still alive as you were my first time playing Definitive. My interpretation of the final cutscene in the main plot was less "Kami and Piccolo fused back into one" and more "Press F to pay respects", though. I thought Cia was straight-up loving dead. IIRC, Cia is supposed to be the original seer, and Lana is the cast-away goodness from Cia's heart after Ganondorf corrupted her. So, more like a reverse Kami situation, then.

There are a lot of costumes, I'm not going to blame you for not unlocking all of them. Most of them are simple palette-swaps, like Lana's in that last video. Some are completely new outfits, though. I think only Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Cia, Lana, Young Link, and Toon Link have actual new costumes.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

I was as surprised by the revelation that Cia was still alive as you were my first time playing Definitive. My interpretation of the final cutscene in the main plot was less "Kami and Piccolo fused back into one" and more "Press F to pay respects", though. I thought Cia was straight-up loving dead. IIRC, Cia is supposed to be the original seer, and Lana is the cast-away goodness from Cia's heart after Ganondorf corrupted her. So, more like a reverse Kami situation, then.

There are a lot of costumes, I'm not going to blame you for not unlocking all of them. Most of them are simple palette-swaps, like Lana's in that last video. Some are completely new outfits, though. I think only Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Cia, Lana, Young Link, and Toon Link have actual new costumes.
I swear I saw Lana's eyes glow or change color or something and thought that was a sign of the two becoming one again. Even so, her just fading away doesn't explain why she's back to life now. And usually when people split into their good and evil halves in media, it's the good person having the darkness in them ripped out and manifesting into a new entity or something along those lines. I just kind of assumed it was the same situation here.

Yeah, I remember looking at all the outfits a year or two ago when reading about the game and noticed how few unique outfits there were. And you're right except for Young Link, he only has palette swaps. Hell, some of the DLC characters like Marina and Yuga don't even get to have that, oddly enough.

Part 32 - Reclaiming the Darkness

So it turns out Cia is just kind of alive still for no reason in particular. Her death, or merge with Lana as I thought it was, seemed pretty final but I guess not. It was anticlimactic too, just like "Oh, she's out there somewhere so we gotta find her." which was odd. In any case, this level was just annoying because I had to keep repeating poo poo over and over near the end with the same types of enemies being summoned and re-summoned which forced me to run around the map multiple times to kill them all. I'm also a bit bummed that, at least it seems, there's no Toon Link involved here which is kind of a bummer. Two Links teaming up, even in the shallow fashion of a Warriors game, would be kind of cool. Like I said in the video, I guess there's only room in the spotlight for a single Link. Dunno how I feel about Phantom Ganon being the main villain in this, especially considering this is what I assume to be the last storyline of Legends Mode. I can't imagine there'd be more after this. It's not a bad thing, really. Just a bit unusual.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TheLoneStar posted:

Yeah, I remember looking at all the outfits a year or two ago when reading about the game and noticed how few unique outfits there were. And you're right except for Young Link, he only has palette swaps. Hell, some of the DLC characters like Marina and Yuga don't even get to have that, oddly enough.
Weird, I thought Young Link had a Dark Link-esque costume.

TheLoneStar posted:

Part 32 - Reclaiming the Darkness

So it turns out Cia is just kind of alive still for no reason in particular. Her death, or merge with Lana as I thought it was, seemed pretty final but I guess not. It was anticlimactic too, just like "Oh, she's out there somewhere so we gotta find her." which was odd. In any case, this level was just annoying because I had to keep repeating poo poo over and over near the end with the same types of enemies being summoned and re-summoned which forced me to run around the map multiple times to kill them all. I'm also a bit bummed that, at least it seems, there's no Toon Link involved here which is kind of a bummer. Two Links teaming up, even in the shallow fashion of a Warriors game, would be kind of cool. Like I said in the video, I guess there's only room in the spotlight for a single Link. Dunno how I feel about Phantom Ganon being the main villain in this, especially considering this is what I assume to be the last storyline of Legends Mode. I can't imagine there'd be more after this. It's not a bad thing, really. Just a bit unusual.
The whole Wind Waker plotline is a bit weird and half-baked, IMO. Cia's suddenly back alive (and not evil) and Phantom Ganon (who never has any dialogue or indication that he's not just a part of Ganondorf) is the main villain. It kinda feels to me like they needed something to add to the story for Legends, so they went for the next most popular Zelda, whether or not they could make a good plotline out of it. Then again, Warriors games (especially the crossovers) aren't really known for their writing.

And if you want to see two (or more) Links teaming up, you'll have to settle for either Adventure Mode stages or Four Swords, unfortunately.

TheLoneStar posted:

"Link, have my babies!"
Going with the Trip Tucker method, eh?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

Weird, I thought Young Link had a Dark Link-esque costume.

The whole Wind Waker plotline is a bit weird and half-baked, IMO. Cia's suddenly back alive (and not evil) and Phantom Ganon (who never has any dialogue or indication that he's not just a part of Ganondorf) is the main villain. It kinda feels to me like they needed something to add to the story for Legends, so they went for the next most popular Zelda, whether or not they could make a good plotline out of it. Then again, Warriors games (especially the crossovers) aren't really known for their writing.

And if you want to see two (or more) Links teaming up, you'll have to settle for either Adventure Mode stages or Four Swords, unfortunately.

Going with the Trip Tucker method, eh?
Nope, afraid not. Regular Link has one though, and you can check all of them out here: https://zelda.gamepedia.com/Costume

Yeah, it is pretty clumsy. Like you said though, the Warriors games don't seem to always have good writing so I'm not too terribly shocked. I remember in Pirate Warriors 3 it ended with the arc villain just like...running and everyone is like "Well, that's all done I guess, game's over." I get that the actual arc in the manga wasn't done so they were a bit in a bind, but the way it was handled still felt all sorts of clumsy.

It would be kind of funny to have the three Links in one stage, since it'd be two Proxis and Aryll talking to each other in the place of each Link.

Wasn't even aware of that character, but whatever works I suppose.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 33 - Watchers of the Triforce

And at long last the finale comes. The actual real finale this time. A surprising lack of Medli considering the level. The whole thing was kind of anticlimactic. This whole storyline was just kind of like "Oh, Phantom Ganon's a thing we gotta stop him." and then "Oh, there's Phantom Ganon let's go stop him!" which was a bit lackluster after the Ganon fight and the cutscenes involved. I'm not even sure if I was fighting him right, but I guess my Link was just so overleveled and so powerful that it didn't really matter. I just kept tapping the attack button until the boss died. At least Ganon had more to him to that, despite my overly powerful Link. At least we got the nice happy ending, but for real this time. The Cia bits were kind of weird and had no real explanation, but I guess it's harmless enough.

So that's the playthrough done. I really did have a fun time with the game overall, despite any complaints I've given as I went. The Warriors style of gameplay is always fun and I doubt I'll get tired of it no matter how many of them I play. That combined with my general love of the Zelda franchise just went hand-in-hand. The story was kind of shallow, but I get that that's sort of just how Warriors games are so I don't really hold it against the game too much. The abundance of characters, especially some rather obscure ones, along with all the different playstyles and weapons they had were a real treat. Some of the most fun I had was using a new character/weapon for the first time and just going to town with it. I'd really love to see a true sequel rather than just tacking more characters and miniature storylines on top of an existing game. I'd play the the poo poo out of Hyrule Warriors 2, with a completely new story to go through. Honestly, Yuga would just be perfect given the kind of villain he is and the powers he possesses. I won't hold my breath for it though, but I'd happily buy it if it were to become a thing.

Pray for my soul, because now I have to tackle Breath of the Wild...

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think you might have enjoyed the game more if you'd played in Hard mode, especially for some of the later levels. Phantom Ganon is pretty tough to fight if you're not destroying him with normal attacks.

Medli was the free DLC character for Legends, at which point she was also available as a free download for the Wii U version. So she wasn't around in time to be part of the story. Would have fit well, though.

Character pages in the Gallery are unlocked in Adventure Mode, for some reason.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Phantom Ganon is actually pretty annoying if you aren't overlevelled. He has two phases, in the first he hangs out at long range and you have to hit the energy balls he shoots back at him to stun him, and then once he closes in you need to hit him in the back several times to reveal his weak point. The second phase especially is tricky, since he teleports around so much and tends to go for back attacks himself.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

As for actual alternate costumes, Link and Zelda both have their Ocarina/Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword designs, Link has the Postman from Twilight Princess, Zelda has Ilya from Twilight Princess, Ganondorf has his Ocarina/Wind Waker/Twilight Princess designs, Lana and Cia each have a costume that's supposed to be the outfit the original Seer of Time wore (you see it in those stylized cutscenes a few times; it looks like a robe with Cia's hat). I thought each Link had a Dark Link costume, but it turns out it's just base Link; it's the reward for finishing that first illustration from the Gold Skulltulas. That's interesting, because a bunch of characters already have "Dark" costumes that the game uses in Adventure Mode (and in the case of Dark Cia, during Legend Mode), and the Rewards Map has a few other stages where the battle rewards are costumes. I haven't completed all the illustrations yet, so I don't know what the rewards are for all of them, but I had assumed due to the first stage's reward being Dark Link that you'd be unlocking the "Dark" costumes for other characters as well.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Nidoking posted:

I think you might have enjoyed the game more if you'd played in Hard mode, especially for some of the later levels. Phantom Ganon is pretty tough to fight if you're not destroying him with normal attacks.

Medli was the free DLC character for Legends, at which point she was also available as a free download for the Wii U version. So she wasn't around in time to be part of the story. Would have fit well, though.

Character pages in the Gallery are unlocked in Adventure Mode, for some reason.
I mean I still enjoyed it plenty, even with the couple of gripes I had.

Ah, I see. It's still odd to have a level set in her temple without her actually showing up.

I recall that now, yeah. For some reason I was under the impression I had already unlocked them all.

kvx687 posted:

Phantom Ganon is actually pretty annoying if you aren't overlevelled. He has two phases, in the first he hangs out at long range and you have to hit the energy balls he shoots back at him to stun him, and then once he closes in you need to hit him in the back several times to reveal his weak point. The second phase especially is tricky, since he teleports around so much and tends to go for back attacks himself.
Aw man, I missed out on Dead Man's Volley? Kind of a shame, really. The other stuff sounds like a pain so I think missing out on most of it may have been worth it.

Commander Keene posted:

As for actual alternate costumes, Link and Zelda both have their Ocarina/Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword designs, Link has the Postman from Twilight Princess, Zelda has Ilya from Twilight Princess, Ganondorf has his Ocarina/Wind Waker/Twilight Princess designs, Lana and Cia each have a costume that's supposed to be the outfit the original Seer of Time wore (you see it in those stylized cutscenes a few times; it looks like a robe with Cia's hat). I thought each Link had a Dark Link costume, but it turns out it's just base Link; it's the reward for finishing that first illustration from the Gold Skulltulas. That's interesting, because a bunch of characters already have "Dark" costumes that the game uses in Adventure Mode (and in the case of Dark Cia, during Legend Mode), and the Rewards Map has a few other stages where the battle rewards are costumes. I haven't completed all the illustrations yet, so I don't know what the rewards are for all of them, but I had assumed due to the first stage's reward being Dark Link that you'd be unlocking the "Dark" costumes for other characters as well.
I do wish there were more original outfits, like giving some of the characters something to wear that's not even really from Zelda. I dunno, just something more than it being about 90% palette swaps. I admit I really would've loved a Dark Toon Link like what he gets in the Smash games. He just looks so goofy with that look on him and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's not like it would have been difficult to do, either; it's technically a palette swap, just one that has a bit more relevance to the games than whatever puke-green-and-pink monstrosity they decided on during an office drinking party.

I just remembered that Ruto and Darunia have Lulu and Darmani themed costumes as well. They're also technically palette swaps, but they're some of the better ones because they actually look like the characters (it does help that the MM characters were pretty much palette swaps of the OoT ones).